Security of Quebec vaccine passport app's QR codes questioned

Posted:
in iOS
Flaws have been uncovered in a vaccine passport iOS app, after security researchers and hackers have shown there are many security issues with Quebec's mobile verification system.

Quebec has released its VaxiCode app, a COVID-19 vaccination passport intended to provide a way to prove a person's vaccination status via their iPhone. Shortly after its release, the security of the system as a whole has already come into question.

A computer programmer identified as "Louis" successfully disproved claims by Quebec's digital transformation minister, Eric Caire, that the QR codes generated by the system "cannot be falsified, modified, or copied." In a CBC report, the man managed to create a fake proof of vaccination for a person who did not exist.

After storing the proof in the VaxiCode app, the proof was then able to fool the VaxiCode Verif companion app, intended for businesses to verify the documentation.

"Honestly, I am surprised that I was able to penetrate the system so easily," said the programmer.

The security issues aren't just limited to creating fake proof. On Thursday, it was reported a group of hackers were able to acquire the QR codes for Premier Francois Legault, Mayor Valerie Plante, Quebec health minister Christian Dube, along with proofs of provincial opposition leasers and minister Caire.

The QR codes contain a number of pieces of information, including names, dates of birth, dates of vaccination, and the types of vaccines used. Caire downplayed the issue, maintaining the system is safe to use.

The system was intended to be as simple as possible to encourage adoption, but Caire says the province could make the process of obtaining a QR code more complex for improved security.

Caire also says that citizens will also have to show photo identification to go to venues that require a vaccination passport. "The heart of the story is to prove your identity," said Caire. "I want it to be very clear, the QR code has not been falsified, it has not been modified, and it remains secure."

Quebec is mandating the use of vaccination passports for a number of activities from September 1, including sitting in a bar or restaurant, going to a festival or gym, and other situations with a high risk of transmission.

The issues have led to a letter being sent from Quebec Solidare spokesperson Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois to Quebec Premier Legault, calling the situation an "unforgivable mess." The letter asks the premier to fix the breach, "otherwise, suspending the vaccine passport until a long-term solution is found will need to be considered."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    That is disconcerting. They are implementing a Vaccine Passport here in BC next month. I hope they use a more secure system. It's sad thought that there are people that will work hard to make themselves a fake VP, or buy one from someone, rather than just getting the shot for free. Reminds me of the people that spend a hundred dollars worth of time and hassle to build a system to save thirty dollars on their taxes. 
    Scot1baconstangdarkvader
  • Reply 2 of 22
    DAalseth said:
    That is disconcerting. They are implementing a Vaccine Passport here in BC next month. I hope they use a more secure system. It's sad thought that there are people that will work hard to make themselves a fake VP, or buy one from someone, rather than just getting the shot for free. Reminds me of the people that spend a hundred dollars worth of time and hassle to build a system to save thirty dollars on their taxes. 
    I live in Quebec and what is sad is the implementation of a vaccine passport that will create two classes of citizens. Call it segregation, apartheid. This is 1938 Nazi Germany nothing less. BC and Ontario will follow. Canada is now known as Chinada. Shame.

OctoMonkeybravomike
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I live in Quebec and what is sad is the implementation of a vaccine passport that will create two classes of citizens. Call it segregation, apartheid. This is 1938 Nazi Germany nothing less. BC and Ontario will follow. Canada is now known as Chinada. Shame.

Franchement, là. Frankly. Nothing in this problem can be compare the Nazi treatment. Know you’re history not the one push forward by the laughable farfadas. You sound like a complotist argument. It doesn’t stand the road. Shame.

applguydarkvaderauxiobaconstangyoyo2222
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I also live in Quebec. A vaccine passport is NOT segregation, NOT apartheid and certainly bears no resemblance to what took place in Nazi Germany, Shame on those who make these claims. No one has the right to wilfully infect other persons with Covid - or polio - or any number of other diseases we are vaccinated for. I am 100% in favour of this passport. I want to know that an event I am attending is safe. The public good is more important than individual rights. If this person doesn't want to get vaccinated, he doesn't have to. He just won't get to go to public events - which is best for the rest of us. I have no doubt the security issues will soon be fixed. Besides, my driver's license has more info on it than the passport.
    applguydarkvaderseanjbaconstangcrowleyyoyo2222
  • Reply 5 of 22
    DAalseth said:

That's one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever run across. Sadly you're not the only one to make it. Read a book. Find out what TRUE oppression and victimization is. This is not Naziism or apartheid or segregation or China. You are just flat out wrong on that.
    edited August 2021 applguydarkvaderseanjbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 22
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

That's one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever run across. Sadly you're not the only one to make it. Read a book. Find out what TRUE oppression and victimization is. This is not Naziism or apartheid or segregation or China. You are just flat out wrong on that.
    What about people who can’t get the vaccine, for medical reasons? Are they just shit out of luck? 
  • Reply 7 of 22
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

What about people who can’t get the vaccine, for medical reasons? Are they just shit out of luck? 
    If you can't get the vaccine due to allergy or something else, it sounds like a super-bad idea to go to a concert or other big event -- even more so if you don't know whether the others are vaccinated. Or, what do you think should be the solution?
    darkvaderbaconstangyoyo2222
  • Reply 8 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

If you can't get the vaccine due to allergy or something else, it sounds like a super-bad idea to go to a concert or other big event -- even more so if you don't know whether the others are vaccinated. Or, what do you think should be the solution?
    People who can't get a vaccine (for COVID or anything else) shouldn't be locked up for the rest of their lives. Or are you saying this passport should only be used for a limited amount of time? I'm pro-vaccine, but there has to be respect and answers for those people who can't get it. And you aren't providing the answer; you are asking others to come up with an answer for you.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

I don’t know what the solution is, but the passport is required for more than just concerts. Plenty of people with allergies, as you say, go to restaurants and gyms. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Your ignorance of the true horrors of Nazi Germany is stupefying and insulting to the memories of all those that suffered its actions.

Segregation and apartheid are policies that divide people on attributes they have no control over such as race.
    Not getting vaccinated is a choice, one which has consequences both positive and negative. Grow up and take responsibility for your (deluded anti-vax) choice.
    baconstangyoyo2222
  • Reply 11 of 22
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

People who can't get a vaccine (for COVID or anything else) shouldn't be locked up for the rest of their lives. Or are you saying this passport should only be used for a limited amount of time? I'm pro-vaccine, but there has to be respect and answers for those people who can't get it. And you aren't providing the answer; you are asking others to come up with an answer for you.

The answer is simple.  For those who can't get the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons, give them free daily COVID tests for the duration of the pandemic.  For those who just won't get it, eliminate them from society - essentially house arrest for the duration of the pandemic.  No need for vaccine passports, just GPS ankle bracelets for the antisocial antivaxxers.  If they want to be disease carriers, they get quarantined instead.  That way it's their choice, all they'd have to do to get out of quarantine is get vaccinated.

baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

My partner is a nurse and she said that the percentage of people who truly can't get the vaccine for medical reasons (i.e. scientifically proven reasons) is minuscule.  The health centre she works at has actually prepared a very good statement for people seeking medical exemptions simply because they don't want the vaccine.
    teejay2012baconstangyoyo2222
  • Reply 13 of 22

How obscene to bring in a Nazi reference. Have you no decency?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

The list of reasons that prevent an adequate vaccine response is well described. They are being offered a third dose.
    The list of reasons that medically prevent a first dose is non existent as mRNA vaccines have never been used before.
    The list of reasons that medically limit a second dose includes serious adverse effects such as myocarditis. Tough decision for those folks.
    The list of reasons that people just refuse vaccines includes fear, ignorance, anti-government rebellion, stubbornness, selfishness, childishness, .. but these are not medical reasons.

baconstangyoyo2222
  • Reply 15 of 22
    IreneW said:
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

Yes, I'm asking what you suggest? I can see a lot of problems with these passes, but i can personally not think of a better way to get rid of some of the restrictions we have _sll_ been living under for some time now. I'm tired of it, and would like to start living again. But if we don't agree to stop the virus spreading, I'm afraid that won't happen.
    Is your solution to just open everything up again, without restrictions, and see what happens? Or continue to struggle with new test every time we want to travel or gather. I'd like to know.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bravomike said:
    Anyone who thinks a vaccine passport is a good idea is a very good example of a brainwashed MSM muppet who is not that different than those who were obedient to the Nazis in WWII.

Brainwashed muppets who don't have the critical thinking skills or the intelligence to even have critical thinking skills.

Stupid people have taken over.
    So, with your superior intelligence, please enlighten us: what is your idea? How can we solve this?

(And, the next time, i suggest you avoid using terms like "MSM muppet" at the same time you call me stupid. It kind of has the opposite effect.)
    yoyo2222
  • Reply 17 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    hexclock said:
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

I am pretty sure that those people will get an 'all clear' passport validation. It will b e up to them if they want to attend risky events but they won't be excluded.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    bravomike said:
    Anyone who thinks a vaccine passport is a good idea is a very good example of a brainwashed MSM muppet who is not that different than those who were obedient to the Nazis in WWII.

Brainwashed muppets who don't have the critical thinking skills or the intelligence to even have critical thinking skills.

Why?  If you're such an intelligent critical thinker then offer reasons, rather than comparisons to the Nazis.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    bravomike said:

You are exhibit A. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:
    I live in Quebec and what is sad is the implementation of a vaccine passport that will create two classes of citizens. Call it segregation, apartheid. This is 1938 Nazi Germany nothing less.
    It's a fair bit less.  Jews had it a whole lot worse than not being allowed into the theatre.  They also didn't have the option of a free injection that would both benefit their health and make them not Jewish.