iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max launch with ProMotion & Super Retina XDR display

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    JFC_PA said:
    davgreg said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Macro shots are awesome!

    As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    Next time break out a Leica - then the iPhone will never be the best phone.
    Lol. I am fond of paperweights but not for everyday walking around, adding that extra ten pounds or more just isn’t fun unless I’m deliberately on a photo op. Then, sure, dSLRs, lenses, mirrorless , more lenses: totally worth it. (Oh, and of course, a tripod). 
    Only because you mentioned it... I have three tripods including one somewhat expensive carbon fiber for hiking.
    Want to know how often I've used any of them? Once. I'm simply not that patient. 
    JWSCllamajony0
  • Reply 42 of 76
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

    For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

    But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

    iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

    I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.
    I am disappointed that Apple didn’t do TouchId under Display.   Obviously their execs have been sble to stay home and order everything via UberEats, etc., and didn’t have to re-enter their PassCode like regular people too often.

    Because of that I don’t know if I will get the iPhone 13 but I expect this to be a big seller just because of the smaller notch.

    proMotion is a nice enhancement,
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 43 of 76
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,551member
    All of Apple's current product lines (exception being the Apple Silicon Macs, it's going to be a fun ride there for a while)  are mature and are therefore in effect "boring". In many respects this is a good thing for the average consumer, it means that their shiny new device will last for years and they won't feel disappointed when a new model comes out a year later and makes their very expensive device feel obsolete and totally inferior.

    I had the original iPhone, followed by the 3G, followed by the 3GS, followed by the 4S, followed by the 6S Plus, followed by the XS Max. After the 3GS my upgrade cycle has got longer and longer due to a mix of lack of compelling updates and massively increased cost. I see no compelling reason to get rid of my iPhone XS Max this year, I'll either replace it in around 2 years or if it dies before then.
    edited September 2021 asdasd
  • Reply 44 of 76
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    davgreg said:
    I am in the Apple upgrade program for the iPhone and think I will be taking a pass. The cell phone is a pretty mature technology and I use my iPad Pro for mobile stuff. 11 payments in, I am not feeling the need for the phone unless it has significantly better 5G performance.

    Probably will order the new watch as my GF wants to upgrade from her Fitbit and already said she wants my Series 6 if I replace it.

    The iPad Mini upgrades were interesting. If it had Face ID I would order one right now - the finger sensors do not work well for me.

    I am looking forward to the next round of iPad Pros and the M2 series Macs.

    I am really surprised that a second generation HomePod was not announced- the HomePod mini is a nice device and worth the $99, a larger and more capable one seems like it should be in the works.


    I feel the same way. I’m in the AT&T program and I think I am 10 or 11 payments in. I don’t think I’m going to be upgrading. It’s a nice update, but nothing I really absolutely have to have.  I’ll look at my monthly payments and probably make a decision based on that. I may be able to upgrade for less than I’m paying now, which would be a no brainer.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 76
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    saarek said:
    All of Apple's current product lines are mature and are therefore in effect "boring". In many respects this is a good thing for the average consumer, it means that their shiny new device will last for years and they won't feel disappointed when a new model comes out a year later and makes their very expensive device feel obsolete and totally inferior.

    I had the original iPhone, followed by the 3G, followed by the 3GS, followed by the 4S, followed by the 6S Plus, followed by the XS Max. After the 3GS my upgrade cycle has got longer and longer due to a mix of lack of compelling updates and massively increased cost. I see no compelling reason to get rid of my iPhone XS Max this year, I'll either replace it in around 2 years or if it dies before then.
    I think the Facebook glasses or is it Instagram is the one interesting thing I have seen recently.  It may actually get some sales (beyond Snap Glasses) just because Luxotica is big.

    The two rumors for new Apple products have been AR glasses and Apple Car.   I think Titan is going nowhere because Apple won’t commit to doing its own Manufacturing.  And everything with AR from Apple seems gimmicky.   No killer or compelling App.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    I am happy the Pro Max doesn’t have a better camera as speculated and rumoured. I didn’t like the idea of having to get a bigger phone in order to get a better camera so to see the same camera module and both was the right decision. Didn’t make a lot of sense to me.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

    For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

    But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

    iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

    I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.
    Yeah, the guy up above heard what he wanted to hear, and didn't really consider anything about what it really meant.

    To address the Promotion issue: Android phones have had high refresh rates for years, but Promotion adjusts the frame rate to the content and current activities.

    If you're watching a 24 fps movie, the refresh rate is 24 fps. If you're staring at a static web page, the refresh rate is 10 fps. If you're actively scrolling or playing a high refresh rate game, it's 120 fps.

    So despite the refresh rate, Promotion does not charge ahead and whittle your battery down to a nub unless your activities call for it.

    Apple often does that with a lot of features: get it right or don't put it out.

    So no, maybe it's not the most exciting thing in the world. Is there any other phone that records 10 bit DolbyVision HDR? Focus racks using AI, or allows focus changes in post?

    Heck, is there an Android phone which does portrait mode by stereoscopically computing nine planes of depth and increases background blur according to distance realtime and in the viewfinder (screen) before the shot is taken?

    Last I looked, Android did a simple mask around the primary subject and applied a uniform blur to everything outside the mask in post. Maybe that's changed since then.
    tmayfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Yawn! I’ll keep my 12 pro max!
    Umm, have you seen trade-in values for your 12 Pro Max?  $790!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 76
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,549member
    The iPhone Pros are amazing feats of engineering and product design. They also define a new standard for functional overkill for 95% of smartphone buyers. That's not to say that it's a problem for Apple to have a product that is as close to "no compromise" (other than weight and size) as one could ever hope for. They can afford to build it, there is a active market for it, and they have plenty of other options in their portfolio. If the iPhone was pizza, the Pro Max would be Pantera's "The Hunk" pizza with its 5 1/2 pounds of toppings. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 76
    dewme said:
    The iPhone Pros are amazing feats of engineering and product design. They also define a new standard for functional overkill for 95% of smartphone buyers. That's not to say that it's a problem for Apple to have a product that is as close to "no compromise" (other than weight and size) as one could ever hope for. They can afford to build it, there is a active market for it, and they have plenty of other options in their portfolio. If the iPhone was pizza, the Pro Max would be Pantera's "The Hunk" pizza with its 5 1/2 pounds of toppings. 
    The pizza you describe as comparable to iphone pro max is simply disgusting. Please respect the feelings (and knowledge) of the italian people.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    I would upgrade to 13 ProMax because of camera and 1TB storage for ProRes. I shoot video and does video compositing. Also both 12 and 13 can convert 3D real life object to 3D model for 3D animation which Apple never mentioned it in their presentation. And I do 3D animation as well. iPhone is becoming the electronic Swiss knife that does everything.
    What applications are you using for conversion to a 3D model? I'm interested from the standpoint of 3D printed output (Formlabs 3). 
    To name a couple, Polycam and 3D Scanner App. LiDAR is the technology behind this on iPhone. If you search by LiDAR, you will see more options.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with dedicated LIDAR scanners for modeling, but haven't any knowledge of iPhone/iPad workflows.

    I'll be try those first two apps, if and when I upgrade to the iPhone 13.
    You don't need an iPhone 13, you can use the iPhone 12 Pro or the most recent iPad Pros, OR although it's much more difficult, you can mess with it using the front-facing Face ID system on the X and up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 76
    k2kw said:

    I am disappointed that Apple didn’t do TouchId under Display.   Obviously their execs have been sble to stay home and order everything via UberEats, etc., and didn’t have to re-enter their PassCode like regular people too often.
    All signs have pointed to that tech not being ready yet. It's not like they had the ability and chose not to.

    Because of that I don’t know if I will get the iPhone 13 but I expect this to be a big seller just because of the smaller notch.
    Why? Because there's now a little more room for the cell carrier's name? Yeah, huge selling point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,439member
    gatorguy said:
    JFC_PA said:
    davgreg said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Macro shots are awesome!

    As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    Next time break out a Leica - then the iPhone will never be the best phone.
    Lol. I am fond of paperweights but not for everyday walking around, adding that extra ten pounds or more just isn’t fun unless I’m deliberately on a photo op. Then, sure, dSLRs, lenses, mirrorless , more lenses: totally worth it. (Oh, and of course, a tripod). 
    Only because you mentioned it... I have three tripods including one somewhat expensive carbon fiber for hiking.
    Want to know how often I've used any of them? Once. I'm simply not that patient. 
    The most important tool for great photography; a pickup truck bed to carry your gear.

    I opted into a Kickstarter project for a motorized head;

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/benropolaris/polaris-smart-electric-tripod-head/posts/3301472

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 76
    While I'm very happy with my 12 Pro, this is a great next iteration. Cinematic Mode for video is mind-blowingly cool. I wonder if they'll bring the ability to change focus into FCP as well? That'd be incredible to make adjustments like that while editing, if that's possible. Not sure if you'd have to bake it in before export, or if there's some kind of way to transfer all that data to an Apple Silicon Mac.

    I'm about to drop about $5500 on a new mirrorless camera/glass for video work soon (if it ever comes back in stock), and these kinds of advancements in iPhone camera tech give me pause as the gap in abilities gets tighter and tighter. 

    Pro Motion is also a very welcome upgrade — having had it on the iPad Pro for a while now makes me miss it every time I'm trying to read scrolling text. It's SO much nicer with Pro Motion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,439member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    I would upgrade to 13 ProMax because of camera and 1TB storage for ProRes. I shoot video and does video compositing. Also both 12 and 13 can convert 3D real life object to 3D model for 3D animation which Apple never mentioned it in their presentation. And I do 3D animation as well. iPhone is becoming the electronic Swiss knife that does everything.
    What applications are you using for conversion to a 3D model? I'm interested from the standpoint of 3D printed output (Formlabs 3). 
    To name a couple, Polycam and 3D Scanner App. LiDAR is the technology behind this on iPhone. If you search by LiDAR, you will see more options.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with dedicated LIDAR scanners for modeling, but haven't any knowledge of iPhone/iPad workflows.

    I'll be try those first two apps, if and when I upgrade to the iPhone 13.
    You don't need an iPhone 13, you can use the iPhone 12 Pro or the most recent iPad Pros, OR although it's much more difficult, you can mess with it using the front-facing Face ID system on the X and up.
    I'm at an iPhone 7 Plus today. I passed on the 11 and 12, but the Camera improvements, Video features, and Pro Motion, on top of the LIDAR, are why I'm all set for my 5:00 AM Friday preorder of a Sierra Blue, iPhone Pro 13 Pro Max 512GB (1 TB if that is unavailable).
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

    For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

    But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

    iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

    I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.


    Heck, is there an Android phone which does portrait mode by stereoscopically computing nine planes of depth and increases background blur according to distance realtime and in the viewfinder (screen) before the shot is taken?

    Last I looked, Android did a simple mask around the primary subject and applied a uniform blur to everything outside the mask in post. Maybe that's changed since then.
    Look up how 2019 Pixel 4 Portrait Mode works. What you described hasn't been the state of Android portrait mode since 2017 with Pixel 2.

    EDIT: One of the earliest articles was from DPR Review, a professional camera resource, but this link is a bit more technical and from Google:
    https://ai.googleblog.com/2019/12/improvements-to-portrait-mode-on-google.html

    edited September 2021
  • Reply 57 of 76
    JFC_PA said:
    “ Pre-orders commence at 9 p.m. PDT on September 16, with availability starting September 14. ”

    Typo?

    or has FedEx finally deployed their long rumored Wormhole delivery? 

    From my favorite comedian…

    When I go, I'm flying Air Bizarre. It's a good airline. You buy a one way round trip ticket. You leave any Monday, and they bring you back the previous Friday... That way you still have the weekend.”

    - Stephen Wright 
    tmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 58 of 76
    The AppleInsider post states: “Pre-orders commence at 9 p.m. PDT on September 16”.  

    I was happy to see that because I did not have to get up early at 5am on September 17 to order the iPhone 13.  It made sense, 9pm PDT on September 16 is 12am EDT and September 17. 

    Later in the day, I started the pre-approval process after receiving an email from the Apple.  At the end the pre-approval process, I was told to come back at 5am on September 17 to complete the order. 

    I am confused. Now, AppleInsider has to confirm the correct iPhone 13 ordering start time. 

    Does anybody know the correct order start time?

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 76
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

    For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    In AI, the people commenting know the technical specifications and the differences in specs between various iPhones. So I don't think the criticism of iPhone 13 generation would be just from people owning iPhone 12 generation, but others as well who understand the differences between various models.

    But I agree with you that initial reactions may not mean much when it comes to actual sales over a period of time. People don't even need to walk back on the criticism. They can act as-if they never made those comments and still buy the latest generation when the need arises.

    iPhone 13 generation is also in a difficult position by circumstances, coming right after a super-cycle year with iPhone 12 generation. So sales could go down significantly when compared to iPhone 12 generation with many people preponing their purchase to iPhone 12 generation and skip this generation.
    Sales might be less than for the 12, due to the alleged "super cycle", but given that there are still something on the order of 760 million iPhones that haven't been upgraded to the iPhone 12, I'd still expect iPhone 13 sales to easily be "robust".

    I'm surprised that so few here are excited by the addition of Pro Motion.

    How did you miss the obvious?

    When Samsung (or whoever) has a feature like a 120Hz display it’s described as a game changer and Apples lack of it on the iPhone 12 was a dealbreaker.

    Now that the iPhone 13 has ProMotion it’s suddenly a “meh” feature. It’s the only way trolls can continue to bash Apple.
    tmayfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You’re correct! I’ll keep my 12 pro max. I guess if you are upgrading from a 4g to 5G phone it’s worth it.
    I would go as far as to say that 5G is still not worth it, at least here in Canada.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.