Apple fires employee who spoke out on workplace issues, cites alleged leak

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    maestro64 said:
    This whole episode is a reflection on modern day America.
    Employees who think they should (and can) decide what the work place should be.
    It's the same as employees and citizens saying:  "Nobody can tell me what to do or not do -- especially not my government".

It is a breakdown of society masquerading as freedom and independence.   The society that made America Great.

At one point, employees who didn't like their working conditions enough to obstruct the company were gunned down.  And, if that didn't work then state and federal militias were brought in to restore "peace and stability".

That was one extreme.  It seems that we are now bouncing off the the other wall.
    Actually, it the same group of people who think they have right to tell companies how to run their business are the same people tell people what they can and can not say and demanding the government to tell everyone what they can and can not do.

The people who are saying you can not tell me what to do, is not in the above group. 

As person who has work for a number of small to large high tech companies through my career and managed a department and see my fair share of people challenges. Also i watch companies go trough the good and bad times and watch how people respond to those changes. I can say at no time does an employee has any right to tell a company how to run its business. The only reason companies today are caving to these issues is the fact we have labor shortage lots of companies are fighting over the same group of workers and companies know it cost lots to replace someone. If companies need to act like they care about what employees think to keep the majority of them, the companies plays along. 

Also you mention a time in our country when employee/company violence broke out, and this specifically happen in Pittsburgh where I grew up, I know the history well, my grandfather worked in those mills. This was different time when Companies owned everything even many of the homes the worker lived in and at the time in Pittsburgh the only industries was Steel related and Coal and there was only a couple companies who owned it all. Worker did not have choose, and they could not easily move to some where else and there was a constant influx of new labor from overseas. Today people have choose if you do not like one company go to another. However, in high tech many people are over paid for what the do and when they try to change because they do not like where they now work the find out they have take pay cut and they do not like that or they just go to another company with high expectation for the pay you are getting.
    They are simply two groups of spoiled brats thinking that they are too entitled to have to obey rules.
    Mirror images of each other.  But basically the same childish, spoiled brats screwing things up.

As for Pittsburgh:  it was far more than just coal and steel:   Westinghouse AirBrake, Westinghouse Electric, and (eventually) nuclear, ALCOA, PPG, Armstrong cork & tile, Mellon, Gulf Oil, Union Switch & Signal and others.   And it had multiple steel and coal companies such as:  Carnegie/USS, National, J&L, Weirton Pittsburgh, Allegheny Ludlum, as well as peripheral service companies such as Mesta Machine.    At one point Pittsburgh had more corporate headquarters than any city in the country -- including New York.

Andrew Mellon was the J.P. Morgan of Pittsburgh and orchestrated much of Pittsburgh's many industries.   For instance, he was the one who bought the Texas legislature and started Gulf Oil.

• Reply 42 of 56
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    igorsky said:
    DAalseth said:
    I like Apple’s products.
    But I’m liking Apple less and less. 
    Oh no, I'm going to dump all my shares now.
    What a strange reply. What possible difference would make for your portfolio if some random guy on the Internet is growing dissatisfied with Apple’s behaviour of late? 
    GeorgeBMacMplsPronn
  • Reply 43 of 56
    So now they have even less control over what see does.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    She finally got the boot! 🥳

Apple may get a mega size defamation  lawsuit.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    One has to be smart about these things - if having a genuine complaint approach the police or legal representation as relevant: blog posts are nothing more than PR. Also attempts to paint your employer a particular way with cherry-picking is never going to go well (this is often libel.) 
    PR IS the key! An employee doesn’t win against Apple (or any huge employer) with just Lawyers or formal complaints. Do you know how many lawyers Apple have on their payroll? Now if you do your formal official complaints and also builds a good PR case it may work even better because nowadays Apple is so big that if something gets to the right temperature they will backpedal out of fear how the PR will affect them.

More recently the CSAM tool on iPhone…

Before that firing that Ex-Facebook employee over an outcry about his book.

• Reply 46 of 56
    welshdog said:
    s.metcalf said:
    What she describes sounds (unfortunately) typical of most corporates and is very believable.  I can imagine working for an employer that has such a comprehensive—even overwhelming—employee monitoring capability, and an internal crack squadron of “ threat officers” (the so-called Apple Police) would be stressful, even without employer problems.  You’d want to consider that when negotiating a salary with Apple, that’s for sure.

Not convinced airing your grievances on Twitter is the right approach, however.
    I worked for Apple a total of 5 weeks as an iOS At Home Advisor (phone tech support). Four weeks of that was training which was great. The actual work was too stressful and I had to quit. One factor was the shocking amount of monitoring they did on me while I worked. One time after a call, I was doing the cleanup (notes etc.) and I heard a voice calling my name. A window opened on my iMac and my manager appeared wanting to know why I was taking so long. I was not used to that sort of oversight. Every employer I had ever had in my life gave me the responsibility to get the work done without someone standing over me. There were a lot of rules including shutting off the iMac  when done working and not using it for anything until the next shift. Even if it was related to my work, like checking my schedule for example, was not allowed. Plus then there was this whole complex system of demerits you got for being late, or going to a doctor's appointment or anything else related to life in general. None of this is unique to Apple of course, but it is alien to me. At age 64 and retired, I do feel very sorry for people stuck in this sort or corporate gulag. I could not do it and won't even entertain the thought of working for a large corporation ever again.
    I had an acquaintance that did 6 years at Apple and 7 years at Google. Very different lives. Apple was a pressure cooker. Stress level was always 150% but after 18-24 months a product was released and people basically loved it. You were on call 24/7. Head to China/Taiwan/EU at a moments notice.  This person worked on the original Visual Voice Mail of the iPhone. For you young ones, this was truly  revolutionary.

Google (after Apple) was the reverse and he was convinced Google could lay off 95% of their engineering staff and not impact current or future earnings. Back in the day or 80/20, it was really 20/80.

he dreamed of finding a happy medium. 
    welshdog
  • Reply 47 of 56
    DAalseth said:
    I like Apple’s products.
    But I’m liking Apple less and less. 
    With this action, I am liking them more. 
    dewme
  • Reply 48 of 56
    swineone said:
    Maybe Apple is finally growing some cojones? I mean, if you hate the company so much, why not just quit? I guess some people hate working so much and try to make lottery tickets out of their employers.
    She has a history of “finding problems” and then becoming “an activist.” 

She could just do her job and then respond to corporate discipline when directed at her. Instead she wanted to go on a misinformation campaign to continue her desire to be fulfilled as an “activist.”

she’s also a law student who seems to think that her spoke employment is a school project to test her theories on. 

no one needs that person undermining their company. 

• Reply 49 of 56
    MplsP said:
    The comments seem to be divided between “Gjovik is an ungrateful, backstabbing incompetent bitch and Apple was right to fire her,” and “Apple needs to get a clue”

I don’t know which side is accurate, but there is no shortage of reports coming out about the work environment at Apple, so it would seem plausible that at least part of her story is accurate. 

For the people dismissing her claims, what are you basing this on, other than a general fondness of Apple? 
    Tribalism.
    crowley
  • Reply 50 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    The comments seem to be divided between “Gjovik is an ungrateful, backstabbing incompetent bitch and Apple was right to fire her,” and “Apple needs to get a clue”

I don’t know which side is accurate, but there is no shortage of reports coming out about the work environment at Apple, so it would seem plausible that at least part of her story is accurate. 

For the people dismissing her claims, what are you basing this on, other than a general fondness of Apple? 
    Tribalism.
    I'd put money on there being a significant dash of sexism too.  I doubt there are many female voices amongst those calling her a liar and a fraud.
    ronn
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Bosa said:
    Ashley has had quite a year of having to confront and mount vigorous claims  against not only Apple, but also numerous claims concerning her apartment complex, due to potential toxic chemical exposure. In March, she suffered numerous, undiagnosable health issues and sought relief from her developer, the Irving Company, the City of Santa Clara, Northrupt Grumman and more. I believe she stated she suffers from PTSD as a result. She is also currently a law school student so she’s well equipped to mount vigorous defenses. Too bad her employment relationship has deteriorated. Here’s an article for the SF Bay Vu Ashley wrote in March (which started it all):  (I hope members of Apple Too will do a GoFundMe to benefit her expenses):
      https://t.co/i68rOWV0Wb
    Of course she is the only person in the apartment to suffer those symptoms as well. Maybe whole city of Foster City should sue too because all landfill should be built in pristine land with no pollution.

law school? You mean the one Apple is paying for? She has no case and even I can win in court vs her. “Oh my boss complimented me” and I didn’t like that ! Lol are people just stupid and buying her 💩?

stop with the stupidity, this woman is an absolute psychopath and I will bet no company will hire her again 
    Apple refuses to work on customer’s iPhones, whether under warranty or not, if they detect that the device was used near tobacco products because they deem it a hazardous chemical even in the tiniest amount. So they have no room to criticize anyone who voices concerns about toxins in the workplace.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    dee_dee said:
    Ashley has had quite a year of having to confront and mount vigorous claims  against not only Apple, but also numerous claims concerning her apartment complex, due to potential toxic chemical exposure. In March, she suffered numerous, undiagnosable health issues and sought relief from her developer, the Irving Company, the City of Santa Clara, Northrupt Grumman and more. I believe she stated she suffers from PTSD as a result. She is also currently a law school student so she’s well equipped to mount vigorous defenses. Too bad her employment relationship has deteriorated. Here’s an article for the SF Bay Vu Ashley wrote in March (which started it all):  (I hope members of Apple Too will do a GoFundMe to benefit her expenses):
      https://t.co/i68rOWV0Wb
    That was all made up.  She is the only one in the apartment complex that has nosebleeds?  She has mental issues.  
    Not a knock, but she is obviously a little high on the body mass index. Should get her blood pressure checked. Could be behind the nosebleeds. And people get nosebleeds all the time with weather changes. 

When you get a job, you are paid to do that job. Not to create some personal project out of it. 

If there was legit something wrong, call the news, etc. don’t get yourself in trouble for defamation when your employer is simply treating you like an employee. 
    GeorgeBMacjajabento
  • Reply 53 of 56
    crowley said:
    MplsP said:

Tribalism.
    I'd put money on there being a significant dash of sexism too.  I doubt there are many female voices amongst those calling her a liar and a fraud.

That doesn't make it sexist. 
  • Reply 54 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    MplsP said:

Tribalism.

That doesn't make it sexist. 
    I didn't say it did.  The statements were related, but not dependent.
    ronn
  • Reply 55 of 56
    larrya said:
    Ashley is about to become very wealthy.
    Ashley is about to become a broke joke. Apple and Irvine Company should sue her to oblivion. Considering her character, I highly doubt a reputable lawyer would even come near her case. A retainer fee for what she’s going up against will most certainly make her go broke. And then if she loses, a judge can make her pay all of Apple’s and Irvine Company’s legal fees. How’s that for hubris. Lol