Elon Musk asking to be Apple CEO allegedly led to profanity-laced tirade from Tim Cook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    byronlbyronl Posts: 371member
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    Elon is lying. Him and Tim have met before. Unless he means never met before about acquisition.
    Back in April Cook also claimed they have never met or spoken before.
    he claimed they haven’t spoken, but they have met, at that trump thingy 
  • Reply 22 of 35
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    shamino said:
    This article fails to mention the book author’s name, but he now has zero credibility. I very much doubt this happened IRL. 
    AI failed to mention it.  FWIW, The LA Times book review it links to names the author: Tim Higgins.  And provides a link to the LA Times Bookshop site, where you can pre-order a copy.
    Came here to say the same thing. If you’re going to refer to the author in your article, isn’t it 101 to provide his/her name? Why should the forum posters have to do this?
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    Elon is lying. Him and Tim have met before. Unless he means never met before about acquisition.

What the fu**?!

I’m having a Mandela Effect moment. I clearly remember Cook meeting with him over the course of a month, reading rumors about what they may have discussed and in the end nothing coming of it.

I even remember a photo of Tim and Elon walking on grass at Tesla and reading the story here on AI.

Maybe I’m confusing Elon with someone else? This is insane. To make things worse this isn’t a “new” memory. I’ve remembered this since about 2016 when I read that article.

The madela effect is such a funny thing. I almost had it here 'remembering' that elon spoke with tim at a party, then remembered it was actually Jobs.

The crazy thing is, I remember the event and articles vividly. I can even paraphrase some of the sentences.

”Tim Cook has been spending a lot of time with Elon Musk recently.”
    ”Tim and Elon have been meeting privately over the course of a month. Though the reasons have remained secret”.

I’m going crazy trying to find what (if anything) I’ve confused this event with. Anyone have a clue? Who did Tim Cook meet with privately over the course of a month and nothing came of it? Was it Eddie Cue?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:

What the fu**?!

I’m having a Mandela Effect moment. I clearly remember Cook meeting with him over the course of a month, reading rumors about what they may have discussed and in the end nothing coming of it.

I even remember a photo of Tim and Elon walking on grass at Tesla and reading the story here on AI.

Maybe I’m confusing Elon with someone else? This is insane. To make things worse this isn’t a “new” memory. I’ve remembered this since about 2016 when I read that article.

The madela effect is such a funny thing. I almost had it here 'remembering' that elon spoke with tim at a party, then remembered it was actually Jobs.

The crazy thing is, I remember the event and articles vividly. I can even paraphrase some of the sentences.

”Tim and Elon have been meeting privately over the course of a month. Though the reasons have remained secret”.

I’m going crazy trying to find what (if anything) I’ve confused this event with. Anyone have a clue? Who did Tim Cook meet with privately over the course of a month and nothing came of it? Was it Eddie Cue?
    Hmm, maybe thinking of Jack Ma?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Since when is one F-bomb considered a "profanity-laced tirade"?
    edited July 2021 spock1234dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    What the fu**?!

Maybe Jony Ive and some of the mergers and acquisitions staff at Apple:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/25/apples-jony-ive-and-teslas-elon-musk-inseparable-in-conversation-at-oscars-after-party
    https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-m-a-chief-reportedly-met-with-tesla-ceo-elon-musk/

Musk was also reported to have met with Larry Page:

https://bgr.com/general/tesla-elon-musk-larry-page-secret-apartment/

It says here he tried to sell Tesla to Apple when it was valued at $60b and Tim Cook didn't take the call:

https://electrek.co/2020/12/22/elon-musk-sell-tesla-to-apple/

Tim and Elon have been in the same room together as people have mentioned. They might have even had a conversation but not the conversation as it's worded in the book. It may have been paraphrased.

edited July 2021
  • Reply 27 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While it is highly doubtful that this ever took place, it does raise the question of:
    "Where would Apple be now, 5 years later, if Musk had taken the reins in 2016?"

One thing is certain:  They wouldn't be where they are today.

Cook is a logistics and financial guy -- so he has turned Apple into an IBM (of old):  solid, reliable and largely unadvanturous.
    Musk is the opposite:   He runs on the edge of the cliff of innovation.

To Cook, profit is as important as product -- and very possibly that product is simply a way of making profit.
    To Musk, profit is a merely means to an end -- it's purpose is to fund future innovation.
    ...  Which is similar to how America's industrial barons viewed it 100 years ago:  Simply as a means of keeping score.

Musk and Cook are both great leaders -- but polar opposites of each other.
    elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    byronl said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    he claimed they haven’t spoken, but they have met, at that trump thingy 
    Well, Elon Musk definitely met Tony Stark at a luncheon. They talked about new technology. I SAW it on screen so it must be true. Then Mickey Rourke tried to kill Robert Downey Jr. with his electric bullwhip. True.
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    Marvin said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    What the fu**?!

https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/25/apples-jony-ive-and-teslas-elon-musk-inseparable-in-conversation-at-oscars-after-party
    https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-m-a-chief-reportedly-met-with-tesla-ceo-elon-musk/

It says here he tried to sell Tesla to Apple when it was valued at $60b and Tim Cook didn't take the call:

Tim and Elon have been in the same room together as people have mentioned. They might have even had a conversation but not the conversation as it's worded in the book. It may have been paraphrased.

The man on the left clearly does not wish to be there. 

What is even the point of this article? Unnamed author writes book that includes sensational thing that probably didn’t happen. What is the point of that?

Consider the three-filter test for sharing of information, often apocryphally attributed to Socrates:

1. Is it true?
    2. Is it good?
    3. Is it useful?

This one fails all three. 
    spock1234ronndysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    dk49dk49 Posts: 280member
    I don't think that this ever happened. Elon wouldn't want to take on the entire responsibility for Apple, given his already busy schedule and his focus on spacex. From Apple's perspective also, I think Tim knew already that having Elon report to him wouldn't work. So unless Tesla was ready to sell itself to Apple without Elon, it wouldn't have worked.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    AppleZulu said:
    Marvin said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Hagen said:
    Beats said:
    What the fu**?!

The man on the left clearly does not wish to be there. 

What is even the point of this article? Unnamed author writes book that includes sensational thing that probably didn’t happen. What is the point of that?

Consider the three-filter test for sharing of information, often apocryphally attributed to Socrates:

1. Is it true?
    2. Is it good?
    3. Is it useful?

This one fails all three. 

Yeh, it's fiction....
    ...  But what if....
  • Reply 32 of 35
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 161member

Brilliant observation! Thanks for letting us know that if things that didn’t happen, happened, things would not be the way they are now.

If Apple bought Tesla, it would certainly not be valued as highly as it is. The market values Tesla so highly only because of their love affair with Elon and SpaceX. Any other company with Tesla’s numbers would be valued at 1/10 their market cap. And, if Elon was CEO of Apple, it would be worth 5 trillion.

If Tesla delivers a product 4 years late, it’s because Elon’s ‘vision’ is so far ahead of our times. But if Apple ships a product three months late because of chip shortages, it’s because Apple is a ‘beleaguered’ company run by a supply chain robot. That’s life. :shrug: 
    ronnRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    spock1234 said:

Brilliant observation! Thanks for letting us know that if things that didn’t happen, happened, things would not be the way they are now.

If Apple bought Tesla, it would certainly not be valued as highly as it is. The market values Tesla so highly only because of their love affair with Elon and SpaceX. Any other company with Tesla’s numbers would be valued at 1/10 their market cap. And, if Elon was CEO of Apple, it would be worth 5 trillion.

If Tesla delivers a product 4 years late, it’s because Elon’s ‘vision’ is so far ahead of our times. But if Apple ships a product three months late because of chip shortages, it’s because Apple is a ‘beleaguered’ company run by a supply chain robot. That’s life. :shrug: 

Just to be fair, what I ACTUALLY said was:
    While it is highly doubtful that this ever took place, it does raise the question of:

Cook is a logistics and financial guy -- so he has turned Apple into an IBM (of old):  solid, reliable and largely unadvanturous.
    Musk is the opposite:   He runs on the edge of the cliff of innovation.

To Cook, profit is as important as product -- and very possibly that product is simply a way of making profit.
    To Musk, profit is a merely means to an end -- it's purpose is to fund future innovation.
    ...  Which is similar to how America's industrial barons viewed it 100 years ago:  Simply as a means of keeping score.

Musk and Cook are both great leaders -- but polar opposites of each other.
    elijahg
  • Reply 34 of 35
    If the story was true, Steve Jobs would've been proud.
    spock1234muthuk_vanalingam