AppleCare+ reduces service fee for iPhone back glass damage

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Apple on Tuesday updated its AppleCare+ service product by adding coverage for back glass damage, significantly lowering the price of some repairs for iPhone 12 and the just-announced iPhone 13.

iPhone 13

Noted in an addendum to the iPhone Repair and Service support page, the new AppleCare+ coverage option is technically an extension of an existing fee tier for screen-only damage.

Previously, damage to an iPhone's back glass constituted a $99 repair when the device was covered with an AppleCare+ plan. Screen-only repairs, however, were priced at $29 without other significant damage. With today's change, back glass-only repairs are included in the screen-only category and can be conducted by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for $29.

The new fee structure applies only to iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 devices.

As noted by MacRumors, which spotted the AppleCare+ change today, iPhones with damage to both the screen and back glass will incur a $58 charge as long as there is no other damage to the device.

While not confirmed, the reduction in pricing suggests Apple has developed a method of replacing the back glass on modern iPhone designs without significantly increasing labor or parts costs.

Apple's support document also outlines out-of-warranty repair prices for the new iPhone 13 lineup, revealing no change in fees from last year's iPhone 12 series. According to the fee schedule, repair fees are set at $599 for iPhone 13 Pro Max, $549 for iPhone 13 Pro, $449 for iPhone 13 and $399 for iPhone 13 mini.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    For the first time (going back to a 3G), I broke my screen! Had a case on in the gym but it landed on the foot of an exercise bike and shattered. $280 to repair via Apple authorized, and $480 from uBreakIfix (good luck with that dudes). Wish I had signed up for monthly AppleCare! 
    edited September 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 3
    FYI: For a cracked rear enclosure Apple’s repair strategy is to replace the rear enclosure, which is everything but the display and rear camera module for $29! It’s essentially a new phone 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 3
    AppleCare+ just keeps getting stronger and more valuable.

AppleCare+ on my AppleWatch 6 expires today -- so I will be renewing it on a month to month basis.   Right now that watch is meeting all my needs.  And, having AppleCare+ coverage insures that it will continue to function properly.  And, it is even more valuable on older equipment that tends to break down more than new equipment -- if nothing else, batteries need replacing.

I always take it out when I buy Apple products and, in almost every case, it has paid for itself.  But, in addition, I get peace of mind that I'm not going to have to buy a new gadget just because of some weird accident or problem.

Essentially, it means I don't have to buy a new gadget until one with enough new features makes it worth my while.  It really changes the equation.,