MacBook Pro to drive mini LED use in displays industry-wide, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2021
The entire industry will be pushed forward by Apple's adoption of mini LED in the MacBook Pro according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple is currently using mini LED in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, enabling the model to offer high levels of brightness and contrast, as well as enhanced image quality. With the technology anticipated to arrive in other products, such as MacBooks, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo offers a few observations on the different stages of Apples' investment in the concept.

"We believe that MacBooks, not iPads, mainly drive Mini LED panel shipments," writes Kuo in the note seen by AppleInsider. "MacBook shipments have not grown much in the past few years. However, we expect MacBook shipments to grow significantly by 20% YoY, or more in 2021 and 2022, due to the adoption of mini LED panels, Apple Silicon, and all-new designs."

Kuo is referencing rumors that Apple is in the process of preparing mini LED-equipped 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models for launch. Volume production for the models is said to have started in August, in preparation for a late-2021 release.

On August 10, another Kuo note claimed Apple was working on an updated mini LED MacBook Air, with a new design incorporating multiple colors. The model, set for a mid-2022 launch, could have a faster processor, and still be offered alongside the existing M1-based MacBook Air.

Kuo reckons that a "fourth stage" of mini LED in industry from 2022 to 2024 will involve other companies getting involved in production, if Apple receives positive feedback from the market over its use of the panels.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    But do we want Mini LED?
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/ipad-pro-display-blooming-issues-explained-fix-mini-led_id132334

Friend of mine Is an artist and returned the iPad in favor of an older model.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Well with the criticism Mini LED has attracted in the iPad Pro, and some TV's I'm not overly keen for it I must say. OLED or LCD is still king, micro LED is where they need to be but that's a way off yet. 
    I'd much rather an OLED screen option.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    But do we want Mini LED?
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/ipad-pro-display-blooming-issues-explained-fix-mini-led_id132334

I call BS on this article.

Mimicking the article, I created a Pages white text on black page, no blooming.
    edited August 2021 michelb76williamlondonbyronlroundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 10
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    omasou said:
    But do we want Mini LED?

exactly. this is how it’ll look if u use a phone camera. if i actually use a 3k camera you will see how minor the “issue” is 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    "We believe that MacBooks, not iPads, mainly drive Mini LED panel shipments," writes Kuo in the note seen by AppleInsider. "MacBook shipments have not grown much in the past few years. However, we expect MacBook shipments to grow significantly by 20% YoY, or more in 2021 and 2022, due to the adoption of mini LED panels, Apple Silicon, and all-new designs." 
    This is a pretty amazing statement, imo. Kuo is essentially saying the Mac will have 20% year on year growth in unit sales. So, in 2022, the Mac will have $40b in revenue, or about $10b per quarter. With $1300 ASP, that's 7.6m units.

It also implies that miniLED will not make it to the iPad Air or lower cost iPads.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Peza said:
    Well with the criticism Mini LED has attracted in the iPad Pro, and some TV's I'm not overly keen for it I must say. OLED or LCD is still king, micro LED is where they need to be but that's a way off yet. 
    I'd much rather an OLED screen option.
    The way your comment reads, it makes it sound like you don't understand that mini LED is simply an advanced backlight unit ("BLU") for LCD, and that it's not an alternate to LCD or OLED. (Micro LED is definitely an alternate though). 
    omasoufastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 10
    omasou said:
    But do we want Mini LED?

I think the article is very fair. It's saying that blooming isn't an issue unless you really look for it. This basically true for everything.

miniLED looks to be Apple's high end display tech for large displays for the next 2 to 4 years. It's going to appear on Macbook Pros, iPad Pros, Macbook Airs and probably the branded external monitors. It's has great contrast, great brightness, great blacks. 99.9% of the time in usage, it will be just as good as OLED, and better than edge lit LED LCDs. So it is a great choice until OLED becomes more affordable and robust or microLED actually becomes mass produceable at 200+ ppi.
    montrosemacs
  • Reply 8 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    tht said:
    omasou said:
    But do we want Mini LED?

I think the article is very fair. It's saying that blooming isn't an issue unless you really look for it. This basically true for everything.

miniLED looks to be Apple's high end display tech for large displays for the next 2 to 4 years. It's going to appear on Macbook Pros, iPad Pros, Macbook Airs and probably the branded external monitors. It's has great contrast, great brightness, great blacks. 99.9% of the time in usage, it will be just as good as OLED, and better than edge lit LED LCDs. So it is a great choice until OLED becomes more affordable and robust or microLED actually becomes mass produceable at 200+ ppi.
    To your first paragraph, I am saying, I DO NOT see any blooming on my iPad Pro (5th gen) no matter how hard I look.

To the second paragraph, I agree, I think mini LED is a stop gap until they can mass produce micro LED which will obviate the need for OLED. Though like Roundaboutnow mentioned mini LED is "a better backlighting" not a new format (probably a better word) like LCD or OLED. That said, I think people are comparing to OLED b/c they can attain some of the benefits of OLED for less cost.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 9 of 10
    omasou said:
    tht said:
    omasou said:
    But do we want Mini LED?

To your first paragraph, I am saying, I DO NOT see any blooming on my iPad Pro (5th gen) no matter how hard I look.

To the second paragraph, I agree, I think mini LED is a stop gap until they can mass produce micro LED which will obviate the need for OLED. Though like Roundaboutnow mentioned mini LED is "a better backlighting" not a new format (probably a better word) like LCD or OLED. That said, I think people are comparing to OLED b/c they can attain some of the benefits of OLED for less cost.
    We are not in any disagreement here.

I did step into the minefield of OLED TV vs FALD TV fans in another forum. There are people who are very emotionally invested, intensely invested, in their TV hardware! And they are conflating TV display tech with computer monitor display tech in virtually all of the iPad Pro miniLED threads, and they will continue to do so when the MBP miniLED models come out. If there is any little bit of blooming, they'll find it and complain, even though it is irrelevant or unnoticeable to people 99.9%, if not 100%, of the time.
    omasou
  • Reply 10 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    But do we want Mini LED?

How on earth can I trust a site that uses A:B comparison sliders on…entirely different photos? Composition and content. Makes no sense. 

omasou