Amazon opens preorders for new Fire TV Stick 4K Max

Posted:
in General Discussion
The new Amazon Fire TV Stick features Wi-Fi 6 support, is compatible with most major streaming services including Apple TV+, and can be bundled with a number of other devices.

Amazon has just announced its newest streaming stick -- the Fire TV Stick 4K Max. Amazon states that it's 40% more powerful than the original Fire TV Stick 4K, boasts faster starts and more fluid navigation, and features support for Wi-Fi 6.

The Fire TV Stick allows users to watch their favorite shows from most major streaming services, including Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV+, Prime Video, Hulu, YouTube, Sling, Disney+, ESPN, and many more.

The Alexa voice remote allows users to search for content and launch streaming services and programs with their voice. Additionally, the remote allows you to turn on and control your TV's volume.

When connected to a compatible device, Dolby Atmos is available on select Netflix, Prime Video, and Disney+ titles.

For those who subscribe to Amazon Luna, Amazon's cloud gaming service, it features a 750Mhz GPU, allowing for fluid gameplay and fast-rendering graphics.

The Fire Stick 4K Max will be shipping out on October 7, but you can preorder it today for $54.99. Adding a two year protection plan will raise the price to $61.98.

You can also bundle it with Accessories Essentials for $87.97, which includes the Fire TV Stick 4K Max, a Made For Amazon Case for Alexa Voice Remote, and omission Cable USB Power Cable.

Accessories Bundle
Accessories Bundle

For those who like to game, you can bundle your Fire TV Stick 4K Max with a Luna Controller for $99.00, allowing you to play games from Amazon's cloud gaming service, Luna.

And if you need a router, Amazon will allow you to bundle your new Fire TV Stick with an Eero 6 mesh Router for $189. The router covers up to 3,000 square feet with Wi-Fi speeds up to 500Mbps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Apple needs to produce a better entry level option for their TV box hardware. I don't care how much better Apple TVs are to use than Rokus and Fire Sticks. The fact is that their hardware would be doing SO MUCH BETTER in its market if entry level pricing wasn't $150 for something that isn't even capable of 4K.
    mbenz1962williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    jgreg728 said:
    Apple needs to produce a better entry level option for their TV box hardware. I don't care how much better Apple TVs are to use than Rokus and Fire Sticks. The fact is that their hardware would be doing SO MUCH BETTER in its market if entry level pricing wasn't $150 for something that isn't even capable of 4K.

Please explain what Apple would gain from playing in this lower-priced segment of the market? Apple does not play the loss-leader game nor do they chase market share for its own sake. This device supports Apple TV+, so no loss to Apple there.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Perhaps the analogy is:  Amazon is producing an iMac for TV.

That should appeal to a segment of the population who don't want to get involved in cables and technology but simply want to plop it down and start doing what they want to do -- where the most technical piece is how to plug it into the electric outlet.

For myself:   I prefer Apple's approach where the monitor and the audio and video drivers are separated and each can not only reach their highest potential but be replaced as they fail if the user wants to upgrade their technology to current specs.

For myself:  I use an Apple TV driving a high end semi-modern Dolby Atmos home theater system and a 1980's CRT TV.  I'm keeping the 35 year old TV partly because it works and partly because I prefer its more natural & less posterized colors.  But, at some point I'll invest in a new flat screen TV without having to throw out other components.

But for now, I can upgrade the monitor, the speakers, the receiver and the AppleTV as needed and desired to give me the best possible video and sound at the lower possible cost.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mike1 said:
    jgreg728 said:

Please explain what Apple would gain from playing in this lower-priced segment of the market? Apple does not play the loss-leader game nor do they chase market share for its own sake. This device supports Apple TV+, so no loss to Apple there.
    Amazing how many people still don't get this about Apple.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 said:
    jgreg728 said:

Halo effect? Small usable device upselling the broader markets to the Apple TV 4K and the rest of the Apple ecosystem?

A large part of the Apple sell nowadays is ecosystem and seamless integration; so having a broad base of lower spec, small features devices that can upsell to higher spec, big features plays into that.
    tokyojimumuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jgreg728 said:
    They aren't pushing the Appletv HD as an entry level device. It's just gone down in price because it's been around since 2015. I thought that was pretty obvious considering the newest model of 4k 32gb is only $20.00 more at $179.00 and will work the same with or without a 4k display.

If it were $99.00 and the other 4k models were starting at $179.00 I would definitely call it entry level. Honestly I can see it going away completely sooner than later especially since the 4k model works just fine on a 1080p display as I mentioned.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    MAX?? Why not XL ?? Apple is already using max
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    ClRClR Posts: 1member
    I have a few AppleTV’s yada, yada, yada Apple is great yada, yada, yada. However, I initially purchased one of these and a googletv for some UX/UI research.

What stood after my research was the convenience of this piece of hardware. I take it on trips, plug-in to tv, log it into hotel wifi and boom all my content. I have tested it outside the country and after a download/install of my VPN it still worked. 

What Apple should or shouldn't make is up to Apple. My post is simply about a convenience this plays in my world and a use I didn't even think about until I stumbled in to it. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

That should appeal to a segment of the population who don't want to get involved in cables and technology but simply want to plop it down and start doing what they want to do -- where the most technical piece is how to plug it into the electric outlet.

For myself:   I prefer Apple's approach where the monitor and the audio and video drivers are separated and each can not only reach their highest potential but be replaced as they fail if the user wants to upgrade their technology to current specs.

For myself:  I use an Apple TV driving a high end semi-modern Dolby Atmos home theater system and a 1980's CRT TV.  I'm keeping the 35 year old TV partly because it works and partly because I prefer its more natural & less posterized colors.  But, at some point I'll invest in a new flat screen TV without having to throw out other components.

But for now, I can upgrade the monitor, the speakers, the receiver and the AppleTV as needed and desired to give me the best possible video and sound at the lower possible cost.
    I don’t really get your analogy, and you don’t need to explain it. I just popped in to say “holy shit!” about your 35 year old tv still working. I, personally, have bad luck with tv’s. The longest running one I’ve ever had was a Sony model that worked for 7 years back in the 90’s, with most of the others having around a 3 year life span. I’ve been so programmed to just accept this as normal, that I’ve already begun researching a replacement for my current 2 year old, piece of crap LG. Just another example of how “they just don’t make ‘em like they used to”, I guess. 
    IreneWwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I am not a fan of the Fire and Roku streaming sticks, at all. I get the reasons for their popularity, though. They are a cheap entry point to the streaming game, and they are portable enough to travel with. They are a device I never really had a desire for Apple to produce until I had to be away from my ATV for 2 weeks in June. Now, I understand why so many people keep calling for one…and it’s not just about hitting a lower price point. 

My mother has one of these Fire sticks, and every single time she tries to use it, she either has to re-login to Amazon. Or re-login to her apps. Or gets stuck on a hanging load screen. Every single time. And who has to be the one to walk her through it? Not my brother, the Amazon guy. Me, the Apple guy. So annoying for both of us. Poor lady, all she wants to do is watch her Britbox, lol. 
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Japhey said:

I don’t really get your analogy, and you don’t need to explain it. I just popped in to say “holy shit!” about your 35 year old tv still working. I, personally, have bad luck with tv’s. The longest running one I’ve ever had was a Sony model that worked for 7 years back in the 90’s, with most of the others having around a 3 year life span. I’ve been so programmed to just accept this as normal, that I’ve already begun researching a replacement for my current 2 year old, piece of crap LG. Just another example of how “they just don’t make ‘em like they used to”, I guess. 
    Wow, just 7 years is the longest running TV for you? I recently dumped a Thomson CRT TV in perfect working condition after 20.5 years (bought on Jan-01-2001). My parents are still using a Onida CRT TV which was bought almost 15+ years ago.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Japhey said:

Wow, just 7 years is the longest running TV for you? I recently dumped a Thomson CRT TV in perfect working condition after 20.5 years (bought on Jan-01-2001). My parents are still using a Onida CRT TV which was bought almost 15+ years ago.
    Given that TVs are increasingly trying to be smart, yet often shipping with half baked software, and hardware that barely cuts the mustard and doesn't allow much room for improvement, I think we're going to see ever more churn in TVs.

• Reply 13 of 20
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:

Given that TVs are increasingly trying to be smart, yet often shipping with half baked software, and hardware that barely cuts the mustard and doesn't allow much room for improvement, I think we're going to see ever more churn in TVs.

Agree with you on this. As TV display technologies keep improving (from CRT well over 2 decades to LCD to LED and latest technologies under development), more churn is inevitable.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Japhey said:
    I am not a fan of the Fire and Roku streaming sticks, at all. I get the reasons for their popularity, though. They are a cheap entry point to the streaming game, and they are portable enough to travel with. They are a device I never really had a desire for Apple to produce until I had to be away from my ATV for 2 weeks in June. Now, I understand why so many people keep calling for one…and it’s not just about hitting a lower price point. 

My mother has one of these Fire sticks, and every single time she tries to use it, she either has to re-login to Amazon. Or re-login to her apps. Or gets stuck on a hanging load screen. Every single time. And who has to be the one to walk her through it? Not my brother, the Amazon guy. Me, the Apple guy. So annoying for both of us. Poor lady, all she wants to do is watch her Britbox, lol. 

There's a solution for that.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:

Agree with you on this. As TV display technologies keep improving (from CRT well over 2 decades to LCD to LED and latest technologies under development), more churn is inevitable.

Personally I'm not sure that they are such an improvement over the CRTs.  They are bigger certainly -- and show more detail, but I prefer the more natural colors on my 35 year old GE rather than the posterized effect from the flat screens.

I liken it to the difference between vinyl and digital music (although Apple's loss-less over a high end Dolby Atmos system is amazing)
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 16 of 20
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:

Personally I'm not sure that they are such an improvement over the CRTs.  They are bigger certainly -- and show more detail, but I prefer the more natural colors on my 35 year old GE rather than the posterized effect from the flat screens.

I liken it to the difference between vinyl and digital music (although Apple's loss-less over a high end Dolby Atmos system is amazing)
    Well, I do see a huge improvement with LED displays (size obviously, but resolution and brightness as well), over CRTs. "To each his own" is the opt statement in this scenario.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:

Yes, but there are definitely differences between different manufacturers. A properly adjusted premium Sony TV (and some others) will not look "posterized" and is simply gorgeous. Unfortunately, the market leader is Samsung and their picture quality is generally awful... for those who care about such things as color accuracy, proper black levels etc.

Old-school CRT TVs picture tubes definitely gradually degrade with use over time. The TV you are watching now is no where near the set you bought in the 80s.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:

Yes, but there are definitely differences between different manufacturers. A properly adjusted premium Sony TV (and some others) will not look "posterized" and is simply gorgeous. Unfortunately, the market leader is Samsung and their picture quality is generally awful... for those who care about such things as color accuracy, proper black levels etc.

Old-school CRT TVs picture tubes definitely gradually degrade with use over time. The TV you are watching now is no where near the set you bought in the 80s.

This 35 year old GE seems pretty solid to me.  The picture is bright and the colors -- especially face tones -- are very natural.  But it doesn't have that "pop" like the flat screens -- and that's fine by me.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Japhey said:

Wow!  You have had some bad luck!  While they are not frequently used anymore, my 20 & 30 year old (Sony) CRT TVs still work just fine.  My mother ended up disposing of her early 70's Sony Trinitron when the colors became washed out and that was after 40 years!

George, are you looking to upgrade to a newer CRT?  I have a Sony KD-34XBR960 in the guest bedroom.  Bought it new 17 years ago and it still looks great!  16:9 wide screen and works fine with an AppleTV.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Japhey said:

There's a solution for that.
    Lol, I know. But it was a Christmas present from my brother and she feels bad if she replaces it. Moms. 
    GeorgeBMac