Rumored Apple-linked firm buys Arizona vehicle testing site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2021
Amid "Apple Car" rumors, an automotive testing site in Arizona reportedly used by Apple has been purchased by the mysterious firm who has leased the site for years.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

The 5,458-acre site is located near Phoenix, Arizona and was formerly used by Chrysler as a vehicle proving ground. Delaware-based company Route 14 Investment Partners LLC has purchased the site for $125 million in cash, AZ Big Media reported Friday.

Route 14 is an entity managed by the law office of Greenberg Traurig, hiding its true ownership, though some believe that the company is connected to Apple.

Back in November 2017, it was reported that Route 14 leased the Arizona testing site in 2015. The company itself was incorporated in 2015 in Delaware and was registered under the Corporation Trust Company. As media reports indicated at the time, Apple has a mail dropbox at the CTC office.

On Friday, MacRumors reported that it had seen a deed and an assumption of an existing development agreement confirming that the purchase date was June 25, 2021.

Although no direct link has been confirmed between Route 14 and Apple, news of the test site's purchase comes amid a slew of rumors surrounding Apple's self-driving car project.

Back in August, reports suggested that Apple had made contact with multiple electric vehicle component manufacturers. More recently, a report on Thursday indicated that Apple executives might be visiting car manufacturers in Korea and Japan. On Friday, news broke that Apple had apparently hired two ex-Mercedes engineers to serve on a special projects team.

In addition to the supply chain reports, Apple also tests self-driving vehicles on public roads in California. Recently, the Cupertino tech giant expanded its fleet of autonomous test vehicles, suggesting a ramp-up in development.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Someone should fly a drone over this place to see what's happening there lol. 
    byronl
  • Reply 2 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Back in November 2017, Route 14 leased the Arizona testing site in 2015. 

What is this supposed to mean?
    mobirdwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    chadbag said:

It means this article is poorly written.

What it is probably supposed to say is that in November 2017 it was discovered that Route 14 leased the site in 2015.

Note that sloppy writing on the Internet is sadly commonplace.
    edited September 2021 chadbagwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 17
    chadbag said:

What?! Isn’t it perfectly clear? /s

My guess is it’s supposed to be, “Back in November 2017, [somebody reported] Route 14 leased the Arizona testing site in 2015.”
    chadbagwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If Tesla can do it then so can Apple. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I’m not sure anyone out there can do what Tesla has already done.  They have a clear technological lead over every other competitor.  As Tesla technology continues to advance rapidly, it’s going to be a challenge to leapfrog them.

Having said that, Tesla is not without its flaws.  The materials and paint finish on its vehicles is underwhelming in some cases.  Sometimes the fit and finish is underwhelming.  Depends on the day the vehicle was manufactured.  While greatly improved from earlier days, they still have more “production hell” to go through.  Tesla interior design, while clean, is a bit staid.  Apple has the potential to do a much better job on the physical product with UI, UX, and human factors.  The downside here is that those attributes will be easy for competitors to copy and improve.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 17
    By the way, where’s the fugly car pic?  I almost miss it (no, no, no, just kidding.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    I’m not sure anyone out there can do what Tesla has already done.  They have a clear technological lead over every other competitor.  As Tesla technology continues to advance rapidly, it’s going to be a challenge to leapfrog them.

Having said that, Tesla is not without its flaws.  The materials and paint finish on its vehicles is underwhelming in some cases.  Sometimes the fit and finish is underwhelming.  Depends on the day the vehicle was manufactured.  While greatly improved from earlier days, they still have more “production hell” to go through.  Tesla interior design, while clean, is a bit staid.  Apple has the potential to do a much better job on the physical product with UI, UX, and human factors.  The downside here is that those attributes will be easy for competitors to copy and improve.
    Nonsense. Tesla has done nothing that gives them an unsurpassable lead in technology.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Can you expound on that a little? What technological lead does Tesla have?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Idiots killing themselves in a spectacular fashion. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    If you doubt, watch Battery Day and AI Day.  See the videos discussing the giant die cast machines, which include discussions on thermal expansion and tolerances.  And let’s not forget Plaid.  Plenty of videos covering that.  Watch.  Then we’ll talk.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:

The Tesla UI is a matter of love it or hate it. For RDH vehicles, the back button is on the opposite side of the screen to the driver. That in itself is a danger. 
    If you love fiddling with everything then the Tesla UI is perfect for you. If you just want to get in and drive then it isn't.

I wonder when Tesla will implement the ability to turn on the system, select drive, and take off without waiting for the system to 'start up'?
    I can do that in my EV.

Tesla might be ahead in some things but there are areas where they are 10 years behind the competition.
    Where is the HUD for a Tesla? I've had one on my EV for almost 3 years.

I watched the Tesla luvvies drool over the Model Y at Fully Charged yesterday. It was embarrassing. We are so lucky here in Europe to have lots and lots of choices in what EV we drive. Tesla is not the only game in town here. Unless they come out with a car for under £30,000 OTR then they will lose market share to the established vehicle makers. The cheapest Model 3 is much too expensive for average folk.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Can you imagine how absurd that would sound if said during the age of ICE autos? “Not sure anybody can do what Ford is doing!” Now look at the industry — dozens of company’s are doing what Ford was doing. Ford isn’t even considered a leader.

As for Tesla, they have the same technology as the other EV makers — lithium batteries, and software. While fetishized in the US, Tesla isn’t the top EV brand in Europe.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Can you imagine how absurd that would sound if said during the age of ICE autos? “Not sure anybody can do what Ford is doing!” Now look at the industry — dozens of company’s are doing what Ford was doing. Ford isn’t even considered a leader.

As for Tesla, they have the same technology as the other EV makers — lithium batteries, and software. While fetishized in the US, Tesla isn’t the top EV brand in Europe.
    Not sure your analogy between Ford and Tesla is particularly good.  Ford’s claim to fame was mass production of existing technology whereas Tesla is paving the way with advancement of technology.  Yea, eventually every company will fall from grace.  Apple itself will see troubles at some point in the, hopefully, distant future.

The technology gap between Tesla and its rivals is significant.  It should not be underestimated.  I can’t see competitors catching up soon.  Elon Musk is on a tear right now.  He’s not normal.  I mean, I don’t believe in space aliens, but …. Elon Musk is a damn space alien! 👽 😆
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:

how do you thing apple can make a better ui, ux etc? i’m not saying that they can’t but can you be a little more specific on what that would look like? tesla already has a great user experience
  • Reply 16 of 17
    d_2 said:
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:

Nonsense. Tesla has done nothing that gives them an unsurpassable lead in technology.
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Idiots killing themselves in a spectacular fashion. 
    tesla has the best (and cheapest and most mass-producable) batteries in the world. they also have the best self driving technology in the world. in contrast to most other companies they use cameras only and ai computer vision for everything. they have the luxury to do that because since 2016 all of their cars have been collecting real world data from streets to train their AI. if you wanna learn more about tesla’s self driving technology watch their AI day. it’s really impressive. the most impressive tech demo since 2017 in my humble opinion. 
    they also gave the safest cars in the world. a tesla (i think it was the model x i could be wrong this) was the first to receive a 5-star safety rating. 
    they also have a manufacturing advantage. check out their giga presses. they can use one part for something another manufacturer needs 250. their manufacturing is more efficient. (and before you talk about quality control, their Shanghai factory has excellent quality control. their new berlin and texas factories will have the same great qc)
     they have a software advantage. no other automaker makes software as good as tesla. their suffrage is on the level of apple and google. 
    the specs of their cars are generally better than same priced ones from other carmakers
     they make an insane 25% profit on their 40-60k cars. most ICE cars have a profit margins of less than 5%. most car makers make NO profit on their electric offerings today
    i could go on and on
  • Reply 17 of 17
    JWSC said:
    jd_in_sb said:

tesla might not be the top ev brand in europe but they are the top one in the world. volkswagen sells more electric cars in europe but they aren’t making a profit on them and since the Model Y launched in europe tesla has been selling more electric cars than volkswagen. there’s a high chance they will surpass them again