Apple drops lawsuit against virtualization firm Corellium

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
Apple on Tuesday settled a copyright infringement lawsuit leveled against Corellium, an iOS-focused software virtualization firm that markets its wares to security researchers.

Corellium

Apple filed its lawsuit against Corellium in 2019, claiming the company's products infringe on copyrights covering iOS, iTunes and other technologies. Corellium sells virtualized versions of Apple's iPhone and other products to developers and security researchers, who use the tool to surface bugs, flaws and other vulnerabilities.

The case was scheduled to go to trial in Florida on Aug. 16, but the parties agreed to settle the action today, according to court filings reported by The Washington Post. Terms of the agreement are confidential.

As noted in the report, Apple's legal play was viewed skeptically by the security research community, which voiced concern that a ruling in Apple's favor could have dissuaded future independent research efforts.

Corellium's tools allow users to create virtual devices in the cloud. Support spans from iPads to current iPhone models, each of which runs iOS builds directly from Apple's servers. The result is a "fully functioning" device replicated in software.

While Corellium itself claimed its tools run "real iOS," Apple did not license its proprietary software to the firm. Corellium, Apple argued, broke security measures to create "unauthorized copies" of iOS and thereby ran afoul of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

"[ ... ] Corellium has simply copied everything: the code, the graphical user interface, the icons-- all of it, in exacting detail," Apple's original filing reads.

In December, U.S. District Court Judge Rodney Smith tossed Apple's copyright claims, saying Corellium met its burden of establishing fair use. Judge Smith did not, however, dismiss the DMCA assertions that were subsequently slated to be heard in court next week.

Apple upped the ante over the ensuing months and at one point issuing subpoenas for records of contractors who used the software.

Court filings reveal Apple attempted to acquire Corellium in 2018 and filed suit against the firm as negotiations stalled.

The iPhone maker later created the Security Research Device program, an alternative to products like Corellium that provides security researchers with specialized iPhones to ferret out bugs and vulnerabilities.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Corellium COO Matt Tait defended Apple's recently announced child sexual abuse material tools, arguing that potential expansion of the system through database modification -- a major concern for privacy advocates -- is an unlikely risk.

Apple's Child Safety initiative is a multi-pronged effort that uses on-device processing to detect and report CSAM images uploaded to iCloud Photos, as well as protect children from sensitive images sent through Messages. The feature will roll out in iOS 15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    I’m confuse, who won lol

StrangeDaysbulk001darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Have you tried reading the article?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Seriously, the article doesn’t really say what sort of settlement was reached. It’s pretty vague on that point. Seriously. 
    StrangeDayskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    The terms of the settlement are being kept confidential and are not being released to the public.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Seriously, the article doesn’t really say what sort of settlement was reached. It’s pretty vague on that point. Seriously. 
    True, so wait for the announcement that Apple has bought the company. 
    lkruppkillroy
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Fair point.  Corellium hasn't announced that they are ceasing operations so they didn't "lose" per se.  One of three things happened:

- Apple didn't have a case and wanted to give up quietly;
    - The judge only found that Corellium violated portions not significant enough to hinder normal business;
    - Apple is going to buy the company and offer some new bundle with Xcode CI in the cloud, and a cloud-based device simulator.  They'll sell it as "Developer+" for $9.99 a month on top of your regular Developer subscription.

I know, I know.  Don't give them any ideas.  But any dunce can see that the entire business world is hot on subscription services for maximum cash extraction.
    bulk001darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Lawyers aren't the biggest winners when a case is settled.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

I read the article. Now, in your opinion who won? 

No reason to badmouth someone who’s asking a simple question to a complex legal issue. 
    StrangeDayskillroymuthuk_vanalingambulk001watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Fair point.  Corellium hasn't announced that they are ceasing operations so they didn't "lose" per se.  One of three things happened:

- Apple didn't have a case and wanted to give up quietly;
    - The judge only found that Corellium violated portions not significant enough to hinder normal business;
    - Apple is going to buy the company and offer some new bundle with Xcode CI in the cloud, and a cloud-based device simulator.  They'll sell it as "Developer+" for $9.99 a month on top of your regular Developer subscription.

I know, I know.  Don't give them any ideas.  But any dunce can see that the entire business world is hot on subscription services for maximum cash extraction.
    Apple definitely has/had a case. 

Corellium violated all sorts of things especially stealing iOS and not running it on approved Apple hardware. 

My bet is on last one. Makes most sense and “cents.”
    edited August 2021 killroy
  • Reply 10 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Can you quote the part you believe answers that question?
    killroymuthuk_vanalingamdarkvader
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I would say Apple lost because not having a court ruling against the legality of virtualization opens the doors for other companies to do the same.
    bulk001
  • Reply 12 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Can you quote the part you believe answers that question?
    I think it's obvious to anyone who read flydog's post that he was being obnoxious and presumptuous.
    bulk001
  • Reply 13 of 15
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    flydog said:
    KTR said:
    I’m confuse, who won lol

Did you? Agreed that it is not very clear what the settlement is. Looks like you can still sign up for a free trial so as of yet Apple has not shut them down. The new bill they are trying to pass may have something to do with it too and Apple doesn’t want to be seen as limiting competition. 
    edited August 2021 darkvader
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    this lawsuit never made much sense to me anyway. Corellium created a product that would help developers, ultimately helping Apple. Why would or should Apple go after them?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MplsP said:
    this lawsuit never made much sense to me anyway. Corellium created a product that would help developers, ultimately helping Apple. Why would or should Apple go after them?
    The cynic in me says that the lawsuit stemmed from Apple playing hardball.  The acquisition talks had reportedly stalled.  So there was only one other thing to do:
    "Hey Corellium.  That's a pretty little company you got there.  Be a shame if it got sued into oblivion and the remnants got picked up for a song.  Just sayin'."