Apple's new leather iPhone 13 Pro cases - hands on and first impressions

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Apple's supremely soft leather cases have once again been updated for the latest batch of iPhones. Ahead of the iPhone 13 release, we go hands-on with all the new colors.

Apple's new leather cases
Apple's new leather cases

Size and fit

While Apple offers all colors of its leather case in variations for the iPhone 13 mini,iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 Pro Max, we'll be looking at the iPhone 13 Pro model.

We've stressed this already in our hands-on with Apple's silicone cases, but we'll repeat it again here. Unlike with iPhone 12, the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro cases are not interchangeable.

iPhone 13 Pro case on iPhone 13 dummy unit
iPhone 13 Pro case on iPhone 13 dummy unit

As the iPhone 13 Pro has a significantly larger camera module, iPhone 13 cases will not fit inside. While iPhone 13 Pro cases will fit on the iPhone 13, there will be notable empty space around the camera bump.

Design and new colors

Just as Apple didn't massively alter the design of its signature silicone case, the leather cases have remained unchanged as well. That doesn't stop them from being one of our favorites, however.

Apple's leather case
Apple's leather case

The experience of the leather case is above that of the silicone case, including the packaging. Whereas the silicone case is put inside a thin box with a sticker seal, the leather case has a thicker box without a sticker.

Instead, it has an all-paper locking mechanism that pops open and closed. It's a small detail, but Apple does differentiate between the quality levels.

The anodized metal buttons on Apple's leather case
The anodized metal buttons on Apple's leather case

The case itself has a rigid interior with very soft leather on the outside, and an Apple logo embossed into the center of the back. Along the sides, the buttons are anodized pieces of aluminum that are color-matched to the cases themselves.

The inside of Apple's leather case
The inside of Apple's leather case

On the inside is a gentle microfiber lining that will prevent any scratches to your phone. You can also see a circle on the inside, indicative of the case's support for MagSafe.

Dark Cherry case
Dark Cherry leather case

The new seasonal colors for iPhone 13 are Golden Brown, Dark Cherry, Sequoia Green, Midnight, and Wisteria.

Available now

Despite iPhone 13 not releasing until September 24, Apple's new leather cases -- and silicone cases -- are available to order now. You can find them on Amazon for $59.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I used to purchase Apple’s leather case but it was just too slippery for me so I switched to the silicone case.
    gregoriusmdewme
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I also like the Apple silicone for its grip level. I’ve also got a Vaja leather wallet case for when I want to carry stuff and/or protect the screen. 
    gregoriusmmobird
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I’ve been in love with Apple’s leather cases since the original SE.  I don’t have grip issues with them, but they slip in and out of my pocket with much greater ease than silicone cases.  Plus I like how their patina ages with use, over time.
    Graeme000gregoriusmmike1
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Leather is not good for Covid times. I alcohol my phone twice or 3 times a day, that leather would be destroyed. 
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    I really like Apple's leather cases, and have bought them for all my previous iPhones. However, this year I was disappointed by the color choices.  I wanted a blue case to go with my Sierra blue iPhone. Wisteria is more of a violet color than I want, so I reluctantly bought a Silicon Blue Jay case.
    freediverx
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bluefire1 said:
    I used to purchase Apple’s leather case but it was just too slippery for me so I switched to the silicone case.
    It gets much grippier over time. About 2-3 months into having it, I’ve found the feel of the leather cases to be just about perfect. Easy to slip in and out of pockets, but grippy in the hand. Not a fan of how the blue leather has ages over time with the iPhone 12, but hoping for better luck with my midnight leather case for my upcoming 13 Pro Max.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Leather is not good for Covid times. I alcohol my phone twice or 3 times a day, that leather would be destroyed. 
    Have we seriously not gotten past the fact that that’s not how Covid is spread?
    F_Kent_Dboltsfan17mike1buttesilverfreediverx
  • Reply 9 of 11
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member

You wear a mask in your vehicle while driving yourself to the grocery pickup parking spot with no one with you. Then after you get home you leave everything in the garage until the COVID isn’t stuck to your groceries before touching it without gloves and still your mask. 

mike1buttesilver
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Apple's leather case has been my choice since the iPhone 5. I usually do black or the navy blue when it's offered. Just the right amount of protection and not too much added thickness. Not slippery in my hand and slides easily into a front pants pocket.They look great throughout the entire three years I typically keep my phone.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 11
    COVID is an overwhelmingly airborne disease. Overzealous hand washing and disinfection of surfaces is pointless. Get vaccinated and wear a mask in public areas and stop wiping everything with alcohol. 
    edited September 2021