The blog

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Sorry to interrupt, but what the hell is a blog?

    Thanks
  • Reply 22 of 30
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Argento

    Sorry to interrupt, but what the hell is a blog?

    Thanks




    blog is just short for weblog. Kind of an online diary or journal.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kecksy

    blog is just short for weblog. Kind of an online diary or journal.



    Thank you so much.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I hate to think of them in terms of online diaries or journals.



    I remember when that LiveJournal stuff first got big. A metric assload of teenagers talking about how they felt at whatever time of the day (complete with "mood" emoticons) and ranting about how mean their parents are. Or a Josh Harnett worship mural or worse.



    I only got interested in this stuff when the journalistic side of it started moving. I love reading such diverse editorials and real content. You've got your hard-left and your hard-right and it's nice to hear from everyone.



    Of course, some people are skilled and humorous enough to make their day-to-day life seem interesting.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by groverat

    I hate to think of them in terms of online diaries or journals.



    I remember when that LiveJournal stuff first got big. A metric assload of teenagers talking about how they felt at whatever time of the day (complete with "mood" emoticons) and ranting about how mean their parents are. Or a Josh Harnett worship mural or worse.



    I only got interested in this stuff when the journalistic side of it started moving. I love reading such diverse editorials and real content. You've got your hard-left and your hard-right and it's nice to hear from everyone.



    Of course, some people are skilled and humorous enough to make their day-to-day life seem interesting.




    Once, when I first started blogging back when this all began a few years ago, I found a girl's LJ entry that said "ok gotta run n do homewrk n watch boy meets wrld."



    It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.



    Cheers

    Scott
  • Reply 26 of 30
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I asked about blogs over in software and someone suggested that I try something called Blosxom. I checked it out and installed it this past weekend (took me a while though). I'm still working on it and not quite up to full speed yet.



    Now I'm trying to get version 2.0 running because I want to use some of the nifty plug-ins that it supports (calendars, blogrolls, all sorts of stuff). Blosxom is for people who have access to their cgi-bin directory, know how to change permissions to remote files, understand HTML and can follow directions (the hardest part for me).



    My problem with a 'blog is that I don't want the world to know my every thought, so I'll probably contain mine to events and observations, taking care to avoid a lot of politics and deeply personal events. That will of course mean that it will be a very unpopular blog but there you go~
  • Reply 27 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by drewprops

    I asked about blogs over in software and someone suggested that I try something called Blosxom. I checked it out and installed it this past weekend (took me a while though). I'm still working on it and not quite up to full speed yet.



    Now I'm trying to get version 2.0 running because I want to use some of the nifty plug-ins that it supports (calendars, blogrolls, all sorts of stuff). Blosxom is for people who have access to their cgi-bin directory, know how to change permissions to remote files, understand HTML and can follow directions (the hardest part for me).



    My problem with a 'blog is that I don't want the world to know my every thought, so I'll probably contain mine to events and observations, taking care to avoid a lot of politics and deeply personal events. That will of course mean that it will be a very unpopular blog but there you go~




    As I've said before, I use pMachine to run my blog, and while it's not quite as powerful as moveable type, it's VERY easy to set up (and FAR easier to set up in OS X, once you get PHP and mySQL installed). You might want to give it a look.



    The real question I had, though, is this: if you don't want the world to know what you think, why do you not just keep a journal in your word processor? I ask because a while back I found that my blog and my personal journal (been keeping one daily since about 1995) were beginning to blur together, and I made a fairly concerted effort to rethink my blog so that it becomes about publishing rather than frequent updates, if that makes sense.



    Cheers

    Scott
  • Reply 28 of 30
    you guys really need to check out moveabletype.org. Much better than blogger.com. Get an ISP that supports mySQL database and MT and you are rocking. Also, a must have client blog app is kung-foo (see versiontracker). Based on Cocoa and XML-RPC/SOAP enalbed--it simply rocks.



    just set up a blog for someone here (this is with basic template and css--and need to dreamweaver it but you get the basic idea.



    See below MT-Blog site (using mySQL for archieving)



    http://www.bennion.info
  • Reply 29 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yeah MovableType looks very nice, but I have no access to a MySQL server and damned if I pay for a host to do it.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    any blogs work with .mac?
Sign In or Register to comment.