FCC mobile broadband map shows LTE coverage areas across the U.S.

Posted:
in General Discussion
The FCC has made it easier for carrier customers to check how much coverage their mobile phone company provides, by releasing its first map of 4G LTE coverage across the United States.

The map, published by the Federal Communications Commission on Friday, offers a quick reference to regional availability for coverage from major carriers, with regards to 4G LTE signal. In its initial release, it is offering signal information for AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and Verizon across the country.

The map shows coverage for broadband data and voice calls from May 15, 2021. The data was voluntarily submitted to the FCC by the four carriers, and advises of where you can pick up signal of each carrier in a particular place.

The coverage areas can be overlaid, with colors mixing to show where two or more carriers can function in the same place. Independent layers are provided per carrier and for data or voice calls, though expected connection speeds are not advised.

As voluntarily provided data, it is unclear how accurate the information actually is, as it is unknown if it has been independently vetted or collected by a third party. It is also unknown how often the map will be updated, but the FCC has said it is open to introducing data from other carriers to add to the list.

The accuracy of the data could potentially be improved using data from consumers and businesses, with an FCC Task Force looking into proposals to add real-world experiences.

"Today's new map represents progress in our efforts to implement the Broadband DATA Act and build next-generation broadband maps that can help to connect 100 percent of Americans," said acting FCC chair Jessica Rosenworcel. "Using improved systems and data, we can provide better information about where broadband service is and is not across the country."

Cellular speeds aren't the only area of interest for the FCC regarding connectivity. In April, it launched an official speed test app to help collect data on home broadband speeds.

In May, anonymized data collected by Microsoft's cloud services was used to create a map of the U.S., showing where broadband problem areas continue to exist.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,257member
    "In its initial release, it is offering signal information for AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and Verizon across the country." What use is this? It's like someone saying they ran a 4 min mile without any proof. It's possible, some people can do it, but not that many. The FCC should pull this garbage and do their own coverage testing with no input from the vendors. All this is is an FCC-sponsored advertisement for the four vendors.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's the very, very least they could do. Now, using that map, tell me how much bandwidth you should expect get at any given point in the USA from any of the listed carriers?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It's the very, very least they could do. Now, using that map, tell me how much bandwidth you should expect get at any given point in the USA from any of the listed carriers?
    Maximum of course, everywhere they say it works! 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,792member
    Interesting. Now I'd like to see where they have 5G, and then 5G mmWave. That would I suspect be a LOT smaller area. 
    dewme
  • Reply 5 of 9
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 246member
    Maybe next we can get a map showing where there is dial-up internet service.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    I just checked and there are many areas in Cape Cod where I can’t get coverage with AT&T even though the map shows it as available. In fact, a couple of years ago there was a shark attack and the follow up incident report indicated a lack of cell service hampered first responders.   With all this talk about enhanced 5G service, I’d just like to have any G service on all parts of the Cape. 
    edited August 2021 dewme
  • Reply 7 of 9
    j2fusion said:
    I just checked and there are many areas in Cape Cod where I can’t get coverage with AT&T even though the map shows it as available. In fact, a couple of years ago there was a shark attack and the follow up incident report indicated a lack of cell service hampered first responders.   With all this talk about enhanced 5G service, I’d just like to have any G service on all parts of the Cape. 
    T-Mobile’s coverage area always shows solid red over almost the entire US in their TV ads while showing others as less. I imagine neither is accurate. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    It should not be to difficult to make such a map far more accurate using existing phone information the same way it is used to give real time information where road congestions are, like on a TomTom.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,590member
    Does the map show only outdoor coverage, or does it include coverage for difficult indoor areas and tunnels (eg, car tunnels, subway tunnels, indoor stadiums with this walls, etc.)?