Apple now offers annual AppleCare+ subscriptions for new Mac owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2021
Apple recently updated its AppleCare+ for Mac price structure, allowing new owners to purchase the extended coverage as an annual subscription instead of a three-year up front commitment.

New Mac owners have been able to sign up for AppleCare+ on an annual basis through their computer for about a month, but the option is now available at Apple retail locations, the online Apple Store and app, and by phone, according to the latest installment of Bloomberg's Power On newsletter.

The change, while providing more flexibility than the usual three-year commitment, is more expensive in the long run.

As noted in the newsletter, an annual AppleCare+ subscription for a new 16-inch MacBook Pro runs $140 a year compared to $380 for Apple's three-year plan. Customers who keep the annual subscription for three years end up paying a $40 premium. On the other end of the spectrum, the premium for a 13-inch MacBook Air runs $10 over the same period.

Apple's new coverage structure for Mac arrives roughly four months after the company introduced an option to extend an existing AppleCare+ plan beyond the normal three-year period. Mac owners in the U.S. can opt to add a year of coverage, to be renewed annually, within 30 days after the original plan's expiration.

In July, Apple cut AppleCare+ pricing for the M1-powered MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro by $50 and $20, respectively.

AppleCare+ offers coverage beyond Apple's standard one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of technical support. The service extends hardware repair coverage and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage every 12 months, each subject to a service fee.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Your article should be clear about which MacBook Pro. The 13” is $249 or 89.99 a year. That’s a $21 premium to have the flexibility to cancel. 

The 16” MacBook Pro is $379 or $139.99 a year. That’s the one with a $41 premium to have the flexibility to cancel each year. 

Details I think the article needs. 

Also, MBA is $199 or $69.99 a year. That’s an $11 premium over three years. 
    mwhitedoozydozenpulseimagestwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I never buy AC+ so I don't know about it.
    I get why people buy extended warranty and service. It is peace of mind.. My company offers maintenance agreements similar that gives customers that peace of mind (it'll be fixed ASAP). For me, I roll the dice. I figure the money I save by not buying extended warranties will outright replace a device down the line (if I am unfortunate enough to get a device that dies before its time). But it has happened to me. I had a TV die on me after 16 months and it was a 1 year warranty. That was a tough $$$ pill to swallow. If I'd have bought the 49$ extended warranty I'd have been good. That's the game of chance-roll of the dice. Hopefully I've netted positive $$ by almost never buying extended warranties/services.

But with a one year AC+ option I may be interested on future Apple purchases. So what is the value add for it above the 1 year standard warranty? Is it just express replacement and support?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    what about existing users?

• Reply 4 of 10
    laleslales Posts: 34member
    Apple Care is not just an extended warranty, but more like wall to wall support. While the pandemic has made Apple Care support hours a little confusing, it’s been invaluable for our family. 

It’s not only knowing that I can call with an hardware OR software problem at 2am, but also not having to worry if my computer is displaying wonky behavior 2 months before Apple Care expires, and have Apple replace EVERY SINGLE PART that could potentially be causing an issue. Which Apple has done. THIS is why I remain in the Apple world. 
    ArchStantonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 10
    So what is the value add for it above the 1 year standard warranty? Is it just express replacement and support?
    Accident damage coverage. If you crack the display or fry the board from liquid than the AC+ more than payed for itself. Hell, I had a experience where a stranger spilled their coffee on my MBP. I could have don’t nothing to prevent it. Just like car insurance, you can make the argument to buy it to protect yourself from others
    ArchStantonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Lales and Repressthis, thank you for the responses and information.  
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I get why people buy extended warranty and service. It is peace of mind.. My company offers maintenance agreements similar that gives customers that peace of mind (it'll be fixed ASAP). For me, I roll the dice. I figure the money I save by not buying extended warranties will outright replace a device down the line (if I am unfortunate enough to get a device that dies before its time). But it has happened to me. I had a TV die on me after 16 months and it was a 1 year warranty. That was a tough $$$ pill to swallow. If I'd have bought the 49$ extended warranty I'd have been good. That's the game of chance-roll of the dice. Hopefully I've netted positive $$ by almost never buying extended warranties/services.

But with a one year AC+ option I may be interested on future Apple purchases. So what is the value add for it above the 1 year standard warranty? Is it just express replacement and support?
    Apple computers aren’t as reliable as they once were. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Comparing Applecare+ to third party warranties is a false equivalency.
    For myself:   The first I always buy, the latter I never buy

And, you ask:
    "But with a one year AC+ option I may be interested on future Apple purchases. So what is the value add for it above the 1 year standard warranty? Is it just express replacement and support?"

Yes, better service -- but also accidental damage from when you dropped it or spilled your Starbucks into it.
    And further, this will be extendable our for the life of the equipment -- so it will cover it when it is most likely to simply fail.

• Reply 9 of 10
    KTR said:
    what about existing users?

Applecare+ must be taken out within 30 days (or is it 60 now?) of purchase.   If you extend it, you get the same period after the initial contract expires.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Apple computers aren’t as reliable as they once were. 
    Few computers are.
    They used to be built like Model T's -- simple and solid and easily repairable.  Now, they are thin, light and (mostly) disposable.

twokatmew