Scott Ritter; US defeat in Iraq 'inevitable'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

What happened to the story where Scott Ritter had twice within a three month span arranged to meet underage girls he met on the internet for sex.

He was apparently let off with/not charged for both crimes but someone in the police leaked the details to the press.

Oh, forgot one weird detail. Both the underage girls where actually police officers posing as young girls in order to entrap perverts.

Did I just dream this or did anyone else read it too?

I seem to remember something like that too.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

I am concerned about the chance of this becoming an urban battle within Baghdad. The Iraqi soldiers can just fall back into the city and hole up inside civilian homes and other buildings. Even the civilians may join in.

I think it's inevitable that this will happen, atleast if the Iraqi soldiers have any sense at all. I don't see how the coalition forces can take Baghdad without clearing the city on foot a building at a time, and with it containing over 5 million people, and possibly tens or hundreds of thousands of Republican Guards alone, I can't see it happening any time soon. It may yet turn into another Vietnam, only this time in a concrete jungle.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    What's the deal with this Ritter guy? The war is what, 6 days old and already he and others are claiming an Allied defeat?! Who the hell are these people in their "infinite wisdom" to claim this? For Christ's sake!

Anyway............on a lighter note,

that guy has a beautiful Darth Vader helmet.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    well, if he is right he'll won't have to work for the rest of his life...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    The darth vater thing: I though excatly the same thing. Perhaps he will use the force to strangle all your troops. "You lack of retreate is disturbing. Don´t let it happen again"

Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

What happened to the story where Scott Ritter had twice within a three month span arranged to meet underage girls he met on the internet for sex.

He was apparently let off with/not charged for both crimes but someone in the police leaked the details to the press.

Oh, forgot one weird detail. Both the underage girls where actually police officers posing as young girls in order to entrap perverts.

Did I just dream this or did anyone else read it too?

Well that does it. Anyone who has an sexual interest in young girls obviously doesn´t know two cent about Iraq.

I´m more in the New´ish camp on this one than in Hassan i Sabbahs. But still it worries me what Ritter says. The faster this war is over the less civil causalties there will be, less tempted will Bush be to try to do a Dresden over Baghdad and fewer new recruites will terrorist groups get from this war.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    This is great news. Why aren't the other major news organizations covering this?

On the other side of the coin, President Bush today said that "Saddam is doomed" and that "evil is at its heart" is doomed.

How ridiculous does it sound for the leader of the world's most powerful nation to be demonizing anything?

Pretty damn ridiculous.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    We should start the AINN...

ALL THE NEWS ALL THE TIME FROM ALL SIDES. WITH A LOT OF HUMOR, AND SOME CONSPIRACY THEORIES.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

This is great news. Why aren't the other major news organizations covering this?

On the other side of the coin, President Bush today said that "Saddam is doomed" and that "evil is at its heart" is doomed.

How ridiculous does it sound for the leader of the world's most powerful nation to be demonizing anything?

Pretty damn ridiculous.

What is great news? That Ritter thinks we are doomed to fail?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

AND SOME CONSPIRACY THEORIES.

......... .........
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoahJ

What is great news? That Ritter thinks we are doomed to fail?

Yes. Right now the Bush administration has everyone in near agreement. There's no voice of dissent and you can't have that. You have to think and doublethink what you plan to do. Hans Blix, the current Cheif Weapons Inspector, has wished for more time to do inspections. Scott Ritter, the former Cheif Weapons Inspector, has now gone on the record in total dissent of the Bush Administration's actions.

It's great news because this dissent comes from a fairly authoritative figure.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Scott Ritter:

"I like to molest underage girls."
  • Reply 32 of 41
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Yeah, I'd give up using Ritter as an appeal to authority since it won't convince any hawk that they are wrong. Even if Ritter was right, and he will be if enough Iraqis end up being against an US invasion and occupation, he's been damaged goods ever since it was revealed he was a sexual pervert. Once that was revealed, Ritter was and is easily ignored as an authority.

On the other hand, there are a plethora of ex-mil types and ex-MIB types that are against the war. Even some of the paleo-conservatives (Buchanan, McLaughlin, Novak, et al) see this and express this as an exercise in politics, nothing more.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Well that and he's done a 180 spin on what he thought Iraq's capabilities were after being away from the area.

That tends to hurt one's credibility as well. Testifying to congress that Iraq could rebuild weapons programs quickly and then a few years later (after being nowhere near the actual process) saying there's no way.

Yeah, credibility isn't a friend to Mr. Ritter.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

SDW2001 who lives in Coatsville Pennsylvania told me that he plans to conspire with the CIA, Pentagon, FBI, NSA, Secret Service, Al-Quada, Osama, Usama, Qsama, Chirac, Schroeder, Saddam, Ayatollah, Sirhan Sirhan, James Wilkes Booth, J. Edgar Hoover, James Earl Ray, John Hinkley Jr, Lee Harvey Oswald, Charles Guiteau, the guy who shot McKinley and Darth Vader as well; they are all joining forces to assassinate President George W. Bush and Cheny and Hastert and everyone else and then the clan of Shrubbery will be replaced by Supreme Emperor Daschle who shall rule for a gilded age of seven plus seven years. SDW2001 will join Daschle at his side and they will rule as father and son. Daschle will end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. And thus we will have a new leader who does not demonize anything.

Gotta be some other keywords I am forgetting.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    The war is over. Kiss and make up, you knuckleheads.

• Reply 36 of 41
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Scott Ritter:

"I like to molest underage girls."

Roman Polanski:

"I like to molest underage girls...and win Oscars..."

Sorry, thought it was appropriate...probably not...continue...
  • Reply 37 of 41
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes, Mr. Ritter has been thoroughly discredited--i watched him myself on Frontline talking about how there was no doubt that Iraq as developing WOMD...then, 4 years later he's back telling everyone there is no way that they have any WOMD, nor are they developing them. he also managed to get himself arrested for molestation in between.

NOW he thinks 6 DAYS IN that this is Vietnam? Give me a break.

he's assuming, correctly, that if he is right he'll be a genius and if he is wrong no one will remember he said that.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Theres infinitely less bush in Iraq, it has higher density of populations..how can't it be won?? It'll be bloody but the supply line is still very long.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    "Canopy jungle, just you and charlie, eyeball to eyeball. Now that's ****ing combat. What we have here is a bunch of fig eaters wearin' towels on their heads trying to find reverse in a soviet ****ing tank."

It's a bit frivolous to quote a cinematic character about a real situation, but i think it makes the point.

Modern forces are good at fighting in the desert. All the Iraqis can really do is set up trenches or hide in bunkers, and tanks, aircraft, etc make trench warfare suicide. There are a few reason why we lost in Vietnam, and i don't think any of these reasons are issues in our current situation. We're fighting a distict, non-committed army that's defending an arrid land with few places to hide.

Baghdad is not self sufficient at all. It won't be hard to seige it, and I don't think the Iraqi Army cares enough about their cause to starve to death.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

We're fighting a distict, non-committed army that's defending an arrid land with few places to hide.

Except for a city of 5 million people. Want to guess where they're drawing us?

Cheers

Scott