US lawmakers laud South Korean app store bill

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    KTR said:
    darkvader said:
    So, this is a mistake.  Not because it's not a good idea, but because it doesn't solve the actual problem:  It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone.  I should be able to install apps from any source of MY choosing.

Sure, Apple forcing payments to only go through them and taking a cut is illegal tying and should never have been allowed in the first place, but so is preventing me from going to the developer's website, downloading an app, and installing it, with no interaction with Apple whatsoever.  Apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, video game consoles shouldn't be able to get away with it, any manufacturer selling hardware with a lock-in for future purchases should be stopped and in Apple's case the fines for illegal tying should be in the billions.
    The US bill also includes a requirement for sideloading.
    And who should pay for the damages if your phone gets compromised?  Should Apple, just because ?  Should Google ? Should the software company? 
    Absolutely no one, you would be the one that installed the software and gave it permissions to access the data in the first place.

All software on iOS runs inside of the same sandbox, this is what grants or denies access to parts of the phone like location, photos, and so on.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 22 of 24
    jungmark said:
    Terrible idea. I’m suppose to trust all the third party payment processors?

how many end users are complaining? 
    People trust random companies all the time to process their payment, even inside apps you already have this for handling physical purchases, the only difference here is you're allowing it on digital purchases as well.

If you run into an issue, that's why credit card companies have fraud protection.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    darkvader said:
    So, this is a mistake.  Not because it's not a good idea, but because it doesn't solve the actual problem:  It's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone.  I should be able to install apps from any source of MY choosing.

Sure, Apple forcing payments to only go through them and taking a cut is illegal tying and should never have been allowed in the first place, but so is preventing me from going to the developer's website, downloading an app, and installing it, with no interaction with Apple whatsoever.  Apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, video game consoles shouldn't be able to get away with it, any manufacturer selling hardware with a lock-in for future purchases should be stopped and in Apple's case the fines for illegal tying should be in the billions.
    iPhone is yours. Everyone agrees with that. You can even send it to me to this address: MyName, MyStreet, MyTown, MyCountry, MyPlanet.

How about iOS? Have you read the EULA before you clicked ‘Agree’? I don’t think so, But it doesn’t matter. Because you signed (‘agreed’) to it.
    So stick to your end of the deal, and stop this nonsense you have written. Or better yet go and read EULA or at least about it. But I doubt you will read anything. Because it looks like that you haven’t read anything good in a while.

And by the way, when you say something is illegal, could you please refer us to the exact paragraph in the law which makes those actions illegal, in your worthless opinion.
    jony0
  • Reply 24 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jungmark said:
    Terrible idea. I’m suppose to trust all the third party payment processors?

how many end users are complaining? 
    S O M E   People trust random companies all the time to process their payment, even inside apps you already have this for handling physical purchases, the only difference here is you're allowing it on digital purchases as well.

If you run into an issue, that's why credit card companies have fraud protection.
    Fixed that for you.

For the most part I only use Apple Pay.  And, on the few occasions where they don't take it, I keep a separate card with a low limit which is only used for those transactions.

Online I only used PayPal until more vendors started using Apple Pay (Amazon is the exception to that).