Bigger 'Apple Watch Series 7' gives users 16% more pixels to play with

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2021
A larger screen on the "Apple Watch Series 7" will allow the device to display more data than ever, which Apple is taking advantage of with a series of new watch faces, according to a new report.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Apple will market the two "Apple Watch Series 7" sizes as 41mm and 45mm, up from the current 40mm and 44mm sizes. According to Bloomberg, those sizes refer to the vertical dimensions of the case and not the display size, which will be about 1.9 inches on the larger model, up from 1.78 inches.

Sources told Bloomberg that the 45mm "Apple Watch Series 7" will have a resolution of 396-by-484 pixels, up from 368-by-448 pixels. That means the device will have a screen that can fit about 16% more pixels, allowing it to show more complications. Both watches will have a smaller bezel around the displays, and the smaller model will see a similar jump in screen size.

To coincide with the larger screens, Apple has developed a series of new watches faces that pack more information in the additional space.

Some of the watch faces include "Modular Max," which shows the time digitally and features stacked complications that span the length of the screen. A "Continuum" watch face will change based on the flow of time, while an "Atlas" watch face will let a user see all 24 time zones simultaneously. Apple is also working on new Hermes and Nike faces that utilize the larger displays.

While the redesign and display size will take center stage in 2021, Apple is planning a more expansive suite of under-the-hood updates for future watches. The company will also reportedly introduce new models in 2022, including a low-end Apple Watch SE, a rugged model geared towards athletes, and a new flagship model.

Sometime "further in the future," Apple could add a noninvasive glucose monitoring and blood pressure system to the Apple Watch lineup, Bloomberg reported. No timeline on the features was given, however. The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday reported that next year's Apple Watch could feature a thermometer for fertility planning.

Along with the bump in screen real estate, the "Apple Watch Series 7" will also receive a series of other updates. For one, they'll feature a redesigned case with squared edges and faster processors.

Apple is expected to unveil its new "Apple Watch Series 7" models alongside an "iPhone 13" and other devices at a keynote event that could take place as soon as September.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    My Series 4 is getting nervous...
    right_said_fredJFC_PAhcrefugee
  • Reply 2 of 17
    My S1 "contracted" battery bloat in the past year, anxious to see this year's new lineup of models - my wrist has been empty far too long.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    My S1 "contracted" battery bloat in the past year, anxious to see this year's new lineup of models - my wrist has been empty far too long.
    When my S 1 did that they replaced it with a S2. A pleasant surprise though it was after I’d already just bought an S3. Granted that was a lot sooner from its release than it would be now. Had you brought it in for service? Couldn’t hurt. 
    edited September 2021 pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 17
    That 25% more pixels than the original iPhone!!!

• Reply 5 of 17
    Used to be in the iPhone upgrade program. Now I keep my phone for at least two years but I upgrade the watch every year it is my favorite device.
    caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 17
    10 years from now Apple Watch will have more resolution than a CRT monitor.
    williamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Who cares. It’s on your wrist. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Anyone own the SE version?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    For me, screen size/resolution won't be the deciding factor.  The exceedingly unlikely inclusion of glucose and/or blood pressure monitoring would likely spur me to get one. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other features that would tempt me to upgrade my 6 and my wife's 5.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Used to be in the iPhone upgrade program. Now I keep my phone for at least two years but I upgrade the watch every year it is my favorite device.
    I upgrade my iPhone and Watch every year, pass the previous version to my son (while still under AppleCare!) and trade his 2 year old iPhone and Watch to offset the costs.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I bought an SE for my daughter last year. She loves it and it's perfect, if you don't want or need the extra features.
    twokatmewwilliamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 12 of 17
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    Me! 
    williamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    We actually want more sensors to play with, not more pixels. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    dk49 said:
    We actually want more sensors to play with, not more pixels. 
    No need to make a choice. We want it all! Louder speakers, better microphones, camera, biosensors, better displays, data capable connector. Better software too. Make it an iCloud client (enter Apple ID) so it doesn't need an iPhone. Data can be synced through iCloud. Give developers more entitlements. I'd like to play podcasts and music out of the speaker.

A data capable connecter for bands would be really cool. I think they really tried, but they couldn't make the connection (compression pins like the Smart Connector) reliable and would have given up water resistance. Hope they keep on working it. A thin-film solar PV band would be interesting.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    omasou said:
    I bought an SE for my daughter last year. She loves it and it's perfect, if you don't want or need the extra features.
    I was at my local hospital today for a procedure and 3 of my nurses had Apple Watches on. I asked one of them if she thought the health sensors were necessary and she said “Not really, just more stuff for you to obsess over.” Another nurse said her watch has the health sensors and she’s never used the ECG function. So now I’m thinking the SE with LTE would be the way to go. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I wonder if any of the new faces will be good, for a change.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I wonder if any of the new faces will be good, for a change.
    The Mickey Mouse one isn’t fun?
    williamlondon