Ford poaches executive leading the 'Apple Car' project

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    davgreg said:
    Ford does not need this guy , but a good experienced engineer is always welcome.

The Mustang Mach E and F-150 Lightning shows Ford is off to a good start with EVs.

Regarding a comment concerning VW, the UI on VW EVs is horrible. The UI is slow, laggy and not well designed. The I.D. 4 is a decent, but not great car and uses the same foundation as the ID.3. And yes Tesla quality and reliability are questionable - Tesla is trying to suppress data reporting on their cars quality and reliability.

I personally still think Apple would be better off developing a SW/HW package that could be sold to automakers rather than making cars outright. Anybody who has extensively shopped for a car knows that most touchscreen and capacitance interface stuff is awful. No touch anything will ever be as good as a hardware switch.
    Fully agree.  I Don’t really understand why Apple would want to build autos since it’s low margin business with an enormous amount of working capital. Apple’s expertise is in software and human to hardware interactions this is where they can have a significant impact on the auto market.  The established auto companies  need to team with Apple to get there software on their platforms. I believe Apples project Titan is in the end a software-hardware package to sell to the auto companies. I really can’t believe Apple wants to build and sell cars.  
    cars done have to be low margin. tesla has a huge margins of 25% on their cars
  • Reply 22 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    byronl said:
    davgreg said:
    Ford does not need this guy , but a good experienced engineer is always welcome.

The Mustang Mach E and F-150 Lightning shows Ford is off to a good start with EVs.

Regarding a comment concerning VW, the UI on VW EVs is horrible. The UI is slow, laggy and not well designed. The I.D. 4 is a decent, but not great car and uses the same foundation as the ID.3. And yes Tesla quality and reliability are questionable - Tesla is trying to suppress data reporting on their cars quality and reliability.

I personally still think Apple would be better off developing a SW/HW package that could be sold to automakers rather than making cars outright. Anybody who has extensively shopped for a car knows that most touchscreen and capacitance interface stuff is awful. No touch anything will ever be as good as a hardware switch.
    Fully agree.  I Don’t really understand why Apple would want to build autos since it’s low margin business with an enormous amount of working capital. Apple’s expertise is in software and human to hardware interactions this is where they can have a significant impact on the auto market.  The established auto companies  need to team with Apple to get there software on their platforms. I believe Apples project Titan is in the end a software-hardware package to sell to the auto companies. I really can’t believe Apple wants to build and sell cars.  
    cars done have to be low margin. tesla has a huge margins of 25% on their cars
    Agree.  PCs and phones are a low margin business too, if you only look at the low end.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,039member
    byronl said:
    what the fuck. why would a tesla and apple employee, go work for ford??? they’re not a leader in anything and far behind in ev’s. (and i believe there’s a high chance they’re gonna go bankrupt but that’s another discussion)
     they probably made him a FAT offer. 
    Ford, unlike Government Motors and whatever Crapler is calling them selves this week (Stallantis), did not need a bailout in 2008-9. They also have an established working relationship with Volkswagen for use of their EV platform in the European market and a Truck development program worldwide.

The F-150 Lightning shows that Ford is well positioned to maintain its lead in Pickup Trucks - and Ford is the well established leader in that market. The Tesla pickup is a joke. And unlike Tesla, Ford and VW know how to build at scale profitably. Tesla still relies heavily upon EV credits.