New USB-C Apple Watch charging cable now available

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2021
Although the Apple Watch Series 7 will not be available until later, Apple has already released its updated charging cable, a USB-C model that works with previous Watches.

The new Apple Watch Magnetic Fast Charger to USB-C cable is now on sale
The new Apple Watch Magnetic Fast Charger to USB-C cable is now on sale

During its announcement of the Apple Watch Series 7, Apple said that it would feature faster charging, and also utilize a new charging cable. The magnetic end that fits to the Watch remains the same, but the cable's connector at the other end is now USB-C, instead of USB-A.

"[Apple Watch Series 7' charges up to 33% faster than Series 6," said Lauren Braun, Apple Watch Product Manager, "with an updated charging architecture and new fast charging USB-C cable."

The full faster charging time will require the new Series 7, but the cable itself can be used with any previous Apple Watch. Consequently, although the Apple Watch Series 7 itself is yet to be added to the Apple Store, the new charging cable is already available.

Apple Watch Magnetic Fast Charger to USB-C Cable costs $29, and is only available in 1m length. The previous Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, the USB-A one, is so far still available, and also costs $29 for a 1m version.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Wait, how is this different from the USB-C one I already have? 
    uraharawatto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Same. I’ve used it for like two years. I literally have it with me right now.
    uraharahcrefugeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Faster charging per the store product details. So they modified the pucks electronics. 
    edited September 2021 Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I charge my Apple Watch next to my bed, when I'm asleep for 8 hours, so fast charging won't change my work-flow. (Life-flow?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I charge my Apple Watch next to my bed, when I'm asleep for 8 hours, so fast charging won't change my work-flow. (Life-flow?)
    Probably more attractive to those who like to sleep monitor and so have to charge during “awake” time. 

Fidonet127uraharasphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    AW7 comes with one, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    JFC_PA said:
    Faster charging per the store product details. So they modified the pucks electronics. 
    Faster only if your have an AW S7

Store Product Details:
    "Fast charging is only compatible with Apple Watch Series 7. Other models will have regular charge times."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The real breakthrough would have been if Apple freed the Watch from the need for its own dedicated charger, and made it compatible with generic Qi chargers (or AirPower [cough]), like the AirPods are.
    caladanian