South Korea ends Apple, Google control of app store payments

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    aderutter said:
    This will have far reaching effects, so really hope Apple & Google simply pull the app-store from South Korea.
    I

100% agree. Pull the stores and leave South Korea scrambling until consumers rip the government a new one for trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. People retaliating against this legislation will prevent other countries from attempting to do the same. Allowing alternative stores opens up the platform to a world of hurt. There’s a reason I don’t use Android. I don’t want my experience as a consumer to be ruined or compromised because some clueless government bureaucrats half way around the world went on some bullshit self righteous crusade in seek of good press.
    Come on man, that’s unrealistic and a somewhat childish response. Apple makes so much money in SK, and removing their store there would be in violation of consumer rights who now end up with a brick with a screen. 
    Wait... are you saying that it would be illegal for Apple to close their doors in South Korea?  Are you seriously saying that Apple is not allowed to go out of business in South Korea? 
    randominternetpersonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 110
    aderutter said:
    This will have far reaching effects, so really hope Apple & Google simply pull the app-store from South Korea.
    I
    Imo, neither company is going to pull it's app store from SK.  That's silly.  SK is just the first in a line of countries that are probably going to pass similar legislation.  Neither Apple nor Google is going to leave those countries either.  Again, because it's silly.  Google has one issue (alternative pay system) and Apple has two (alternative pay system and alternative app stores).  The only thing that will have an impact on either store is the option of alternative pay systems.  Google has always lived with the specter of alt-stores and that threat has amounted to nothing of consequence.  Imo, it will be the same on the iOS side.  People are going to continue to go to the App Store just like they continue to go to the Play Store (even though there have been dozens of alt-stores since the beginning of Androids existence)

The alt-pay systems might have a small impact initially.  Might.  My guess is both companies will have an indicator on apps that use their pay systems so customers know when an app uses an alternative.  Dollars to doughnuts, the vast majority of people will gravitate towards what they know, Apple and Google.  

Forum people are all up in arms over what will amount to a nothing burger imo.  
    Sorry, but that's an insane assessment.  The requirement to allow a third-party App Stores is almost certainly a deal breaker for Apple. If they open that Pandora's box, they'll have changed the iOS ecosystem irreversibly.  I can't see Apple doing that "just" because one country (an important, but not absolutely critical one) says so.  I have no idea what's going to happen next, but to characterize this as a "nothing burger" is completely misreading the situation.
    jony0
  • Reply 63 of 110
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sflocal said:
    aderutter said:
    I

100% agree. Pull the stores and leave South Korea scrambling until consumers rip the government a new one for trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. People retaliating against this legislation will prevent other countries from attempting to do the same. Allowing alternative stores opens up the platform to a world of hurt. There’s a reason I don’t use Android. I don’t want my experience as a consumer to be ruined or compromised because some clueless government bureaucrats half way around the world went on some bullshit self righteous crusade in seek of good press.
    Come on man, that’s unrealistic and a somewhat childish response. Apple makes so much money in SK, and removing their store there would be in violation of consumer rights who now end up with a brick with a screen. 
    Wait... are you saying that it would be illegal for Apple to close their doors in South Korea?  Are you seriously saying that Apple is not allowed to go out of business in South Korea? 
    Going out of business is a different prospect from withdrawing a feature.  Apple getting rid of the store permanently could well result in a class action lawsuit.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    aderutter said:
    I

The law isn't about opening up iOS and Android to new stores. It's about letting developers take payment in their apps by other means than Apple and Google.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    fred1 said:
    A bad month for The White House. First Afghanistan and now this. It just keeps getting worse.  :s
    WTF does this have to do with the White House?
    baconstangEsquireCatsjd_in_sb
  • Reply 66 of 110
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

The law isn't about opening up iOS and Android to new stores. It's about letting developers take payment in their apps by other means than Apple and Google.
    cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

Okay, so how does Apple get paid for having the store and allowing a developer to offer their wares in said store? How about a monthly or yearly fee for allowing a developer to sit on the app store shelves? How about another fee for promoting an app on the store? 

Let’s say I walk into a Best Buy and pick up a Denon AVR for my new audio system. I take it to the checkout and announce I want to pay Denon directly for this, not Best Buy but hey, thanks Best Buy for having this in stock so I can check it out, twist the knobs, listen to it. You would want the government to force Best Buy to do that? Really? Why do manufacturers sell their goods wholesale to retailers so the retailers can add a markup and make a profit? 

Explain the difference between Apple wanting a commission from developers and Best Buy making  profit on that Denon AVR.
    edited August 2021 entropysradarthekatjony0n2itivguy
  • Reply 67 of 110
    lkrupp said:
    cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

Okay, so how does Apple get paid for having the store and allowing a developer to offer their wares in said store? How about a monthly or yearly fee for allowing a developer to sit on the app store shelves? How about another fee for promoting an app on the store? 
    The developer paid for listing in the App Store with their developer account subscription, and 30% taken from the app cost.  It's only in-app purchases that are affected by this.

If Apple wants to raise the developer account subscription cost or introduce a hosting fee, of course they can.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    crowley said:
    sflocal said:
    aderutter said:
    I

Going out of business is a different prospect from withdrawing a feature.  Apple getting rid of the store permanently could well result in a class action lawsuit.
    On what grounds?
    baconstang
  • Reply 69 of 110
    avon b7 said:
    omasou said:
    I'd love to see them stop selling hardware and apps in SK until it settles and see how the SK citizens react to going back to Motoral Razrs or bar phones.

Samsung would be the national hero and sweep up every abandoned Apple user. 
    I've been hearing this for years.  The fact that they don't even dominate their home country is a national embarrassment.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    aderutter said:
    I

What consumer rights?  I think anyone without a law degree in this field should stfu.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Right now in Australia phone users are getting a scam text telling them their eBay account has been used for a $300 purchase. Press 1 if this is not legit.

this side loads malware onto an android phone. It doesn’t work fir iOS devices as they won’t let sideloading occur. 

I would just increase the price if apps in SK by the value of the fine rather than roll over. I would also have a pop up explaining to purchasers that apps cost more in SK because the parliament has passed a law requiring Apple to reduce the security of iOS devices, or pay the fine. Apple takes security seriously, but the cost of the action of the SK parliament must not apply to everyone in the world, so regrets it must pass on the cost of the fine tonSK consumers. If you do not like this, lobby your government to overturn this Act.
     This would also be a banner on the SK AppStore
    edited August 2021 baconstang
  • Reply 72 of 110
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Both Google and Apple only allow subscriptions for recurring payments, the new law will open the door for developers to implement top-up style micropayments as well as repetitive payments (similar to kids signing up for premium-SMS.)
    It's possible for Google/Apple to maintain using authorisation features if the credit card/similar is merely being held in the phone - however the protections of having an intermediary/escrow are gone. That will now fall upon the relationship between the consumer and their credit card/payment provider.

Also interesting is how the law has provisions which effectively prevent Apple and Google from holding these apps to higher scrutiny, really that just invites scammers.

On the consumer's end - there is a seldom chance that they'll see a one-time 30% decrease in fees - at the expense of losing numerous protections and features such as allowance and permissions. On balance this is most likely a net loss for consumers and small developers and a win for large developers.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 73 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So if a local restaurant only accepts cash, I can sue them so they need to take my credit card?
  • Reply 74 of 110
    aderutter said:
    I
    Right on. I as well as some other posters here agree with you. I would love to see what s korea would do if they, Apple not sure about Google, their stores down completely and quit selling there altogether. 
    jony0
  • Reply 75 of 110
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I dunno ... looked to me like apps sold in South Korea could use their own payment systems - if and when Apple's lawyers fighting the legislation lose their case.

Does anyone honestly believe that Apple South Korea won't fight this using local lawyers and laws?
    what do you mean? a law has been passed. There is no way Apple or Google can make the law go away but their lawyers can find loophole in the law to allow them to continue their practice. Apple just needs to find a way to keep users continue to use their payment system, which as far I am concerned, I will only trust Apple payment system . Apple just needs to compete on the merit of their system.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

cpsro said:
    aderutter said:
    I

The developer paid for listing in the App Store with their developer account subscription, and 30% taken from the app cost.  It's only in-app purchases that are affected by this.

If Apple wants to raise the developer account subscription cost or introduce a hosting fee, of course they can.
    Yes, it’s in-app purchases. It will be interesting to see how this is addressed by Apple and Google, considering a developer like Epic makes all their money from Fortnite on those platforms via in-app purchases, the app is free, there is no 30% collected from the sale of the app. I doubt Apple/Google will settle for only getting the developer account fee.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    “Should Apple or Google fail to comply with the new law, the government will fine them up to 3% of all of the revenues that the company earns in South Korea, including hardware sales.”

Increase prices 3% to cover the fine. Run a PR blitz letting SK consumers know they govt. is forcing higher prices.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    goofy1958 said:
    aderutter said:
    I

Just because other app stores are allowed, doesn't mean that you have to download apps from them.  Stick with the Apple app store, and there is no change for you (or me).  I would never go to another app store other than Apple's, so not a big deal to me.  If people want to be stupid and download unknown apps from another site, that is on them, and one thing I really hope Apple does is have some sort of disclaimer that if you do, you may void your warranty.

See, this is where you're wrong. You really don't think a new app store trying to get a foothold on iOS would negotiate exclusive apps for their store? It's basically a given. That WOULD happen, especially if the developers are eager enough to get away from apples commission.

So you'd need the app store, and then you'd need "generic store 1" for a couple of apps you need, and then "generic store 2" for that ONE app you needed, and of course you have to keep them to continue getting updates for those apps.

This has been an occational problem on android, with certain apps and games only being available on a certain "store", or not being available on any store at all, but only manually downloadable from the developers website.

Tl;dr Some people might benefit from this law, but the end user is not one of those people.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Well, now what Apple can do is to charge user for iOS software, if the user pays for iOS software, then they can do whatever they want include even side-loading. But if the user opt to use the free version of the iOS software, then they have to use Apple App Store and can only use the Apple's payment system. Apple needs to get money for it's efforts for the iOS development and all kinds of SDKs etc one way or the other. That seems to be fair to me. I am guess 99.5% people would go the free iOS route.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 80 of 110
    mubaili said:
    Apple needs to get money for it's efforts for the iOS development and all kinds of SDKs etc one way or the other.
    Apple are a vertically integrated company; it's often cited as one of their strengths and why their products are so great.  And as such, they don't need to consider every part of their business as a cost centre, or an avenue for sales.  Apple make more than enough money from selling iPhones to justify all iOS development, all SDK tool development, hell potentially even all App Store running costs.  They don't "need" to get money for their efforts in these areas at all, they're making bank, and making it big time, from iPhone sales, which in turn are driven by the sophistication and reliability of iOS and the breadth and quality of the apps that are available on the store, written using the SDK.  It is an integrated product, and Apple are making lots of money out of it already.  
    muthuk_vanalingam