Apple-backed Matter smart home standard delayed until 2022

Posted:
in iOS
The Matter smart home connectivity standard, which is backed by Apple, Google, and other tech companies, has been delayed until 2022, according to a press release.

Matter standard delayed until 2022
Matter standard delayed until 2022

Matter is an ambitious project seeking to unify smart home devices under a single protocol and was expected to launch later in 2021. However, it has been delayed until the second half of 2022 due to issues surrounding COVID-19 and implementing the universal standard.

The news about the delay was shared via a press release written by Torben Richardson, President and CEO of the Connectivity Standard Alliance.

"We're incredibly excited about the progress that's been made by the Matter Working Group and for the continued momentum of this unprecedented effort," Richardson says in the release. "Typically, creating a new standard takes many years of work to get to the stage Matter is at today."

"In May of this year, we saw a development path with first devices through certification by the end of the year in 2021," Richardson continues. "With the completion of several test events and forecasting, our members have updated the schedule to reflect a commitment to ensuring that the SDK, and related tools, are ready to meet the expectations of the market when launched and enable a large ecosystem of interoperable Matter products."

The updated timeline includes ongoing SDK and certification program development in the second half of 2021. By the first half of 2022, the SDK is expected to be released to members of the Matter group.

The first products certified for Matter will be revealed sometime in 2022.

Apple, Google, Amazon, and a host of other companies partnered to create a single, interoperable smart home standard. It started as Project Connected Home Over IP, or CHIP, and was later rebranded as Matter.

The new standard would enable cross-platform connectivity of previously incompatible smart home products. For example, Google's Nest line of products has never worked with HomeKit but soon will thanks to Matter.

Apple announced that HomeKit would integrate with Matter in iOS 15, so once the standard launches, HomeKit users will be able to take advantage. The introduction of Matter to HomeKit is also expected to bring a host of new product categories to the smart home platform.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Relevant XKCD:  https://xkcd.com/927/

command_fJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I guess this explains why all the newly announced Google cams don’t support “Matter”

Was really looking forward to this soon. Oh well, there’s always next year. 
    twokatmewArchStantoncommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    itinj24 said:
    I guess this explains why all the newly announced Google cams don’t support “Matter”

Was looking forward to it too.  Basically a lot of home automation becomes available to a much wider group of consumers. 
    I’d assume Google cams can be given an update to provide support? I “thought” I read that Chip would only need SW update to make a number of things work. It wasn’t a hardware issue per se (but I could be wrong)
    command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Difference between this and thread? 🤔
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Delaying a new technology or product to get it right is always the right decision. Far better than rushing out garbage, especially when it comes to home automation. I just hope that Matter has a way to operate on an air gapped server in your home. I don't trust any of the companies listed to have sensors inside my house if they are connected to servers elsewhere. Sadly that now includes Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    itinj24 said:

Was looking forward to it too.  Basically a lot of home automation becomes available to a much wider group of consumers. 
    I’d assume Google cams can be given an update to provide support? I “thought” I read that Chip would only need SW update to make a number of things work. It wasn’t a hardware issue per se (but I could be wrong)
    I believe Hue already announced that their Bridge will be getting “Matter” support via FW update. It is possible that the Nest cams will also be given the same treatment but surprised there was no mention of it since this is supposed to be next big thing in smart home automation. I’ve been using the Nest Hello (and four Nest Protects) with Starling for HomeKit and I must say, out of a combined ~75 accessories including a bunch of Logi Circle 2 cams, they have been the most reliable and they’re not even HomeKit certified. Needless, to say, I like Nest and want native HomeKit integration 
    williamlondonArchStanton
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ionicle said:
    Difference between this and thread? 🤔
    BLUF: Matter is an alliance of manufacturers set to make devices to be used with any smart home platform. 
    Thread is a connection protocol between devices like WiFi and Bluetooth but better. 

“Matter” is an alliance of manufacturers that will be making accessories that will be able to work with any of the participating Smart home platforms. For instance, if you look on the box of an accessory and you see badges printed on the box that say “Works with Google”, “Works with Alexa”, “Works with HomeKit”, “Works with SmartThings”, etc… the Matter alliance will be combining all those badges into one that says, “Works with Matter” and you will know that that accessory can be used with any of the above platforms.  In theory, it’s supposed to make the smart home market less confusing so that people can buy whatever and it will work with whatever. I just hope this doesn’t cause more confusion by adding another platform to the mix while still keeping the others around, separately. 

Thread is a connection protocol between devices. Think of it as WiFi or Bluetooth. But instead of each device connecting to one router or one Bluetooth hub, they will connect to each other to make them faster and more reliable so as not to clog up bandwidth. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Delaying a new technology or product to get it right is always the right decision. Far better than rushing out garbage, especially when it comes to home automation. I just hope that Matter has a way to operate on an air gapped server in your home. I don't trust any of the companies listed to have sensors inside my house if they are connected to servers elsewhere. Sadly that now includes Apple.
    You were going great even up to local server processing. Great idea.  Then you watched a little too much TV or clickbait websites and included Apple with the rest. That’s demonstrably false and quite easily proven. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Not sure exactly where you are going on this, but Matter (which I found more logically named when it was called "connected home over IP" or CHIP) is all about bringing a number of connected home application layer protocols together under IP, i.e., Ethernet IPV6 protocol. This follows the same pattern that's been used for building automation and industrial automation connectivity standards over the past couple of decades that have added implementations that move their application layer protocols from non-IP physical/link layer protocols to IP-based physical/link layer protocols. For example Modbus-RTU is an industrial communication protocol based on either RS-232 or RS-422 physical layers and it's been moved on top of IP and is known as Modbus-TCP. Kind-of/sort-of similar to how land lines telephones that used to require discrete wiring can now be implemented on top of IP, i.e., VOIP phones.  

- This is all part & parcel to the general convergence of connectivity standards to build on the broad base of "internet of things" (IoT) technology. It makes a great deal of sense going forward, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you should be in a hurry to rip out an existing application that is serving your needs simply to move to the newer standard. I've been deep in the trenches with this kind of technology and standards development on the industrial side of things for 25+ years and all new standards require a certain amount of "settling time" or debounce to work through the early adoption kinks. If you're starting from scratch and are willing to absorb a few early adopter bumps, and you can build your system from available components, why not give it a try?  

- Now ... if you're really talking at a level of "air gap" isolation, converging multiple protocols and riding everything on top of IP is at some level removing the air gap. This doesn't mean that these systems are less secure because there are a slew of security implementations like TLS and encryption that can be used with IP, but from a truly "air gap" standpoint you'd be more "air gapped" by sticking with the non-IP based connected home protocols like Z-Wave+ or Zigbee and making sure that you never provide any bridging, gateways, or direct connectivity between the non-IP protocols and the IP world, i.e., do not cross the streams. 

I'm firmly entrenched in a non-IP based connected home solution that's been very reliable for me. I have no motivation to move to Matter/Thread or anything else anytime soon. Ask me again in 5 years and my answer may be very different. But here's the thing with "standards" - if they are truly "standards" they will be around for 10, 15, 20, ++ years if they are "standards worth hitching your wagon to." If they go away or radically change in a few years they aren't really standards. You shouldn't feel compelled or rushed to move to standards like you do with new features on a smartphone. Developing and getting widespread adoption of new standards is very time, effort, and cost intensive. If the standards are any good they'll still be around when you need them.   

edited August 2021 avon b7