Titanium Apple Watch Series 6 unavailable for pick-up from many Apple Stores

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The wide unavailability of the Apple Watch Series 6 in titanium points to Apple significantly limiting its production run, with one report proposing Apple could ditch the titanium "Edition" model entirely.

The Apple Watch Edition version of the Apple Watch Series 6 houses the wearable device in a titanium or Space Black titanium case. However, according to a report, the availability of the model is quite limited.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, the titanium model is listed as unavailable for pickup from Apple Stores in the United States, as well as other major markets. AppleInsider confirmed the situation with its own checks.

Apple has yet to officially discontinue the model, but it seems plausible given rumors of a new Apple Watch Series 7 launching in the fall.

It is reasoned by Gurman that the premium model was only made in small numbers, on the expectation they wouldn't sell well. Manufacturing probably ended in the spring, with the unavailability being due to the supply of the model finally starting to run out, he offers.

As for the Apple Watch Series 7, Gurman believes it's plausible Apple could ditch the Edition material entirely. "What's the point of spending $800 or more on a watch that will be outdated in one year and nonfunctional in under five?" Gurman proposes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Many luxury watches cost 4, 5 or 6 figures. An Apple Edition luxury watch costs only 3 figures ($800). I don't think spending $800 every few years will bother anyone who buys luxury watches.
    Beatsjahblade
  • Reply 2 of 12
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Also I suspect Apple is just “rotating” back to Ceramic for the next models due out this Fall.
    bageljoey
  • Reply 3 of 12
    The wide unavailability of the Apple Watch Series 6 in titanium points to Apple significantly limiting its production run, with one report proposing Apple could ditch the titanium "Edition" model entirely.

The Apple Watch Edition version of the Apple Watch Series 6 houses the wearable device in a titanium or Space Black titanium case. However, according to a report, the availability of the model is quite limited.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, the titanium model is listed as unavailable for pickup from Apple Stores in the United States, as well as other major markets. AppleInsider confirmed the situation with its own checks.

Apple has yet to officially discontinue the model, but it seems plausible given rumors of a new Apple Watch Series 7 launching in the fall.

It is reasoned by Gurman that the premium model was only made in small numbers, on the expectation they wouldn't sell well. Manufacturing probably ended in the spring, with the unavailability being due to the supply of the model finally starting to run out, he offers.

As for the Apple Watch Series 7, Gurman believes it's plausible Apple could ditch the Edition material entirely. "What's the point of spending $800 or more on a watch that will be outdated in one year and nonfunctional in under five?" Gurman proposes.

Read on AppleInsider
    Yeah, I find it interesting that I can’t even get an iPad Air repaired because it’s 6 and a half years old. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I assumed this meant a new one is around the corner.

”what’s the point of spending $800”

RICH PEOPLE DON’T CARE!!!

I’m sick of this poor man’s logic from the critics. The Watch doesn’t stop working when the new one is announced and Apple doesn’t remotely disable it when the new Series goes on sale. Even the original Edition still functions and is more capable than every Rolex in history and every non-Apple smart watch. It’s probably worth more today than when it released!
    wookie01ArchStanton
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dicebier1 said:

Read on AppleInsider
    Yeah, I find it interesting that I can’t even get an iPad Air repaired because it’s 6 and a half years old. 
    You would be the only one who finds that interesting. 
    Btw, you can get it repaired. But that fact is not going stop these type posts.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 6 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    I assumed this meant a new one is around the corner.

”what’s the point of spending $800”

RICH PEOPLE DON’T CARE!!!

I’m sick of this poor man’s logic from the critics. The Watch doesn’t stop working when the new one is announced and Apple doesn’t remotely disable it when the new Series goes on sale. Even the original Edition still functions and is more capable than every Rolex in history and every non-Apple smart watch. It’s probably worth more today than when it released!
    I completely agree. I finally talked myself into getting the titanium model this fall, for several reasons that I won’t bore you with…and I’m neither rich nor poor. But since I plan on using it for 2 years before upgrading again, I found the extra $$ justifiable. The Apple Care price for them, on the other hand, is a bit ridiculous, but whatever. 

Anyway, I hope your right and this is just them clearing inventory for a refresh next month, as the Ti really checks all the boxes for me. 
    AMcKinlay21
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Many luxury watches cost 4, 5 or 6 figures. An Apple Edition luxury watch costs only 3 figures ($800). I don't think spending $800 every few years will bother anyone who buys luxury watches.
    A Rolex watch will hold it’s value a lot longer than an Apple Watch.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nadrielnadriel Posts: 92member
     "What's the point of spending $800 or more on a watch that will be outdated in one year and nonfunctional in under five?" Gurman proposes. 

I was going for the next Apple Watch but I’ll keep my series 1 for a couple more years just to piss off Gurman before upgrading..

edit: just need to move next door to him so I can show him a scraped up watch. Best. Plan. Ever.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Beats said:
    Even the original Edition still functions and is more capable than every Rolex in history and every non-Apple smart watch. It’s probably worth more today than when it released!
    Gotta love these useless analogies apropos of nothing. Maybe there's an Edition version that's had some increase in value. Maybe. There are always individuals who will pay above market price to an item because it's significant to them. That's not the same as an overall increase in value that affects any and every potential buyer seeking that item.

I've got two Rolexes have increased in value over the years to a much greater degree than any Edition, even the Gold version. My Red Sub is stainless, not gold. Functionality is not the issue. I confess I do have more Apple Watches than Rolexes, and none of the Watches are Editions except a Stainless.

As functional as Watches are, for me then lack the aesthetic of a finely crafted analog. There are people who compromise between Watches and Rolexes or other high end watches by buying Timexes or Invictas. Doesn't bother me. Their choice is right for them.

The Ti Watches becoming scarce could mean a few things. Apple's Editions have always had a limited lifespan, just like most of their Watch bands. So it just may be the EOL for the Ti. That does add some cachèt to the version, and maybe even some resale value. Maybe.

Come Fall, it's typically new Watch time so possibly a new Edition case or maybe the return of a prior one, anyway. So what this AI article means to me is that anyone wanting a Ti at MSRP and not at a scalper's price should get a move on.

What I would like to see, not as an Edition but as a new line, is a round Watch. I understand why Apple chose a rectangular Watch – for both function and form. But their Infograph Watch face has shown that while a round watch can't show absolutely as much information, it can show a lot, and I think there would be a market for people who are a little more style conscious than matching watch bands to clothes. Introduce it as an Edition, then later introduce a lower price daily driver/EDC Watch. 

And for FFS, give us some nice Watch faces. I'd like to see one something simple, clean, and elegant. Something like

LOL! Talk about complications! But a round Watch will probably never happen. I send requests to Apple Feedback but they've had no traction.

• Reply 10 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    And so what?  $800 is chump-change for those that purchase high-end watches.  It wouldn't be a stretch to say that those people probably will buy it, and treat that $800 watch as a disposable timepiece.

I don't get the need for some people to apply poor-man's logic to the spending habits of the rich.  If they want to blow $800 on a high-priced dinner, hotel too, or even a high-end Apple Watch, go right ahead.  It's their money.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sflocal said:
    And so what?  $800 is chump-change for those that purchase high-end watches.  It wouldn't be a stretch to say that those people probably will buy it, and treat that $800 watch as a disposable timepiece.

I don't get the need for some people to apply poor-man's logic to the spending habits of the rich.  If they want to blow $800 on a high-priced dinner, hotel too, or even a high-end Apple Watch, go right ahead.  It's their money.
    They’re perfectly ok with the pricey dinner and hotel. The pricey watch item is Apple. That makes them Angry and will apply ‘poor man’s logic’ or anything else to vent their anger (but logic will have little to do with it). 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sflocal said:

Even the rich want value for their money. $800 for battery life that isn’t where it should be isn’t great hence why Apple is axing this option.