Satechi introduces the USB-C Clamp Hub for 24-inch iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2021
The USB-C Clamp Hub by Satechi is a six-port hub that allows access to USB-A ports from the front of your 24-inch iMac.

The Satechi USB-C Clamp Hub fastens to the bottom of your iMac
The Satechi USB-C Clamp Hub fastens to the bottom of your iMac

The latest hub from Satechi is designed exclusively for the 24-inch iMac. It adds six easy-access ports to the front of the iMac with a simple silver-aluminum finish.

The USB-C Clamp Hub fastens to the bottom of the iMac using an adjustable knob. A short integrated USB-C cable connects the hub via one of the available ports.

Once attached, the hub places five ports within easy reach of the user. The ports include three USB-A ports, a USB-C port, and micro/SD card reader slots.

All USB ports offer up to 5Gbps data transfer speeds but don't support video pass-through or charging. The USB-A ports also cannot be used with external drives like the Super Drive.

The USB-C Clamp Hub has a silver-aluminum finish, but Satechi says its design should maintain the aesthetic of any 24-inch iMac. Since older iMacs are thicker with a curved chassis, the clamp will only work with the latest model.

Order the USB-C Clamp Hub for $54.99 from Satechi and it will ship in mid-September. The discount code IMAC15 gives 15% off of the retail price.

Read on AppleInsider
wwinter86

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Does it come in matching colour options or is that too much to ask? :/ 
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    wwinter86 said:
    Does it come in matching colour options or is that too much to ask? :/ 
    Possibly and literally too much… $.

Only in Silver.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Great design. Almost looks like an Apple product. 
    baconstangnarwhal
  • Reply 4 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    How does this impact the machine's cooling vents?

Edit: And speakers!
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    I have a Satechi Hub mounted to my 2019 21.5 iMac and love it. But... the curious restrictions on these USB ports (No charging and no External drives) is disappointing. I use mine to charge the Mouse and the Keyboard. Bummer.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Another product to do what Apple should have done but neglected to do. I’ll Never understand why Apple can’t have an accessible port on the imac. The ports in the back are fine for things like an external drive that you leave connected, but the majority of USB devices tend to get disconnected on a regular basis and For some reason Apple forces people to fumble around at the back of the computer  
    williamlondonnarwhalbaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    It's products like these that are the reason why USB(x) is in such a mess.  I'm no fan of Satechi - we've had numerous problems with their products here at our office - but why make a USB hub that includes less functionality than the USB port it's plugged into?  No charging or external drives?  Time to look elsewhere.

At the minimum it should be a USB4-compliant product.  It's inexcusable nowadays especially since the new iMacs comes with USB4.  I don't care about the bottom-of-barrel iMac.  I'm only concerned with the ones people should be buying.

These companies like Satechi need to get with the program.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    Yeah, this is not a well designed product: no power support? Really?! I have the iMac 27” version and I use the hell out of mine, and it blends so well into the larger iMac’s design…this one, not so much.

I agree, I thought with Joni Ive gone, we’d start to see “usable” products again. The chassis is thick enough for two side USB-C/A ports, or even a set of SD/micro slots. And how awesome would it have been to resurrect the front screen held on with magnets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Apple design strategy is never to be versatile. Rather it is to be as simple as possible. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    MplsP said:
    Another product to do what Apple should have done but neglected to do. I’ll Never understand why Apple can’t have an accessible port on the imac. The ports in the back are fine for things like an external drive that you leave connected, but the majority of USB devices tend to get disconnected on a regular basis and For some reason Apple forces people to fumble around at the back of the computer  
    Mosts users will never need a port on the front. They made the correct choice for their goals.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    Mosts users will never need a port on the front. They made the correct choice for their goals.
    The Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard that the iMac ship with both require occasional charging.  That's more convenient with a front-side accessible port.

Apple's goals should include user convenience and accessibility.