watchOS 7.6.1 now available with patch for known security exploit

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has released watchOS 7.6.1 with a security update that patches a known exploit that may have been actively used.

watchOS 7.6.1 patches a known security exploit
watchOS 7.6.1 patches a known security exploit

The new release patches an exploit that enabled apps to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple says that it is aware of a report in which the issue could have been actively exploited.

The new update will automatically install overnight as long as the Apple Watch is connected to power. Users can manually install the update by opening the Watch app, selecting General, then Software Update to start the update process.

The exploit was reported using the code CVE-2021-30807 by an anonymous researcher. The details of the exploit have not been publicized by Apple nor the report database.

AppleInsider previously reported that watchOS 7.6.1 had released on Wednesday, July 28, due to release notes being available for the update. However, Apple didn't officially release the update until July 29.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Yeah, I saw yesterday's article this morning and I was like where is it?

Downloading now.....
  • Reply 2 of 8
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Contrary to popular belief, apps in the Apple AppStore have plenty of malware. Pro security tip: erase any/all apps you don’t use . Keep only what you use on your iPhone, remove everything else. 

darkvaderronn
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    digitol said:
    Contrary to popular belief, apps in the Apple AppStore have plenty of malware. Pro security tip: erase any/all apps you don’t use . Keep only what you use on your iPhone, remove everything else. 

Blathering nonsense.
    buttesilverp-dog
  • Reply 4 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple continues to install updates "overnight while connected to power" while pushing using the watch for sleep tracking.
    The two are obviously incompatible.

My iPhone / CarPlay almost always knows where I'm going to go when I get in my car (I guess I'm pretty predicable!).  Yesterday I got in my car and it informed me that I was 20 minutes from where I intended to go for a run.
    You would think that they could figure out that my watch is never connected to power overnight because its on my wrist!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    After installing this update, my series 6 still doesn’t unlock from my iPhone as it did prior to 7.6. I’ve rebooted both….turned off/on this unlock feature…still doesn’t work. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    After installing this update, my series 6 still doesn’t unlock from my iPhone as it did prior to 7.6. I’ve rebooted both….turned off/on this unlock feature…still doesn’t work. 
    Regrettably, I am having the exact same experience with my  Watch 6 post-update.  :'(
  • Reply 7 of 8
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    digitol said:

That’s overblown crap.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Anecdotally, it seems to have improved battery life somewhat as well.  After the 7.6 update, I noticed that my battery was down to 50-55% when I went to bed (after fully charging in the morning, i.e. 6:30-ish) when it was usually 60-75%.  Last night when I went to bed, it was more "normal", i.e. for me.

Hope that trend continues. :wink: 

GeorgeBMac