Apple Store app trying to get you the iPad you want with 'similar options' prompt

Posted:
in iPad
If an Apple item is backordered, or on preorder, the online Apple Store now prompts buyers with a list of "similar options" that can be delivered sooner.

The online Apple Store has added a new prompt to suggest alternatives when an item is delayed
The online Apple Store has added a new prompt to suggest alternatives when an item is delayed


With preorders beginning this week on items from the iPad mini 6 to the iPhone 13 Pro Max, Apple has added a feature to the online Apple Store in the US. Currently only showing on the iPad mini, and seemingly solely in the US, when delivery is delayed for any reason, a new option appears.

Listed on the order page under details for delivery or pickup, the Apple Store now shows a phrase such as "Need an iPad sooner?" and a link to "Explore similar options."

That link takes users to a page that lists the details of the current order, followed by these similar options "that are available sooner."

Choosing
Choosing "similar options" leads to a page with suggested alternatives


Initially listing five alternatives, each entry details the specifications, and both delivery, and pickup, dates. Plus a heading explains what the difference is, such as "Different capacity, connectivity."

Each entry defaults to the user's usual Store for pickup options, but adds the ability to check availability at other stores. These alternative items also have a Select button, and choosing it resets the user's buying choice to that.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    Very clever. 
    Does anyone know how to order an item for in-store pickup two weeks later?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Very glad to see this. When I've ordered something from the Apple Store almost always my first choice is really popular and has a long lead time. I end up trying a bunch of configurations, different colour being the big one, to find one that will ship sooner. This will save me a lot of hassle. 

    (FWIW I generally don't care about colour as I always put my devices in a case.)
    MplsP
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fred1 said:
    Very clever. 
    Does anyone know how to order an item for in-store pickup two weeks later?
    I called Apple Care on this very subject yesterday. If you have an item delivered to a store near you, they allow up to two weeks to pick it up. You do have to call the store though to schedule a pick up.
    fred1
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 3,897member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    fred1 said:
    Very clever. 
    Does anyone know how to order an item for in-store pickup two weeks later?
    I called Apple Care on this very subject yesterday. If you have an item delivered to a store near you, they allow up to two weeks to pick it up. You do have to call the store though to schedule a pick up.

    I think it depends on availability. I ordered the new iPad mini for in-store pickup and I was able to select a day and an available 15-min pickup time window on that day all as part of the ordering process. I selected 9/24 @ 10:00-10:15 am. Of course they will hold it for far longer if you miss your original pickup window, I think up to 14 days, but I'd double check with the store.
    edited September 16
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,359member
    DAalseth said:
    Very glad to see this. When I've ordered something from the Apple Store almost always my first choice is really popular and has a long lead time. I end up trying a bunch of configurations, different colour being the big one, to find one that will ship sooner. This will save me a lot of hassle. 

    (FWIW I generally don't care about colour as I always put my devices in a case.)
    Agreed - as long as they don’t suggest a Chromebook! :tongue: 
    DAalseth
  • Reply 6 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 1,776member
    MplsP said:
    DAalseth said:
    Very glad to see this. When I've ordered something from the Apple Store almost always my first choice is really popular and has a long lead time. I end up trying a bunch of configurations, different colour being the big one, to find one that will ship sooner. This will save me a lot of hassle. 

    (FWIW I generally don't care about colour as I always put my devices in a case.)
    Agreed - as long as they don’t suggest a Chromebook! :tongue: 
    Chromebooks are good for a lot of things though…
    Door stops
    Fishing weights
    Chew toys

    The list goes on and on.
    MplsP
Sign In or Register to comment.