Woman credits Apple Watch with saving life after AFib alert

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2021
Apple Watch continues a streak of assisting wearers facing potentially life-threatening situations, with the device recently credited with alerting a 70-year-old user of a serious heart condition.

Apple Watch

In June, Yolie De Leon of Arizona said she was about to head out for a walk when she received an alert on her Apple Watch, reports La Crosse Tribune.

"It said my heart rate was at 174," De Leon said. "It said, You are an AFib,' and said, Call your doctor immediately.'"

AFib, or atrial fibrillation, is an irregular heart rate often characterized by rapid beats that can lead to heart failure or stroke.

Doctors at a local hospital confirmed the diagnosis provided by De Leon's Apple Watch.

The report fails to mention the Apple Watch model owned by De Leon, but Apple's wearable has touted AFib detection since 2018. Watch regularly collects analyzes data from its optical heart rate sensor, allowing the device to form a broad overview of a wearer's heart health. Users are alerted when irregularities are detected, including higher than normal heart rates and unusual rhythms.

Apple Watch added to its quiver of heart health functions with ECG capabilities in Apple Watch Series 4, allowing it and later models to deliver more accurate heart rate readings. Last year, Apple Watch Series 6 launched with an optical blood oxygen sensor that provides valuable insight into saturation levels and could help detect conditions like sleep apnea.

Another Watch feature, fall detection, recently made headlines for potentially saving the lives of two users who took hard falls. Earlier this month, the feature automatically called authorities after being triggered in a car accident involving a Missouri sheriff's deputy.

Apple is rumored to introduce non-invasive blood glucose monitoring with a next-generation Watch model, a technology widely viewed as a "holy grail" of modern medical science. The company reportedly has a team dedicated to the project and filed for a number of patents related to the function, though it remains unclear if the technology is ripe for public release.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    I passed out a month ago. The watch didn’t give a trace of my heart condition. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ivanh said:
    What is your heart condition? 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dk49dk49 Posts: 271member
    I have always wondered how the Apple Watch detects AFib? Does it require a special sensor, other than the heart rate sensor? If not then why don't all smart bands/smart watches with heart rate sensor detect AFib? 
  • Reply 4 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,121member
    ivanh said:
    And you believe that AFib is the only reason that people pass out?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,621member
    dk49 said:
    I have always wondered how the Apple Watch detects AFib? Does it require a special sensor, other than the heart rate sensor? If not then why don't all smart bands/smart watches with heart rate sensor detect AFib? 
    Fair question. I presume it's because those other watches don't have the software/hardware to detect if the high heart rate is for some reason other than the person is exercising. And even with that software you would probably need government approval to claim your device detects Afib. I'm sure Apple went through a lot of work to get Afib detection approval.

Funny thing about Afib is that you don't really know that you have it. I.e., you don't really notice that your heart is beating fast. Although it does make you feel very sluggish. So I guess you could notice it if you were educated about the symptoms.
    dk49
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dk49 said:
    So, if you take a look at the notification in the picture in the article, what it says is that it has detected irregular heart rhythm "suggestive of atrial fibrillation" so not officially "detecting" or diagnosing AFib but rather notifying you of something that has been detected that may be AFib. And yes, as far as I can tell it is just based on the heart rate sensor. In the health app in the section about irregular rhythm notifications it says "Apple Watch can notify you if it sees your heart beating with an irregular rhythm that may be atrial fibrillation." In "How it works" it says "Apple Watch will occasionally look at your heart beat to check for an irregular rhythm that may be AFib." Also says elsewhere "Apple Watch is not constantly looking for AFib. This means Apple Watch cannot detect all instances of AFib, and people with AFib may not get a notification." And "If you receive a notification, Apple Watch identified an irregular heart rhythm that may be AFib and confirmed it with multiple readings." 
    About that last part, I can't find the exact wording right now, but I seem to remember reading something about how if it gets this kind of reading a certain number of times within a day or whatever then you'll get the notification. So it's not just if it gets a high reading once. I got the notification one day when I had been experiencing noticeable heart rate irregularity all day. Got the notification late in the evening. In the data it shows me five different readings that it collected over about an 8 hour period before it gave me the notification. And yes I have since seen my doctor about it and things seem to be fine for now :)
    But all in all I think it is just based on heart rate data that it collects methodically and notifies you that it "MAY BE" AFib if it gets what it thinks is enough data over a period of time to make that suggestion.
    muthuk_vanalingamdk49
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ivanh said:

Drinking too much can do that.   And it also creates a heart condition.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    dk49 said:
    I got the notification one day when I had been experiencing noticeable heart rate irregularity all day. Got the notification late in the evening. In the data it shows me five different readings that it collected over about an 8 hour period before it gave me the notification. And yes I have since seen my doctor about it and things seem to be fine for now :)
    So Apple Watch “saved your life” as well then 😉
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dk49 said:

As I understand it, it is two phased:
    If the optical heart rate sensor detects an irregular beat it will give you a warning.  It does the same for unexplained bradycardia (slow) or tachycardia (fast) heart rates. 

In addition, it can also take a more precise electronic measure of rate and rhythm with its EKG function -- which is not automatic and continuous but far more precise and accurate.   Basically, if the EKG says you have A-Fib, bradycardia or tachycardia then you do -- at least at that moment.  But it would take a more complete (12 lead) medical EKG and other tests to fully diagnose it.

But, it's important to realize that A-Fib, bradycardia and tachycardia are more similar to high blood pressure than, say, a heart attack:  as your risk of a bad outcome (like stroke) is mostly over time rather than immediate.   Like with diabetes, there may be more people living with the condition than being treated for the condition.   But, over time, if the condition is not treated, something bad is far more likely (certain?) to happen.
    dk49
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dk49dk49 Posts: 271member
    dk49 said:

As I understand it, it is two phased:
    If the optical heart rate sensor detects an irregular beat it will give you a warning.  It does the same for unexplained bradycardia (slow) or tachycardia (fast) heart rates. 

In addition, it can also take a more precise electronic measure of rate and rhythm with its EKG function -- which is not automatic and continuous but far more precise and accurate.   Basically, if the EKG says you have A-Fib, bradycardia or tachycardia then you do -- at least at that moment.  But it would take a more complete (12 lead) medical EKG and other tests to fully diagnose it.

But, it's important to realize that A-Fib, bradycardia and tachycardia are more similar to high blood pressure than, say, a heart attack:  as your risk of a bad outcome (like stroke) is mostly over time rather than immediate.   Like with diabetes, there may be more people living with the condition than being treated for the condition.   But, over time, if the condition is not treated, something bad is far more likely (certain?) to happen.
    Doesn't measuring EKG require manual intervention from the user, as you need to be touching the digital crown for that. And yes, you are right that EKG will give much more precise reading. I think that's why the newly launched Fitbit charge 5 needs manual intervention to detect AFIB, unlike the Apple watch. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Atrial fibrillation (afib) is not what is usually considered a life threatening condition so the headline for this article is completely sensational and misleading. The risk from afib is not immediate but rather that you are more susceptible to forming a blood clot in your heart's atrium which could lead to a stroke.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,447member
    rjackb2 said:
    Atrial fibrillation (afib) is not what is usually considered a life threatening condition so the headline for this article is completely sensational and misleading. The risk from afib is not immediate but rather that you are more susceptible to forming a blood clot in your heart's atrium which could lead to a stroke.
    With 195K deaths attributed to "atrial fibrillation and flutter" in 2015, I think it's safe to say this fits the definition of life-threatening:

"Definition of life-threateningcapable of causing death; potentially fatal"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/life-threatening

• Reply 13 of 16
    rjackb2 said:
    With 195K deaths attributed to "atrial fibrillation and flutter" in 2015, I think it's safe to say this fits the definition of life-threatening:

"Definition of life-threateningcapable of causing death; potentially fatal"

He meant an immediately acute problem such as a heart attack.  A-Fib tends to be more like High Blood pressure or diabetes that, over time, will also generate condition that kills you.  Many people live with those conditions for years without knowing it.  It's why the doctor checks your blood pressure every time he sees you -- it's quick, cheap, easy and saves lives -- and now the Apple Watch is doing the same for A-Fib.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    rjackb2 said:

"Definition of life-threatening: capable of causing death; potentially fatal"

He meant an immediately acute problem such as a heart attack.  A-Fib tends to be more like High Blood pressure or diabetes that, over time, will also generate condition that kills you.  Many people live with those conditions for years without knowing it.  It's why the doctor checks your blood pressure every time he sees you -- it's quick, cheap, easy and saves lives -- and now the Apple Watch is doing the same for A-Fib.
    I understand exactly what he meant. That doesn't mean that afib isn't potentially life threatening, as I illustrated with real world data. The headline isn't wrong if SHE credits it with saving her life, even if it was only potentially so. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    hentaiboy said:
    dk49 said:
    I got the notification one day when I had been experiencing noticeable heart rate irregularity all day. Got the notification late in the evening. In the data it shows me five different readings that it collected over about an 8 hour period before it gave me the notification. And yes I have since seen my doctor about it and things seem to be fine for now :)
    Well, it didn't happen again after that. Saw the doctor, EKG, nothing. Sent to cardiologist, EKG, a few days with a monitor, nothing. I'm glad for the notification. As I said I had noticed the irregularity that day, but lets just say I'm... stubborn. The notification was enough to convince me I shouldn't just shrug it off. Though nothing has come of it exactly, I'm glad I went ahead and got checked out and it's at least something we're keeping an eye on now. From the story in this article it sounds like the lady was elderly (I'm not) and maybe had not detected the symptoms herself so it could have gone on unknown to much more dangerous circumstances for her. Maybe really did save her life. I don't think in my situation I was in any immediate risk, but none the less like I said I'm glad for the notification and that my little apple watch is looking out for me.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hentaiboy said:
    dk49 said:
    Well, it didn't happen again after that. Saw the doctor, EKG, nothing. Sent to cardiologist, EKG, a few days with a monitor, nothing. I'm glad for the notification. As I said I had noticed the irregularity that day, but lets just say I'm... stubborn. The notification was enough to convince me I shouldn't just shrug it off. Though nothing has come of it exactly, I'm glad I went ahead and got checked out and it's at least something we're keeping an eye on now. From the story in this article it sounds like the lady was elderly (I'm not) and maybe had not detected the symptoms herself so it could have gone on unknown to much more dangerous circumstances for her. Maybe really did save her life. I don't think in my situation I was in any immediate risk, but none the less like I said I'm glad for the notification and that my little apple watch is looking out for me.

Was the notification from the optical sensor?  Or, did you take an EKG with the watch?  If the latter, did the doctors see the EKG from the watch?

The optical scanner is not as accurate as the EKG -- but I haven't seen any stats on just how accurate it is.
    But, A-Fib can come and go.   If it was a verified A-Fib from the EKG, I would keep a very close eye on it.   It may come back.