Tesla iPhone app gets improved visuals, enhanced widgets

Posted:
in General Discussion
Tesla has updated its iOS smartphone app with improved widgets, new controls, and other features for owners of the company's electric vehicles.

Credit: Tesla
Credit: Tesla

Although the core functionality of the app remains unchanged, the visuals have been overhauled, according to NotaTeslaApp. However, there are a few new features, including the ability to be able to send commands to a Tesla vehicle from an iPhone without needing to wake the car up first. Additionally, users can unlock multiple Tesla vehicles using their phone key.

Other updates include a new 3D representation of a vehicle and more fluid animations as users navigate through the app. Tesla has also removed the dedicated Charging section of the app, and implemented charging information only when a vehicle is plugged in.

The speed limit, valet mode, and sentry mode settings have been moved to a new "Security" category, and users can also view Supercharging history from within the app.

There are also two differently sized widgets that can be added to an iPhone Home Screen. The widgets detail a vehicle's name, battery percentage, location or charging info, unlock status, and the time of the last information update. Previously, the Tesla app only featured a much less comprehensive widget in the "Today" view.

The Tesla app is available from the iOS App Store starting Thursday. An Android version should arrive soon.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Also supports Siri commands as long as the app is open (even in the background)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    What commands are supported? 

My biggest complaint with the old app was the time it took to wake up the car. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    MplsP said:

Can't be worse than MyFordMobile.  Takes almost 30 seconds to refresh car status.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Also noticed that the Location feature now uses Apple Maps.   I hope this is a sign of things to come for my model S -- the iOS 15 Maps are stunning!
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    xtian666 said:
    Also noticed that the Location feature now uses Apple Maps.   I hope this is a sign of things to come for my model S -- the iOS 15 Maps are stunning!
    I keep hoping for CarPlay so I can ditch the POS TuneIn app
    kurai_kage
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xtian666 said:
    I am waiting for my S — Oct delivery date was pushed back to Nov, now Dec. No hurry at my end though, thankfully. 

There seem to be some issues developing between Musk and Apple, so I am not holding out for much, if any, integration with CarPlay.  
  • Reply 7 of 11
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    xtian666 said:
    I am waiting for my S — Oct delivery date was pushed back to Nov, now Dec. No hurry at my end though, thankfully. 

There seem to be some issues developing between Musk and Apple, so I am not holding out for much, if any, integration with CarPlay.  
    tesla’s software is superior anyways
  • Reply 8 of 11
    byronl said:
    xtian666 said:

The side mirror position is not indicating in visual
  • Reply 9 of 11
    darkvader said:
    MplsP said:

Can't be worse than MyFordMobile.  Takes almost 30 seconds to refresh car status.
    A big improvement is that you can now use the app without waiting for the car to wake.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    byronl said:
    xtian666 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but Tesla is very responsive and willing to make quick turnaround fixes and push them out to Production.  They are also willing to take suggestions and push those out, unlike other automakers that dangle every new feature, however small, to lure the customer in buy a new car.  Automakers just moving to electric vehicles is not going to be enough to pull customers away from Tesla.  They will need to change with the times or stagnate and die.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Ordered Model 3 early July was due late August-late September but also pushed back to between September 18-26, smaller window, looks promising.