Samsung chief paroled months into bribery, embezzlement sentence

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung vice-chairman and heir Lee Jae-yong is set to exit prison on Friday by being released on parole to mark South Korea's Liberation Day.

Lee was sentenced to two and a half years in prison in January, for his role in a national bribery scandal. Just seven months later, Lee will be out of prison, on parole.

On Monday, South Korea's Justice Ministry advised Lee would be released alongside 810 other prisoners on Friday, reports CNN. The group was granted parole to mark the country's Liberation Day, marking the end of Japanese imperial rule over Korea in 1945.

The parole of prisoners happens regularly on the day, with more than 600 released in 2020. According to Minister Park Beom-kye, the higher number of parolees is "in consideration of the overcrowded condition of correctional facilities which are vulnerable to infections diseases, ad to help overcome our economic condition."

While out on parole, Lee may not necessarily return to leading Samsung, due to a five-year employment ban under the country's law. He is also not allowed to go overseas for business trips while serving his parole term, though he can apply to the Justice Ministry for an exception.

January's sentence was the product of a retrial of a bribery case involving former South Korean President Park Geun-hye, in which Lee was found guilty of bribery, embezzlement, and concealment of criminal proceeds valued at 8.6 billion won ($7.8 million).

The original 2017 trial had Lee accused of paying bribes of up to 43 billion won ($37 million) to non-profit organizations linked to Park Geun-hye confidante Choi Soon-sil. In exchange, Park was said to have agreed to the merger of two Samsung affiliates in 2015, which helped Lee's standings within the family-owned conglomerate, known as a chaebol.

Though soon to be out of prison, Lee's legal woes won't be over, as a separate trial is being conducted about that very 2015 merger.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Samsung is full of executives who lie, cheat and steal. Yet Americans praise Samsung because they have commercials that say “Your American company SUCKS!!”
    lkruppmagman1979viclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'd like to see a photo of the 'prison cell' he was in for the short stay he had. I could be wrong but I suspect it wasn't gen-pop for him. I learned that term watching TV BTW ;)
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Unbelievable.

Does this prison have a Samsung Penthouse Wing?
    magman1979ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Fire Tim Cook! Samsung FTW!
    BeatsFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    It's actually quite shameful how Samsung execs can literally get away with such blatant corruption.  It says more about the Korean justice system than anything else.  They are literally sending a message that a different set of rules apply to those with money.  

I'm currently looking to buy a new TV and as I walk through the stores, the moment I see a "Samsung" logo, I ignore it and look at others.  I don't care that it may be hundreds of dollars cheaper than say a Sony.  The less of my money the company gets the better.
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    sflocal said:
    It's actually quite shameful how Samsung execs can literally get away with such blatant corruption.  It says more about the Korean justice system than anything else.  They are literally sending a message that a different set of rules apply to those with money.  

I'm currently looking to buy a new TV and as I walk through the stores, the moment I see a "Samsung" logo, I ignore it and look at others.  I don't care that it may be hundreds of dollars cheaper than say a Sony.  The less of my money the company gets the better.
    You've also described the US justice system when people with money (continually) break laws.

As for a Samdung TV (actually anything from them), I got rid of my last one years ago, going with Sony (hope they follow the laws better than Samsung). The problem is Apple uses them as a supplier and many other companies I buy products from also use them. It's like going to a store and trying to find something that isn't made in China. I still go to these stores, including Apple Stores. I select my stores depending on how their management acts instead of where the products come from. It's getting difficult to find companies, foreign and domestic, who aren't run by criminals. 
    darkvaderdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    "While out on parole, Lee may not necessarily return to leading Samsung, due to a five-year employment ban under the country's law."

Seems like a repeat offender should receive a permanent ban. He clearly can't get his act together.
    scstrrfdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sflocal said:

The  Lee family who run Samsung has its tentacles deep in the South Korean establishment, much like the Kim family who run North Korea.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Beats said:
    Samsung is full of executives who lie, cheat and steal. Yet Americans praise Samsung because they have commercials that say “Your American company SUCKS!!”
    What the hell are you talking about?
    TheGadgetGuy
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    sflocal said:

How is their system different from ours? Frankly, this news could be straight out of the USA, if you change a few names. There has always been leniency for the wealthy & powerful in the USA’s justice system. In most cases, there aren’t even criminal prosecutions for systemic damage to our country by corporations. Corporations get away with things no individuals would, and the individuals running them rarely face any personal consequences.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dysamoria said:
    Beats said:
    What the hell are you talking about?

The part about the Lees always going to jail for lying, cheating and stealing or the part about how Americans are easily manipulated?