Apple releases iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15 watchOS 8 public beta 6

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2021
Apple has released the sixth public beta of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, as well as the sixth public beta versions of watchOS 8 and tvOS 15, to members of its public software testing program.

iOS 15 public beta six available to testers
iOS 15 public beta fifth available to testers

The sixth public betas should be essentially the same as the sixth developer betas, which Apple seeded on Tuesday. The builds can be acquired from the Apple Beta Software Program web portal or, for Apple Watch and Apple TV, through device settings.

The new betas include more design tweaks to Safari and a new option to toggle the old top-bar Safari design from iOS 14. Animations for changing tabs or opening the tab picker in Safari are much more fluid as well, signaling the impending final version is coming soon.

The controversial CSAM detection software will be included sometime after the new software launches in the fall. Apple hasn't stated when it will include the software during the beta cycle.

Testers of watchOS 8 can try out new workouts, respiratory rate monitoring in the Sleep app, Digital Crown cursor control and more. The beta can be downloaded after installing the latest iOS 15 beta on a host iPhone.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices and ensure sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mobirdmobird Posts: 758member
    I would find it interesting to know how the current iOS 15 Beta cycle compares to previous iOS Beta cycles (with comparable announced new features forthcoming) in the number of enrollees participating. Are there more, are there less enrollees due to the CSAM fiasco?

Still wanting to know why no mention of CSAM fiasco at Apple's very own WWDC this past June?

First time for me to not participate in the iOS Beta cycle. Will have to wait and see what becomes of the CSAM fiasco...Need to hear and understand this better.
    I want to hear Tim Apple's spin on this...fiasco.
    He will have to address this publicly in the not too distant future most likely. Apple corporate communications have most likely been creating drafts upon drafts for months now on how best for Tim Apple to spin this.   I'm waiting.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 2 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    I really wish AI would enable comments for the “How To” articles. Rather than being yet another excuse for half the people on these forums to wave their political flag of choice, being able to post comments on the “How To” articles could actually provide a tangible benefit to some. 
    JanNL
  • Reply 3 of 4
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    mobird said:
    I would find it interesting to know how the current iOS 15 Beta cycle compares to previous iOS Beta cycles (with comparable announced new features forthcoming) in the number of enrollees participating. Are there more, are there less enrollees due to the CSAM fiasco?

Still wanting to know why no mention of CSAM fiasco at Apple's very own WWDC this past June?

First time for me to not participate in the iOS Beta cycle. Will have to wait and see what becomes of the CSAM fiasco...Need to hear and understand this better.
    He will have to address this publicly in the not too distant future most likely. Apple corporate communications have most likely been creating drafts upon drafts for months now on how best for Tim Apple to spin this.   I'm waiting.
    Apple has explained this pretty well already, with sever articles about it, including g Apple/s statements about how it functions, what it does, and what it doesn’t do. Look it up.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    mobird said:

Say ‘fiasco’ again.

The fact that you admit you need to understand this better says everything we need to know. Why write anything else before spending the time to do so? What different would you expect Cook to say that hasn’t already been stated multiple times by his officers? Most of us who understand it just fine aren’t participating in the ridiculous pearlclutching and handwringing over this feature.

JanNL