Google making its own Chromebook CPU inspired by Apple's M1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    seanj said:
    Google would be a lot more successful if it copied Apple more with regards to strategy. 
    At the moment Apple has no real competition and capitalism depends on competition. As we know, Microsoft is too inept which only leaves Google as a possible competitor.
    This is Google copying Apple with regard to strategy. I am extremely skeptical that Google is going to try to copy Apple's chips themselves.  They're employing the same "build what we need instead of shoehorning what's available" strategy that Apple is.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    omasou said:
    anome said:
    Ultimately, this is a good thing. Intel, or rather their architecture, has had way too much hold over the industry for too long. Moving to an open-source based architecture which the hardware manufacturers can tailor to their specific needs is good for us, and maybe we can get some actual innovation going.

All we need to do now is convince MS to ditch Intel altogether. As long as Windows supports x86, we'll never be able to get rid of it, because there will be no incentive for business to move off it.
    For AWS and Apple and probably Google it's about a purpose built (not open source) CPU or SoC for the task vs. a generic be everything to everyone architecture. Especially, one that is as long in the tooth as x86.
    I misspoke, ARM isn't "open-source", but it is "open". Which is what I meant, and if I'd thought about it longer, I'd have realised my mistake.

Apple Silicon (and the putative Google processor) is purpose built, but based on an open architecture - ARM. The same way macOS is purpose built, but based on the open BSD.

I still think anything that gets rid of x86 is a good thing, for a number of reasons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    The big question is if (or when) MSFT will do the same.  The issue of Intel being in trouble with the M class of Apple Silicon replacing Intel chips in Macs is not so much what Apple does but occurs when the other manufacturers do their usual dance of following Apple’s lead (or copying Apple outright) of making their own Silicon.  That’s when the pain will start.
    watto_cobra