GoPro Hero 10 action cam unveiled with 5.3K video, 23MP stills

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Thursday, GoPro took the wraps off its latest flagship camera, the GoPro Hero 10 Black, with standout features including 5.3K video capture at 60 FPS, a second-gen custom processor, and higher resolution still photos.

GoPro Hero 10 Black
The new GoPro Hero 10 Black

A year after the unveiling of the GoPro Hero 9 Black, the tenth iteration of the action company's action cam is official. The GoPro Hero 10 Black is the most powerful yet with several new upgrades.

"HER010 Black is one of the most impressive cameras in the world, regardless of price," said Nicholas Woodman, GoPro founder and CEO. "Congratulations to our product and engineering teams on creating such a worthy 10th edition of our beloved HERO camera."

GoPro Hero 10 Black
GoPro Hero 10 Black

Much of the new camera is driven by the new custom GP2 processor which is paired with the new 23.6-megapixel sensor. This new sensor can capture 5.3K footage at 60 frames per second, 4K footage at 120 frames per second, and 2.7K at 240 frames per second.

With that upgraded processor, GoPro Hero 10 Black has a much more responsive interface, improved low-light performance, and next-generation stabilization with HyperSmooth 4.0. HyperSmooth 4.0 can level the horizon in your shots now up to 45 degrees off-center, up from 27 degrees in the Hero 9

In photo mode, the GoPro Hero 10 Black can capture 23MP photos while 19.6MP stills can be pulled from 5K 4:3 video.

When plugged into power, the GoPro Hero 10 Black can automatically upload your content to the cloud, reducing the need to manually transfer footage. You do need a GoPro subscription for this feature, however.

GoPro Hero 10 Black
GoPro Hero 10 Black

Other new features of the GoPro Hero 10 Black include a higher refresh rate on the front-facing display, new local tone mapping (LTM) and 3D noise reduction (3DNR), new hydrophobic lens cover, far faster content transfers including wired for the first time, and more.

The all-new GoPro Hero 10 Black is available today for $499 though subscribers can pick it up for $399.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Can anyone's internet connection even handle that quality of video?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cpenzone said:
    I’d guess that it’s compressed enough that it’ll be fine for most connections. 
    rinosaur
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cpenzone said:
    You mean for streaming? A 100Mb connection would be enough with compression. 

Though for anything but large TVs the difference between 4 and 5k may not be worth the file size differences. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rinosaur said:
    cpenzone said:
    You mean for streaming? A 100Mb connection would be enough with compression. 

Though for anything but large TVs the difference between 4 and 5k may not be worth the file size differences. 

To me the better resolution is less about the end product being 5K but allowing to crop into a 4K timeline so you can have a great video and remove some of the edge distortion that inherently happens.  

Still not a fan of the butterfly mount, but I may upgrade this time.  

I do wish DJI would release the OMA2 before I commit, as they had a nice showing when it dropped.  
    rinosaur
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The girlfriend wanted a GoPro. We finally got the Hero 9 and it barely gets used. We find it too heavy, awkard, clunky, hard to use. The buttons don't have the best tactile feel, the UI is slow. At this point, we'd never purchase another GoPro until it was "feather-light with a better UI". I doubt the Hero 10 is that.
    edited September 2021 caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Don’t understand the form factor. For years it ja been this way and it doesn’t get better.