Apple launches iPhone 13 with A15, smaller notch & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    dowhilest said:
    And what of the satellite calling function???

With the big antennas on traditional satellite phones, I have no idea how that rumor gained traction. You can't beat physics. 

It's just what there is from every other single iPhone update ever - faster, better screen, and a nicer camera.

Stick to those predictions and you'll win verbatim. 
    https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/no-the-iphone-13-does-not-have-satellite
    williamlondongatorguyfastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 59
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    blah64 said:
    elijahg said:
    Seems pretty cool, especially cinematic mode, macro and extra battery life. However, IMO the wide angle lens has very little utility vs telephoto. I can't remember the last time I wanted a wider angle view but I regularly zoom in. You can usually step back, but you frequently can't get nearer to something. Anecdotally I regularly see people zooming in, and they just step back if they can't fit everything in the frame.
    You can't just step back to get wider scenery shots (pano is cool, but definitely not the same), and it sounds like you've never taken group photos indoors, like at home.  It's kind of strange that you say this, because I've personally witnessed the struggle to squeeze people together literally hundreds of times over the years.  I suspect most people have experienced this.  The wide angle lens also allows you to get more spur of the moment shots where you don't have time to compose and get people to pose, it's just situational.  You can crop later, but you can't add viewing angle later.

Telephoto obviously has great utility as well, but the farther you zoom the more you need to worry about things like stability and light with a tiny camera.  The wide angle just simply works, and also adds great utility.
    I find pano completely adequate for scenery shots, wide angle just means any detail in the scenery is wiped out especially if you crop. You don't lose detail with pano (therefore you can crop without noticeably losing resolution) as the resulting image is many more pixels than one shot from a wide angle lens.

I have taken plenty of group photos indoors, but probably 1000:1 vs using the zoom, which I use on probably every other photo. Usually fitting everyone in is a problem with selfies (which uses the front camera obviously, which is now 120° on some devices, not sure which) as your arm has a fixed maximum length, rather than the rear cameras. You can rearrange people in group shots to be in two rows, you can't tell a distant object to come closer.

Samsung has managed 100x zoom in a phone with no stability issues (and it's disappointingly impressive), so that doesn't seem to be a problem. iPhones have OIS anyway to combat shake.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    crowley said:
    I feel like it's a little telling that they're saying 50% faster than rivals chips.  Only a couple years ago they wouldn't even mention rivals, they'd only be comparing Apple chips to the previous Apple chips.
    This was a post I just by a semiconductor analyst.  Make of it what you will

This is the article he's linking to:  https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/apple-cpu-gains-grind-to-a-halt-and
    If this is true, it would almost certainly affect the Mx too. Could be the reason we're yet to see an Apple Silicon 27" iMac or 15" MBP. However, I wouldn't quite use the doom and gloom wording the analyst did, "i.e. the future looks dim", since one missed speed bump in a line of 20 bumps isn't really much of a hiccup, and certainly no reliable indication of the future.

Considering the reports coming out of Apple that it's becoming a less attractive place to work, they really need to change tack if current policies are resulting in the loss of their best engineers.  Apple has some incredibly talented people, and HR should be bending over backwards to keep them - especially now Apple's 100% self reliant on their own engineers to keep the Apple Silicon ahead of x86 and other ARM vendors. The analyst claims "Apple’s Chief CPU Architect, Gerard Williams, as well as over a 100 other Apple engineers left to join Nuvia". If this is true, Cook needs to stop being so stubborn with crappy employee policies, like WFH, health benefits etc - it's very much a worker's market right now especially in engineering, and there are a lot of companies offering a lot of very generous perks.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 24 of 59
    elijahg said:
    Seems pretty cool, especially cinematic mode, macro and extra battery life. However, IMO the wide angle lens has very little utility vs telephoto. I can't remember the last time I wanted a wider angle view but I regularly zoom in. You can usually step back, but you frequently can't get nearer to something. Anecdotally I regularly see people zooming in, and they just step back if they can't fit everything in the frame.
    Landscape photography does not benefit from a step back. Indoor photography where you literally are backed up against a wall. Shooting from a seated position, either stationary or in a moving object. Paragliding. Fishing. Sports. Just shooting a group of people indoors with limited space or time to move. There are a ton of examples aside from shooting something relatively close to you that you can step back from.
    williamlondonWgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    I think that was the most boring presentation and line up update ever made by apple. No innovations, the same scenario for every single product. I had a feeling I am watching the last year event. 

No always on display, no design change for apple watch. They didn't even activate the dual charging mode for wireless charging. 

Disappointing....
    williamlondonmattbookair
  • Reply 26 of 59
    prosk said:
    I think that was the most boring presentation and line up update ever made by apple. No innovations, the same scenario for every single product. I had a feeling I am watching the last year event. 

No always on display, no design change for apple watch. They didn't even activate the dual charging mode for wireless charging. 

Disappointing....
    The Apple Watch did get a new design.  Just not the one that the rumor mill hung their hat on.
    fastasleepthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    elijahg said:
    Landscape photography does not benefit from a step back. Indoor photography where you literally are backed up against a wall. Shooting from a seated position, either stationary or in a moving object. Paragliding. Fishing. Sports. Just shooting a group of people indoors with limited space or time to move. There are a ton of examples aside from shooting something relatively close to you that you can step back from.
    A lot of those examples seem to be quite specific use cases, (why would you need a wider angle when paragliding I might ask - or fishing for that matter) whereas zoom is universally used regularly from my observation and own experience. People raved about the optical zoom on the X, I didn't hear anyone raving about the wide-angle on the 11.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    prosk said:

Disappointing....
    The Apple Watch did get a new design.  Just not the one that the rumor mill hung their hat on.
    we made the screen bigger.... innovation of the year. lol it looked like they just couldn't make the new version by fall '21
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 59
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    The announcement was not as interesting as last year. Just evolutionary updates. I am glad about Apple Watch - bigger display, keyboard, and shorter charging time is much welcome.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 59
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    I feel like it's a little telling that they're saying 50% faster than rivals chips.  Only a couple years ago they wouldn't even mention rivals, they'd only be comparing Apple chips to the previous Apple chips.

This is the article he's linking to:  https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/apple-cpu-gains-grind-to-a-halt-and
    If this is true, it would almost certainly affect the Mx too. Could be the reason we're yet to see an Apple Silicon 27" iMac or 15" MBP. However, I wouldn't quite use the doom and gloom wording the analyst did, "i.e. the future looks dim", since one missed speed bump in a line of 20 bumps isn't really much of a hiccup, and certainly no reliable indication of the future.

Considering the reports coming out of Apple that it's becoming a less attractive place to work, they really need to change tack if current policies are resulting in the loss of their best engineers.  Apple has some incredibly talented people, and HR should be bending over backwards to keep them - especially now Apple's 100% self reliant on their own engineers to keep the Apple Silicon ahead of x86 and other ARM vendors. The analyst claims "Apple’s Chief CPU Architect, Gerard Williams, as well as over a 100 other Apple engineers left to join Nuvia". If this is true, Cook needs to stop being so stubborn with crappy employee policies, like WFH, health benefits etc - it's very much a worker's market right now especially in engineering, and there are a lot of companies offering a lot of very generous perks.
    Gerard Williams and a number of senior Google and Apple processor architects did leave to form NUVIA.

NUVIA was then bought by Qualcomm to implement their high performance Phoenix cores in their SoCs. They are set to debut first in their laptop SoCs in 2022.

NUVIA's performance claims:

If this core is as described (which seems quite credible given the history of work done for Apple, the industry partners that initially invested in NUVIA and the $1.4 billion purchase by Qualcomm), they will likely be an industry leader at launch.
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dowhilest said:

With the big antennas on traditional satellite phones, I have no idea how that rumor gained traction. You can't beat physics. 

It's just what there is from every other single iPhone update ever - faster, better screen, and a nicer camera.

Great link, and very informative. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 32 of 59
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    crowley said:
    I feel like it's a little telling that they're saying 50% faster than rivals chips.  Only a couple years ago they wouldn't even mention rivals, they'd only be comparing Apple chips to the previous Ap ple chips.
    This was a post I just saw by a semiconductor analyst.  Make of it what you will

Andrei at Anandtech also brought attention to this as well (https://www.anandtech.com/show/16934/apple-announces-iphone-13-series):

Here, they’re claiming that the new A15 will be +50% better than the next-best competitor. The next-best competitor is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 – if we look up our benchmark result set, we can see that the A14 is +41% more performant than the Snapdragon 888 in SPECint2017 – for the A15 to grow that gap to 50% it really would only need to be roughly 6% faster than the A14, which is indeed not a very large upgrade. Apple also didn’t comment on any new ISA features such as Armv9/SVE2, so it seems that the CPU doesn’t feature it?

Back in early 2019, Apple had lost their lead architect (Gerard Williams III) and a portion of their CPU design team when several of the team went on to found and work at Nuvia, which was acquired earlier this year by Qualcomm. While I’m not certain, the time gap here certainly could match and the new CPU time to market, and be the first signs of that talent loss and team reshuffle. As a note, Apple went on to hire Arm’s lead architect Mike Filippo, likely working on a new CPU family.

elijahgfastasleepwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 59
    KITA said:
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:

Gerard Williams and a number of senior Google and Apple processor architects did leave to form NUVIA.

NUVIA was then bought by Qualcomm to implement their high performance Phoenix cores in their SoCs. They are set to debut first in their laptop SoCs in 2022.

If this core is as described (which seems quite credible given the history of work done for Apple, the industry partners that initially invested in NUVIA and the $1.4 billion purchase by Qualcomm), they will likely be an industry leader at launch.
    That is very impressive. Things are really gonna heat up for Apple if they have this kind of competition. Failing to hold on to Gerald Williams at any cost seems like quite a mistake.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    elijahg said:
    KITA said:
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:

That is very impressive. Things are really gonna heat up for Apple if they have this kind of competition. Failing to hold on to Gerald Williams at any cost seems like quite a mistake.
    He is definitely world class talent and one of the very best but as noted in a previous post Apple did hire ARM's lead architect Mike Filippo who is also highly regarded in the semiconductor industry so we'll see what happens a year from now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:

Ben Bajarin poured some cold water on that theory, and had a couple other interesting comments in the thread. 

williamlondontmaybestkeptsecret12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 59
    DougUTDougUT Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I was so excited for the new Series 7 and iPhone 13; I am completely underwhelmed.  I sold my Series 6 to upgrade and I should have just kept it. I have a 12 Mini and see absolutely no reason to get a 13.  I think the star of the show was the iPad Mini; I actually want one now. 
    canukstormwilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 59
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It’s a solid upgrade the 13 should have been called the 12S. 
  • Reply 38 of 59
    XedXed Posts: 2,570member
    Not one commenter has mentioned the smaller notch. Remember when countless people could only see the notch, not the additional screen space that came from removing the wasted chin and forehead?
    williamlondonwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 59
    prosk said:

Disappointing....
    Thanks for signing up just to post that. Does Google, Samsung or whoever pay with real money or some sort of “special” crypto currency?
    williamlondonroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 59
    gatorguy said:
    dowhilest said:

Great link, and very informative. 
    Ming Chi Kuo predicted the satellite communications thing just two weeks ago. This phone was already done and packed in shipping containers. He took a swing at a ball already in the catcher’s mitt. Yet, even the writer in the above link wrote at the same time two weeks ago that Kuo is “the best Apple supply chain analyst” while also saying that he’s wrong. 

Kuo will recycle and repackage this prediction for the next phone and the one after that and still be lauded as “accurate” if the feature ever actually turns up. Why? Because he’s hyped almost every time he’s mentioned. It’s fascinating. 
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra