Drake takes Apple Music record from Kanye for most-streamed album launch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Drake's latest album, "Certified Lover Boy" has broken multiple records on Apple Music within the first 24 hours of being available to listen.

The sixth album from the Canadian rap artist and singer went live on Apple Music on September 3, and was quick to make an impact with listeners. Not long after becoming available for listening, the album "Certified Lover Boy" became a record-setter for the year, in multiple ways.

Drake broke the record for most-streamed album in 2021 in under 12 hours, Apple told Billboard on Friday, though a final count for the 24 hours has yet to be confirmed. The album takes the record briefly held by Kanye West, with his much-delayed "Donda" managing 60 million streams in the first 24 hours after launch.

The album launch has also given Drake the title of the most-streamed artist in a day in 2021 on Apple Music. Furthermore, it resides at the top position of Apple Music's Top Albums chart in 145 countries.

Songs from the album similarly topped the Daily Top 100 charts in 51 countries, as well as sweeping the top 21 spots in 18 countries, Apple Music further explained in a later update.

Three of the songs are the biggest debuts for a track on Apple Music, consisting of "Girls Want Girls (feat. Lil Baby," "Champagne Poetry," and "Fair Trade (feat. Travis Scott)."

Drake's records aren't just limited to Apple Music, as it has also managed to become the most-streamed album in a single day on Spotify.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Kanye was knocked down. That’s what’s important. 
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    After all that publicity and postering by Kanye Drake drops a surprise album days later and cuts Kanye’s celebration with a quickness. Wow 
    edited September 2021 elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    My biggest beef with Apple Music is how much the site pushes music by contemporary, popular artists that I have ZERO INTEREST in listening to. Anything that Zane Lowe and his cohort are promoting is nearly by definition something I don’t want to hear. Sorry if this offends anyone, but anything by Kanye also exemplifies what I never listen to (and Drake for that matter).  AM pretty much ignores my musical preferences and playlists, and promotes mass market “pop du jour” even though I never, ever click on that stuff. Spotify more closely aligns its browsing page with my tastes and favorites. I’d give anything if AM’s algorithms would do the same, it would be a way more enjoyable user experience. 
    edited September 2021 mobirdnapoleon_phoneapartelijahgJapheydjames4242peterhartjohn.buraharabyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    My biggest beef with Apple Music is how much the site pushes music by contemporary, popular artists that I have ZERO INTEREST in listening to. Anything that Zane Lowe and his cohort are promoting is nearly by definition something I don’t want to hear. Sorry if this offends anyone, but anything by Kanye also exemplifies what I never listen to (and Drake for that matter).  AM pretty much ignores my musical preferences and playlists, and promotes mass market “pop du jour” even though I never, ever click on that stuff. Spotify more closely aligns its browsing page with my tastes and favorites. I’d give anything if AM’s algorithms would do the same, it would be a way more enjoyable user experience. 
    I agree with everything you said except I use Roon. Never in any form have I used Spotify.
    montrosemacsbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I completely agree, and said almost the same thing on here yesterday. Garbage pop and corporate rap. It’s never ending. AM’s predictive algorithms either completely ignore me, or are completely inaccurate. I find the whole experience frustrating. 
    montrosemacsmobirdelijahguraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Japhey said: I completely agree, and said almost the same thing on here yesterday. Garbage pop and corporate rap. It’s never ending. AM’s predictive algorithms either completely ignore me, or are completely inaccurate. I find the whole experience frustrating. 
    In order to get better recommendations from Apple Music, you need to:

A. Use AM to listen to music regularly
    B. Select the 'Love' or  'Suggest Less Like This' actions for songs/albums regularly

Also, not everything you see in AM is based on an algorithm. There are standard promotions for new releases as well, and those are more likely to be centered around artists that have higher profiles in the industry. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Drake, our Savior!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Japhey said: I completely agree, and said almost the same thing on here yesterday. Garbage pop and corporate rap. It’s never ending. AM’s predictive algorithms either completely ignore me, or are completely inaccurate. I find the whole experience frustrating. 

B. Select the 'Love' or  'Suggest Less Like This' actions for songs/albums regularly

Also, not everything you see in AM is based on an algorithm. There are standard promotions for new releases as well, and those are more likely to be centered around artists that have higher profiles in the industry. 
    So you are saying that AM requires me to additionally select something (tap a button)  and it can’t already track what I am listening to?
    and are you saying that promotions are not ads? I don’t want to see ads and that’s why I am paying. But it is still fine to show/advertise promotions?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 9
    urahara said:

So you are saying that AM requires me to additionally select something (tap a button)  and it can’t already track what I am listening to?
    and are you saying that promotions are not ads? I don’t want to see ads and that’s why I am paying. But it is still fine to show/advertise promotions?
    The algorithm doesn’t prioritise listening, as you may not be actively listening and if a song came on you didn’t like - AM would presume you would as you didn’t skip it.
    Manually saying you love or don’t helps to improve recommendations better as it’s true and accurate feedback to AM.
    watto_cobra