Apple Maps brings Look Around, improved navigation to Italy & Andorra

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2021
Apple Maps has rolled out Look Around nationwide in Italy, plus improved navigation, 3D buildings, and more including Siri natural language guidance.

Vatican City

Following a test of new maps in parts of Italy, Vatican City, and San Marino, Apple has now added Andorra, and also officially released the features to all Apple Maps users in these areas.

Apple Maps is the best way to explore and navigate the world, all while protecting your privacy, and we're excited to bring this experience to even more users with today's rollout," said Eddy Cue, Apple senior vice president of services. "We have rebuilt the map from the ground up, with better navigation, richer detail, more accurate information for places, and remarkable features that only Apple can deliver, including Look Around, Siri Natural Language Guidance, and more. Now it is easier than ever for users in Italy to find the places they love and get to where they're going even faster and easier."

Apple's Italy mapping data comes in part from a series of Apple Maps cars being driven around key areas in June and July, 2021.

Separately, Apple has now also announced that it is working on improving coverage of Canada.

"The Apple Maps team will be walking in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver from September through October 2021," said the company in a tweet, "wearing specialized backpacks with equipment to help us build the best digital map of Canada."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Nationwide coverage of Andorra is hardly an achievement.  Give a couple of cameras to some ramblers and I reckon they could get total photographic coverage of Andorra within a week.

Would be cool if they had some ski slopes mapped though.
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Apple Maps continues to lag Google in so many ways.
    I was out with my GF yesterday in a large State Park and the roads within the park were nowhere to be seen on Apple Maps but were present on Google.
    This is a large park near a large city that offers all kinds of outdoor activities and nothing other than the visitors center shows on their maps.

I am guessing that iPhone users like to cycle, hike, camp, fish, boat, ride horses and such.
    elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It is truly disappointing that still no bike routes are available on Apple Maps. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Look Around is absolutely gorgeous and even better than Google’s Street View, but damn this deployment is painfully slow. My city has two pro sports teams and hosts the Super Bowl, and we STILL don’t have it these years later. Come on!
    watto_cobra