Apple releases slightly revised build of its newest AirTag firmware

Posted:
in General Discussion
Only five days after AirTag firmware version 1.0.291 was released, Apple has updated the firmware again with a slight build number change.

AirTag firmware update
AirTag firmware update

Unlike other device operating systems, the AirTag does not have an update menu to control incoming updates install. Instead, users must wait for the update to install automatically.

According to 9to5Mac, the new firmware version remains 1.0.291, but has a slightly updated build number. The build number has increased from 1A291a to 1A291c.

Users can check the firmware version via the Find My app. Just tap on the "Items" tab, select an AirTag, then tap the battery icon below the device name to view the firmware version.

Only the version number is revealed in the Find My app, so there is no way to know if the new update has been installed if you already had the previous 1.0.291 update.

Apple didn't provide any release notes or documentation for this release.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Mine still has not updated to the first 1.0.291 yet
    napoleon_phoneapartcaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Same. Mine is still on the old firmware. 
    wwinter86twokatmewbuttesilvercaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Same.  Mine’s still 1.0.276
    wwinter86twokatmewnapoleon_phoneapartbuttesilvercaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Mine updated within minutes of checking the version when the phone was near the tag.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Apple really need to make a process better for updating their gear.  I've literally sat my two AirTags under the phone with FindMy open and let sit...did they update?  Nope.
    Still on the 1.0.276 version...
    napoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mike1 said:
    Mine updated within minutes of checking the version when the phone was near the tag.
    Could you share what else you had running when it updated? Was your phone on AC power? Are you running a beta iOS or a stable release? Was “Find My” opened at the time? Might help some of us solve the puzzle for why ours won’t flash—mine are still stuck on two firmware versions ago…thanks!
    napoleon_phoneapartcaladanian
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    skbear1 said:
    mike1 said:
    Could you share what else you had running when it updated? Was your phone on AC power? Are you running a beta iOS or a stable release? Was “Find My” opened at the time? Might help some of us solve the puzzle for why ours won’t flash—mine are still stuck on two firmware versions ago…thanks!
    Sure.
    Not on AC power at the time.
    Latest version of iOS, not Beta
    Find My was opened for me to check the version and then closed. A few minutes later, I checked again and it had updated.
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I’m still on 1.0.276 on mine as well. I’ve tried everything suggested to upgrade with no luck. I was hoping the new firmware would help with the AirTag draining my iPad, but no luck yet
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Please add a button „START FIRMWARE UPDATE NOW“ since these automatic updates apparently does not work all the time. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mike1 said:
    How many minutes?  Nothing happens here…
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Wonder if it has something to do with the iOS/iPhone version.

This could also be getting things ready for an upcoming features.