Samsung's new Galaxy Watch 4 models are not iOS compatible

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
Samsung is looking to create some space -- and perhaps an air of platform exclusivity -- between its products and those marketed by Apple, with the Korean tech giant ditching iOS compatibility on a pair of recently announced Galaxy Watch models.

Galaxy Watch 4

Announced on Wednesday, the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic both run Wear OS, Google's revamped wearables operating system that was developed in cooperation with Samsung.

As noted by ArsTechnica, the latest Wear OS devices, or at least Galaxy Watch 4 models, are not compatible with iOS, meaning potential buyers are unable to pair the device with a host iPhone. Samsung informed the outlet that older Galaxy Watches would retain compatibility.

Apple's iOS is not the only operating system to miss out on Galaxy Watch 4, with Samsung stipulating that the wearable can only be used with handsets running Android 6.0 or above.

One of the first Samsung watches to boast iOS compatibility was 2016's Gear 2 smartwatch. That device, and subsequent successor models, run Samsung's Tizen operating system.

Whether iOS will be unavailable to all Wear OS devices, including potential future Samsung models, remains unclear. In any case, the selection of iOS-compatible smartwatches outside of Apple's own Apple Watch grows increasingly thin.

Along with Galaxy Watch 4, Samsung at Wednesday's event launched a pair of foldable handsets in the Galaxy Z Fold3 5G and Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. Both smartphones are positioned to nibble at Apple's marketshare ahead of an expected "iPhone 13" revamp this fall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Super desirable watch and the $250 price is reasonable too. If this were an iWatch we would all be falling all over ourselves to hit the buy now button. The health features are way better than an Apple Watch too.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Super desirable watch and the $250 price is reasonable too. If this were an iWatch we would all be falling all over ourselves to hit the buy now button. The health features are way better than an Apple Watch too.
    I’m not surprise it’s not compatible with IOS 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Really? Using cutting edge OEM solutions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I will give Samsung credit for turning out ever increasing amounts of confusingly named and badly differentiated products. From toilets to toothbrushes their isn’t a product category they aren’t in. Focus may not be their strong suit but like spreading just a little butter over 38 loaves of bread - you get something in every bite, even if it’s not worth it. How much support do they get from the Korean Govt? Is it ‘anti-American’ to buy from them? 
    Alex_VArchStantonp-dogroundaboutnowwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    When I want incisive, relevant commentary on Apple Watch, I always turn to someone who still hasn't figured out what the product is even called, after SIX YEARS. "iWatch"?
    ArchStantonapplguyJWSCpichaeltwokatmewp-dogauxioroundaboutnowboltsfan17watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18

well that's too bad for Samsung. Why can't they have the automaton buyers Apple has ("if iwatch 'we' would all be falling over"). "We" will just scoop up any old thing while
     Samsung is out there doing the lord's  work putting out the best of the best. There's just no justice. (thick sarcasm intended). 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Samsung likely didn't put out an iOS version because Apple owns it with iPhone users. Companies, Apple Samsung Google Whoever, are in business to make a profit. You don't spend big money on a product version you know you can't get sufficient sales on.
    Someone who has an iPhone not getting the Apple Watch (except for specific highly involved training, outdoors and the like) is whistling past the graveyard. I helped my friend with her Samsung watch (she has a Galaxy). Very nice display, not putting down the device, but side by side operation to an Apple Watch? With what you can do as an iPhone user almost right out of the box with an Apple Watch? It was just no comparison. The single roof engineering providing the interoperating eco really comes through on the Apple Watch. 
    With that said, I know Google partnered with Samsung on this one. Maybe that allowed them to step it up. But what so many (most of them non iPhone users) never seem to get is that it isn't just a standalone device. Apple sells the interoperation of the parts. And from that stand point it is almost impossible for disparate companies to recreate the kind of interoperation. 
    bloggerblogtwokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, it does make sense. If they continue rely on the iPhone then they can only be as good as the iPhone framework allows them to be.

If they go their own way then they're free to follow their own path and make the whole Watch/Phone ecosystem what they want it to be.

The only problem is, I'm not sure if Samsung knows what path they want to follow unless they have Apple to show them the way. 

However, the folding phones thing is evidence of divergence, whether it's a good idea or not, so let's see what they do.
    Oferwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It probably was a real niche market segment anyway. It's very difficult to imagine someone buying an iPhone and then opting for a Samsung Watch. Samsung may do well to concentrate their efforts, even though all the R&D is coming from Apple. 
    igorskywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I want the Galaxy Watch 4 to be great and affordable. It seems to be those things. But their website doesn't even talk about the features that are important to me, like privacy. Does my health data ever leave my watch? Where is my health data stored? In Korea? North or South Korea?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I want the Galaxy Watch 4 to be great and affordable. It seems to be those things. But their website doesn't even talk about the features that are important to me, like privacy. Does my health data ever leave my watch? Where is my health data stored? In Korea? North or South Korea?
    https://www.samsung.com/uk/info/privacy/

They keep their privacy stuff in one place by the looks of it. Concerning your specific question:

Your use of our Services will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information within and outside of your country of residence, consistent with this policy. In particular, your personal information will be transferred to the Republic of Korea. Please note that the data protection and other laws of countries to which your information may be transferred might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.

[For European Economic Area (EEA) Residents Only]
    In addition, your use of the Services may also involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information to other countries; such countries include, without limitation, countries in the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, China, Singapore, Vietnam, India, Canada, the Philippines, and Japan. We will take appropriate measures, in compliance with applicable law, to ensure that your personal information remains protected. Such measures include the use of Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard the transfer of data outside of the EEA. To request more information or to obtain a copy of the contractual agreements in place, contact us. See the CONTACT US section.

(I added the highlight)

Which, if I'm reading this correctly, means they can send it pretty much anywhere. Now, this is unusual, because most services keep your data on servers in the country where you signed up. For the EEA, they say they will take appropriate measures to ensure your data remains protected while when it's transferred outside the EEA. That sounds very woolly to me.

edited August 2021 Oferroundaboutnowwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 18
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    You need to stop drinking before posting.  "Super desirable watch"...that's hilarious.
    roundaboutnowArchStantonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 18
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    Rayz2016 said:

The only problem is, I'm not sure if Samsung knows what path they want to follow unless they have Apple to show them the way. 

This is exactly right, and the only reason why they even make the phones that they do today. Let's face it...even the foldables exist because the Apple patent applications revealed that they were looking into them. You can even trace their cascading screens to post-Apple patent application.  Samsung Mobile is just a slimey, mismanaged clown show.
    edited August 2021 p-dogOferArchStantonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 18
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    You lost all credibility when you said “iWatch”.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 18
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    These Samsung watches, which have a tiny share of the wearables market, are limiting themselves even more by shutting themselves off from the dominant smart phone platform in many wealthy markets. Coincidentally, the Apple Watch, the #1 selling watch in the world, is becoming, albeit slowly, ever more independent of the iPhone. Which one is the winning strategy? Hmmm…
    Oferwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 18
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I have to say that the most surprising thing I learned from reading this is that older Samsung watches were iOS compatible.  I never would have thought to even look at such a product as an iPhone user.  Especially from Samsung. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    p-dog said:
    These Samsung watches, which have a tiny share of the wearables market, are limiting themselves even more by shutting themselves off from the dominant smart phone platform in many wealthy markets. Coincidentally, the Apple Watch, the #1 selling watch in the world, is becoming, albeit slowly, ever more independent of the iPhone. Which one is the winning strategy? Hmmm…
    Companies can't just throw money down a hole. Samsung has a VP of the Watch department. Samsung requires this person to have a plan with metrics and projections that show a viable profitability. Mr VP says "well we sold 25,000 watches to iPhone users. Mr VP's boss says 'and you are spending millions for iPhone development? You're fired'. 

Apple Watch may be more usable elsewhere but the top of the mountain is having an iPhone with the AWatch. Other than specific triathletes and similar prolonged training sessions, I think someone is just not thinking it through if they have an iPhone -- then buy a smart watch that isn't Apple. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Your health data is stored on Kim Jong-un's personal server in Pyongyang.
    watto_cobra