Female Apple employee put on administrative leave following tweets about sexism in the wor...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    I hope for her sake, she's got better evidence of sexism and harassment than a supervisor giving her constructive criticism on giving presentations.  It's annoying as hell to listen to someone end every sentence with their voice going up and sounding like a series of questions.  That's a valid critique.  You can do that every once in a while but not constantly.  And it has nothing to do with being a woman.  It's public speaking 101.
    Agree, just read through her Twitter. This woman is a psychopath and frankly is a danger to other Apple Employees! Would any of you feel safe working alongside a person like this? Be honest!

Apple needs to bring the hammer and make an example of people like this,men or women 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 52
    bulk001 said:
    She sounds like trouble. I had a coworker who was always looking for trouble. She would flirt trying to look for a reaction so she can claim that someone was hitting on her and contact HR. 
    From armchair layers and now shrinks this site attracts a bunch of weirdos. Given we don’t know all the facts about the case maybe we should get back to speculating on what the next Apple Watch will look like. It is for her, Apple and at some point probably, the courts. 
    Ambulance chasing pyychopath, look through her Twitter you will know 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    blastdoor said:
    bulk001 said:
    Given we don’t know all the facts about the case maybe we should get back to speculating on what the next Apple Watch will look like. It is for her, Apple and at some point probably, the courts. 
    I completely agree. 

We know very little about this person or her situation, so all the comments are just projections of people's own particular biases/issues.  

Some considerations for people who are SO CONFIDENT that they know the truth of this situation:

1. How common is it for middle managers in corporations to be kiss-up / kick-down careerists? I'd say, pretty common.
    2. How common is it for employees (esp less experienced ones, regardless of gender/race) to be overly sensitive to criticism and unable to navigate the realities of a corporate job? I'd say, pretty common. 
    3. How common is it for women to face sexism? I'd say, pretty common.
    4. How common is it for less experienced employees to misinterpret valid feedback as something inappropriate? I'd say, pretty common. 

Bottom line---- it could be anything. We don't know, and it's really none of our business. 
    Well she’s tweeted an example of supposed harassment, which is probably a violation of her employment terms anyway as it was a private conversation. In it a manager gave her positive feedback on her presentation - she had stopped using as much uptalk as before. That’s it. That’s what we got. 
    Dovalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Doval said:
    Just look at this woman’s Twitter history and judge for yourself. She needs psychiatric help . Apple or the “leadership” is not the problem here. Try to find one thing in her life she doesn’t have an issue with. Case closed.

Also, I looked at the woman linkedn, the fact she has been promoted as much as she has in the last 6 years is what needs investigation quite frankly. 

And she is also studying in law school , which I bet Apple is paying for.

the fact Apple hasn’t fired this type of employee actually speaks volumes how Apple is bending over backwards for her and it’s that type of bending over that has fostered this type of employee.
    None of this decisively makes her a liar.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tylersdad said:
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    You think that a hostile work environment is "such an awesome job"?

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

I have worked with many women. 
    The best didn’t get involved in male / female issues - or any such issues.   Instead they put all that they had into doing the best job that they could serving the company.   As a result, they weren’t harassed.  They were valued and respected. 

Admittedly, I was fortunate to work for some great companies with great management - where people like this were simply not tolerated by staff or by management. 
    What you just said: "I have worked with females. We didn't harass the females if they kept quiet."

You dudes aren't even aware of how fucked up you come off.

And boy, what a collection of corporate bootlickers. Yeah Apple is not a golden god, it's just an employer. There is an exchange of compensation for value creation. They aren't parental units.
    In a secretive rigid environment like Apple it’s easy for bad apples to create a sexist and racist environment because complaints go against the prevailing culture and can be swept under the “hr” rug.
    crowley
  • Reply 46 of 52
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Doval said:
    Just look at this woman’s Twitter history and judge for yourself. She needs psychiatric help . Apple or the “leadership” is not the problem here. Try to find one thing in her life she doesn’t have an issue with. Case closed.

Also, I looked at the woman linkedn, the fact she has been promoted as much as she has in the last 6 years is what needs investigation quite frankly. 

the fact Apple hasn’t fired this type of employee actually speaks volumes how Apple is bending over backwards for her and it’s that type of bending over that has fostered this type of employee.
    This maybe a sign of a pervasive sexist environment at Apple that she rsised because she’s more aware of her rights.   Maybe Apple she take a good hard look at their culture and make some changes before it manifests itself to a “Cuomo” size problem.
  • Reply 47 of 52

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  
    "You're a male, at that."

Nuff said.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 52
    k2kw said:
    Doval said:

This maybe a sign of a pervasive sexist environment at Apple that she rsised because she’s more aware of her rights.   Maybe Apple she take a good hard look at their culture and make some changes before it manifests itself to a “Cuomo” size problem.
    This woman is the problem. Look at her Twitter , she needs a psychiatric evaluation 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 52
    k2kw said:
    tylersdad said:
    I will never understand people who feel the need to bite the hand that feeds. She sounds more like she was pissed about not being able to continue to work remotely, so she trashed her company…which is about as progressive as companies get…for being sexist. 

Unbelievable. She should be grateful she has such an awesome job. There are probably thousands who would gladly take her place. 
    You think that a hostile work environment is "such an awesome job"?

You're not in her place.  You have ZERO insight into this.  You're a male, at that.  Apple or any corp isn't "the hand that feeds".  Getting paid is *compensation* for work done.  It's not a gift. It's not a hand out.  It's a contracted agreement.

If someone's dad who knows sh*t about what's really going on with her situation feels free to be sexist and assuming and thinks he knows what's right for her and have nothing to gain or lose, what do you think the possibilities are for others at the Apple who equally do not know her specific circumstance but may have their job performance judged on how their handling of this affects the company?

Have a bit of empathy.  Or of you can't or won't muster that much, try some sympathy.  Still lacking that and feeling a bit sociopathic here?  Silence works.

I have worked with many women. 
    The best didn’t get involved in male / female issues - or any such issues.   Instead they put all that they had into doing the best job that they could serving the company.   As a result, they weren’t harassed.  They were valued and respected. 

Admittedly, I was fortunate to work for some great companies with great management - where people like this were simply not tolerated by staff or by management. 
    What you just said: "I have worked with females. We didn't harass the females if they kept quiet."

You dudes aren't even aware of how fucked up you come off.

And boy, what a collection of corporate bootlickers. Yeah Apple is not a golden god, it's just an employer. There is an exchange of compensation for value creation. They aren't parental units.
    In a secretive rigid environment like Apple it’s easy for bad apples to create a sexist and racist environment because complaints go against the prevailing culture and can be swept under the “hr” rug.
    Looking at her Linkedn, what needs investigation is why an unqualified white woman got so many promotions in 6 years at Apple while other minorities probably didn’t 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I added that if there was no other option they could give me paid administrative leave.
    … and this is where I started to get suspicious. 
    Why?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’m not going to spend time looking at and challenging the “presume the employee is the problem” posts in this thread. I can see them stacking up already and I’m not even done with page one. I don’t feel like taking the time to web stalk this employee to see if there’s a pattern of behavior. That’s not my place. That’s also not the point: 

People here have a tendency to side with employers here, no matter what, especially in cases involving their precious Apple. There’s a trend of attacking employees who dare to challenge employers. It’s quite authoritarian and callous. Sigh commentators don’t do due diligence on the subject matter, nor care that their lives aren’t the model for all other human beings. I’ve no patience for more of that nonsense.

That said, the speech pattern of turning every sentence into a question is definitely:

1. Something to correct in presenters
    2. Very irritating to me

This speech pattern conveys uncertainty, which is a problem in a presenter. I don’t care who it is that does it, it’s not a good habit for anyone, let alone a presenter of information.

We aren’t talking about disabilities here. If someone has a speech pathology, I wouldn’t get on their case about it. When it’s a habit, though, it should be addressed as a skill issue. On top of the uncertainty issue, once noticed, it can start to stand out and become grating to listeners. I’ve even quit presentations over this (YouTubers).

Another bad presenter trait that drives me to quit presentations is the use of “go ahead and”. It’s passive-voice, corporate culture filler nonsense noise. Many tech bros do this in every other goddamned sentence. It’s espec painful in tutorial videos.

Can’t. Effing. Stand. It. STOP DOING IT.

I have quit so many YouTube videos because of this office culture speech malady.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    This employee is a problem.  If that Messages screen shot is her worst example of communication with her boss, she's a snowflake that needs to grow thicker skin.  The boss is indeed giving helpful, candid feedback about how she can improve her delivery and speaking style.  And I'm sorry, for her to claim that she's an educated adult and doesn't need this feedback - many executives and C-Suite members hire speaking coaches all the time.  Apple isn't perfect - but they don't need this liability of an employee.