Spain integrates Apple Wallet support for EU Digital COVID Certificate

Posted:
in iOS
Spain this week rolled out Apple Wallet support for the European Union's digital COVID certificate, allowing citizens to store the so-called COVID-19 vaccine "passport" on Apple devices.

The EU Digital COVID Certificate went live in July to deliver proof of vaccination to people living in member nations and a handful of neighboring countries. Available as a paper or digital document issued by health authorities, the certificates serve as proof that a holder has either been vaccinated against, received a negative test result for or recovered from COVID-19. A QR code is included with each certificate to ensure authenticity.

Certificates allow for free movement within countries that recognize the document, and its existence helps to facilitate the lifting of restrictions when appropriate, the EU says.

While the digital version can be stored on any smartphone, individual countries can elect to implement support for digital wallets like Apple Wallet. Alternatively, users can turn to third-party solutions like Your Pass to generate a Wallet pass from an existing EU Digital COVID Certificate.

Spain's implementation has been updated with an option to download a pass directly to Apple Wallet.

9to5Mac spotted the update on Thursday.

News of Spain's support for Apple Wallet comes on the heels of similar capabilities rolled out in the UK. Last month, the UK's NHS app for iOS added the ability to export an NHS COVID Pass to Wallet.

Other countries, like Australia are also adopting Wallet support for their respective vaccine certificate initiatives. In Apple's domestic market, however, efforts have been somewhat spotty.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Speeding up the incoming visitor processing would be a great convenience.  

I suppose the next step would be a NFC readable certificate to avoid the delay in fumbling with a QR scanner. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    We all better urgently understand what opening the door for biometrics in this "pass" "initiative" means.

If you dont see it thats fine, no need for trolling, but if you do this is an important aspect to realize while it is optional.
    JanNL
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have just tried to scan my Spanish EU certificate into my Wallet and it only accepts credit cards and will not accept my certificate so don’t think that is actually going to work 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I have just tried to scan my Spanish EU certificate into my Wallet and it only accepts credit cards and will not accept my certificate so don’t think that is actually going to work 
    You do NOT scan it in.

You have to download it from government website.

Before you do that you have to apply to receive it in format for wallet.

It took me about 10 minutes to figure it out, but I do have it in my wallet now.

the website you need is

https://cvd.sanidad.gob.es/cvdcovid/cvdcovid-formulario/index.xhtml
    edited August 2021 fotoformatseanjJWSCspheric
  • Reply 5 of 7
    oh it will work. it will work so well that we might in the very near future not even be able to not use it! maybe a question of trying it out next week, same thing happened when cards were first introduced in Europe right in the beginning.
    JanNL
  • Reply 6 of 7
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    oh it will work. it will work so well that we might in the very near future not even be able to not use it! maybe a question of trying it out next week, same thing happened when cards were first introduced in Europe right in the beginning.
    What is it with all the paranoia? 
    For decades we’ve needed vaccine passports when travelling to certain countries. Now during a global pandemic we temporarily need them domestically until we achieve full vaccination. Big deal.
    edited August 2021 darkvaderjony0
  • Reply 7 of 7
    seanj said:
    What is it with all the paranoia? 
    For decades we’ve needed vaccine passports when travelling to certain countries. Now during a global pandemic we temporarily need them domestically until we achieve full vaccination. Big deal.
    Come back in a year. or two. or three. Remember your comment🙂

Did you Passports were a temporary post-war measure? And so were 9/11 "terrorist" measures? The 15 days to flatten the curve, etc.. It is a method of mass control described in chapter 6 of Mein Kampf.. those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

I sincerely hope you go through every bit of info and source possible to prove me wrong, take care.
    JanNL