Almost nobody in the US used the Apple & Google COVID-19 apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

the whole thing is wrong. 

“Oh. There’s a new disease. So we must track you. And we need to know your movements as well as those of your contacts.” RIIIIGHT… that’s going to end well… 

Forget HIPAA. Forget privacy. Not to mention potential abuse of something like this. 

This kind of thing did not happen with HIV/AIDS, note the flu, nor pneumonia, nor anything. All of a sudden, a née deadly disease is out and we are supposed to happily forget our humanity so that people who tell us a different story every day can monitor us like lab rats. 

No thanks. 
    Yeah, right, whatever. Except that that attitude most likely killed tens of thousands of people who might have survived otherwise. Unless, of course, the pandemic is a hoax? Is it a hoax? Did Trump win the election?
    That attitude? You mean liking civil liberties?
    ibill
  • Reply 22 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

“Oh. There’s a new disease. So we must track you. And we need to know your movements as well as those of your contacts.” RIIIIGHT… that’s going to end well… 

Forget HIPAA. Forget privacy. Not to mention potential abuse of something like this. 

This kind of thing did not happen with HIV/AIDS, note the flu, nor pneumonia, nor anything. All of a sudden, a née deadly disease is out and we are supposed to happily forget our humanity so that people who tell us a different story every day can monitor us like lab rats. 

No thanks. 
    Yeah, right, whatever. Except that that attitude most likely killed tens of thousands of people who might have survived otherwise. Unless, of course, the pandemic is a hoax? Is it a hoax? Did Trump win the election?
    I thought Trump acknowledged the Chinese virus first and he was belittled as racist?? When he cancels flights….and whats got to do the apps w elections
    Yes he was, because only a fucking idiot calls a global pandemic not by its name, but by "Chinese Virus" and "Kung Flu". Maybe you didn't hear about the rash of attacks on Chinese-Americans as a result of this buffoonery.
    And maybe you didn’t hear that is all media nonsense. There is no evidence that Donald Trump calling it the China virus caused any attacks on Chinese Americans. Just stop.  
    JWSCibill
  • Reply 23 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sdw2001 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 
    I thought Trump acknowledged the Chinese virus first and he was belittled as racist?? When he cancels flights….and whats got to do the apps w elections
    Yes he was, because only a fucking idiot calls a global pandemic not by its name, but by "Chinese Virus" and "Kung Flu". Maybe you didn't hear about the rash of attacks on Chinese-Americans as a result of this buffoonery.
    And maybe you didn’t hear that is all media nonsense. There is no evidence that Donald Trump calling it the China virus caused any attacks on Chinese Americans. Just stop.  
    To be fair, racist violent human trash would likely be that way even without Donald Trump.  But even so, he could've at least tried to be a decent human being.
    fastasleepIreneWmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 24 of 36
    crowley said:
    To be fair, racist violent human trash would likely be that way even without Donald Trump.  But even so, he could've at least tried to be a decent human being.
    And a turd could also try very hard to smell like a rose.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 
    Except that’s how various virus’s have been named throughout history. It’s only the ‘woke’ crowd and those with Trump Derangement Syndrome who decided it was somehow a xenophobic name for it.

I’m no fan of Trump, but fortunately I didn’t allow myself to reach the stage of hating him so much that my own sensibility went out the window.
    JWSCboltsfan17
  • Reply 26 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 
    What has killed people is an initial lack of understanding, significant discord between various leaders and various experts which causes general distrust, blatant lies, deliberately misleading the population through information repression (or are you going to say natural immunity is not worth the CDC’s time?), etc. Further, our increasingly authoritarian leaders’ approach to forcing the vaccine has done little but increase mistrust in the vaccines.

But the biggest factor regarding coronavirus deaths at this point in time is a lack of personal responsibility. Someone like yourself may say the ‘anti-maskers’ kill people. Well, I say the person who needs to be careful killed themselves by not being careful. I say the leaders and the media who have made many of the population hysterical and unable to think for themselves anymore are partially responsible. If you would have told school leaders 18 months ago that they’d be forcing their students to wear ankle monitors to track their movements and keep distance from other students they would have laughed at the ridiculousness of it. And yet, here we are, because they’ve lost their sensibility due to fear, thanks to our leaders and our news outlets. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 27 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    Beats said:
    “Knockoff iPhones that look and function EXACTLY like iPhones give us CHOICE!!!”

Yeah, they also give us fragmentation.
    The fuck are you talking about?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    georgie01 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 
    Except that’s how various virus’s have been named throughout history. It’s only the ‘woke’ crowd and those with Trump Derangement Syndrome who decided it was somehow a xenophobic name for it.
    Hope you're not thinking of the Spanish Flu, which was a misnomer. The WHO says disease names should avoid geographic locations, people’s names, species of animal or food, and other references that could incite fear or place blame, and they're right. The 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak wasn't called the North American flu, was it? That's where it originated from.

And, there's real world data to show that violence against Asian Americans spiked during Covid-19. You'd be a fool to think those things weren't connected.
    edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 29 of 36
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    DAalseth said:
    The system worked fine, it was a good system, it just wasn’t used. 
    From a technical standpoint, I’m sure it worked fine.  But to claim that it was a good system when people, who are an integral part of that system, are not willing to use it, couldn’t be bothered to use it, or lived in states didn’t allow it stretches logic to the breaking point.

And really, this was entirely predictable.  No one should be surprised.
    edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 36
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,323member
    Good 

No thanks. 

Misinformation. Quit spreading it.

Nobody is monitoring you except your device, which you choose to have with you. Nobody knows your location from the COVID apps. Nobody is tracking you.

The IDs used in the system are randomized and rotated on purpose, so tracking is _not_ possible.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,323member
    The battery in my 3 year old iPhone XR kept draining a lot faster than usual. I checked the battery in settings and the contact tracing app was causing it. I turned it off and got all day battery life again. When it rolled out I was mostly at home anyway so I didn’t think much of it. But the only reason I quit using it was the battery issue.

That would be a fault in the app, not the technology developed by Apple or Google.

Canada rolled out a single app to be used nationwide, with individual provinces required to opt-in.

They got it wrong in the US, requiring each state to develop their own app.
    jony0
  • Reply 32 of 36
    The battery in my 3 year old iPhone XR kept draining a lot faster than usual. I checked the battery in settings and the contact tracing app was causing it. I turned it off and got all day battery life again. When it rolled out I was mostly at home anyway so I didn’t think much of it. But the only reason I quit using it was the battery issue.

That would be a fault in the app, not the technology developed by Apple or Google.

Canada rolled out a single app to be used nationwide, with individual provinces required to opt-in.

They got it wrong in the US, requiring each state to develop their own app.
    I actually was working late at my desk with a mostly charged iPhone yesterday, and went to bed and it was dead, which was surprising. Once I got it juiced back up, the two main battery suckers were Music which at first I thought was weird, but I had just added a ton of new music on my Mac and my iPhone is set to download new Music additions — which I think I'll turn off now as the downloads themselves were probably eating battery. BUT, the next biggest battery sucker was Exposure Notifications. There is no "app" in my state, but I have logging "active" and my active region is "Wa state dept of health". That alone was responsible for like 15% that day. I just checked now it's 7% in the last 24 hours. That's not insignificant considering I haven't left my house in the last couple days. What is it doing?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    georgie01 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 
    Hope you're not thinking of the Spanish Flu, which was a misnomer. The WHO says disease names should avoid geographic locations, people’s names, species of animal or food, and other references that could incite fear or place blame, and they're right. The 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak wasn't called the North American flu, was it? That's where it originated from.

And, there's real world data to show that violence against Asian Americans spiked during Covid-19. You'd be a fool to think those things weren't connected.
    Spanish Flu wasn't a misnomer. Did you forget about West Nile Virus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Zika, Ebola, etc. Blaming Trump for violence against Asians is pretty ridiculous. There has been violence against Asians all over the world due to Covid. There was violence against Asians all over in Europe and they hated Trump over there. Whatever Trump called the virus had no affect on the violence against Asians. People are going to be idiots regardless.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 34 of 36
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Why did the Apps leave users to log their own infections? Why was wasn’t a positive test result added by the administering staff? Positive tests were logged for news media but not for the tracking system?

Not all product managers are good product managers.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 35 of 36
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,448member
    DAalseth said:
    The system worked fine, it was a good system, it just wasn’t used. 
    Where it was used it reduced contract tracing load by 10% that sounds like a win to me. Given its when contract tracings gets behind that the virus takes off in a community.
    jony0
  • Reply 36 of 36
    georgie01 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:
    Good 

No thanks. 

Spanish Flu wasn't a misnomer. Did you forget about West Nile Virus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Zika, Ebola, etc. Blaming Trump for violence against Asians is pretty ridiculous. There has been violence against Asians all over the world due to Covid. There was violence against Asians all over in Europe and they hated Trump over there. Whatever Trump called the virus had no affect on the violence against Asians. People are going to be idiots regardless.
    The Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain, so it most definitely is the definition of a misnomer. I didn't forget about the others, I'm saying the current guidance is to avoid doing that to avoid unintended consequences. Nobody is ONLY blaming Trump, but he certainly did contribute to the problem. It's not one or the other.
    muthuk_vanalingamjony0