Apple developers can't escape the 30% toll, because the lawyers took it

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    eightzero said:
    You can always go to a different lawyer that works for less. Just like you can go to the other App store to sell apps for the Apple products they are designed for. Right?
    Actually, I do not believe they are allowed to accepted less. You can pay by the hour, and you get all the winnings, or if the lawyer is working on contingency meaning they assuming all the costs to fight the case you have to pay the 30%, this fee is set by the courts. The hourly rate is the only thing you can negotiate or is different from lawyer to lawyer. 

I work in corporate American and been involved in lawsuits between companies these are never contingency, companies never want to share the winnings so they are willing to pay actual costs. Small companies and private citizens usually do not have deep pockets to go the hourly rate path and its required you to stay on top of it or your billed things you probably did not want to pay for.
    duervodarkvaderjony0
  • Reply 22 of 35
    MittyMitty Posts: 18member
    The lawyers will charge that fee once. The changes will affect all small scale developers, not just current ones. 
    edited August 2021 ronndarkvaderlkruppmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 35
    I’d love to see what developers would do, if app stores never came to be. 

How much money, and resources they would need to dump into their project, for it to be sold in a select few retail stores that charge for shelf space. Also, can’t forget that the retailer also needs to make money on it.  Someone remind me, how many retailers gave the tools and resources needed to developers to produce their projects. Ohh that’s right none. 

Apple gave developers everything, the platform, tools, resources and even workshops. They also host the app in their store, push out updates and more. 

Unfortunately developers now are money hungry fools, and don’t understand what it was like. That’s why when the App store first started, developers were ecstatic. But those days are gone, greed is the new common. 
    jony0
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Actuallly, I think if you're a small business lawyers only take 15% of the first million. LOL JK /s
  • Reply 25 of 35
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

How much money, and resources they would need to dump into their project, for it to be sold in a select few retail stores that charge for shelf space. Also, can’t forget that the retailer also needs to make money on it.  Someone remind me, how many retailers gave the tools and resources needed to developers to produce their projects. Ohh that’s right none. 

Apple gave developers everything, the platform, tools, resources and even workshops. They also host the app in their store, push out updates and more. 

Unfortunately developers now are money hungry fools, and don’t understand what it was like. That’s why when the App store first started, developers were ecstatic. But those days are gone, greed is the new common. 

They'd do the same thing they always did before, write and sell apps, without losing 30% to greedy Apple.

Greedy developers?  Adobe comes to mind, MicroSloth comes to mind, but for the most part they're not the greedy ones.  Apple's 30% cut and spyOS lock-in for app sales is the very definition of greed.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    But we all knew that "Small Developer Assistance Fund" was BS from the start, right? It is not a fund to assist small developers. It is a settlement for the a class action lawsuit which will be used to pay the lawyers first leaving whatever scraps remain for the developers. Apple should name it such and then create an actual fund to assist small developers which no lawyers can touch.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    darkvader said:

They'd do the same thing they always did before, write and sell apps, without losing 30% to greedy Apple.

Greedy developers?  Adobe comes to mind, MicroSloth comes to mind, but for the most part they're not the greedy ones.  Apple's 30% cut and spyOS lock-in for app sales is the very definition of greed.
    Please explain ‘greedy’. Is there some standard definition? Or is it just your bullshit opinion based upon your abject hatred of the company? Oh, and by the way, please tell us which non-spyOS to use instead of iOS since you are so butthurt over the CSAM issue. Yes, please name one. Never mind, I don't expect an answer from someone like you.
    edited August 2021 sbdudejony0
  • Reply 28 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    darkvader said:

Please explain ‘greedy’. Is there some standard definition? Or is it just your bullshit opinion based upon your abject hatred of the company? Oh, and by the way, please tell us which non-spyOS to use instead of iOS since you are so butthurt over the CSAM issue. Yes, please name one. Never mind, I don't expect an answer from someone like you.
    Lack of alternative doesn't mean Apple aren't behaving badly and deserving of criticism.
    ronn
  • Reply 29 of 35
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    darkvader said:

The point, which you missed entirely, is that developers used to spend 40-50-60% (or more) of their revenue to advertise and distribute their product, whereas they now spend nothing and gain the ability to complain. When software came in boxes (you're probably to young or something else entirely to remember), developers paid for shelf space at CompUSA, a distributor to ship the product, a packer to box the product, a manufacturer to write the media (CDs, Floppies). Now, they don't have to do any of those things. Is that worth 30%? Hell yeah it is. But when you don't have anything to complain about, you usually complain about that.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 30 of 35
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    But we all knew that "Small Developer Assistance Fund" was BS from the start, right? It is not a fund to assist small developers. It is a settlement for the a class action lawsuit which will be used to pay the lawyers first leaving whatever scraps remain for the developers. Apple should name it such and then create an actual fund to assist small developers which no lawyers can touch.

Why does Apple need to start a fund to help small developers in the first place? Optics?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    sbdude said:

Why does Apple need to start a fund to help small developers in the first place? Optics?
    I don't know actually. Good question. Here is another one: Why did Apple name it the Small Developer Assistance fund?
  • Reply 32 of 35
    There are already far too many Lawyers in the world. US Law Schools are churning them out by the tens of thousand every year. Soon, the USA will be made up entirely of lawyers who will sue each other just to survive.  Dog eat dog. Personally and because I have been screwed by a Lawyer (I sued and won but he refused to pay up before skipping the country) I hope that they all meet a horrible and very painful lingering death.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    darkvader said:

It not write just write and sell app it never been that way. You are showing you do not understand the standard commercialization model for software over the years. Prior to the App store. Developer has to get their software loaded onto disk/CD or other media then shrink wrapped and get it ready for distributions. Then they would have to find distributor to get their software in to the retail locations, once on the store shelf then the development has to spend time and money on marketing their products and where to buy it. During those time the Media/Shrink Wrapper collect a fee, the Distributor collect a fee and the Retail store gets their cut. This could add up to 50% of the selling price. Due this time very small developer hardly made sells. When you could down load from a website, this was better then the previous method, but the developer was required to pay for a secure hosting site, pay monthly fees even when a single down has not happen. They had to have payment processing agent who collect a fee for their service, then the credit card company got their cut and so on. There are lots of people between the developer and the consumer with their hands in the bucket. During this time most people did not buy software online for lots of reasons, one reason people did not like putting their CC information into a website they were not familiar with, second was the possibility of downloading a virus along with the software. There were lots of website which look like the office software download site which was just a virus loaded download.

Apple solved all these problems for developers especially the small one, today they write code upload to App store, and they are done and wait for their monthly checks from Apple and Apple handle all the order fulfillment process and security. Developer get this all for 30% cut. Think about all the people small developers would have to hire just to manage everyone after just writing code as you put in. I can tell you the cost for all this work and people is more than the 30% cut.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Face it the developers Lawyers negotiate this for them, if they have any complaints that should have leveled at their lawyers. But lets not forget, the lead plaintiff on this case had to agree with deal so any complaint need to go to the lead plaintiff.