Hands on with the small and mighty 6th-generation iPad mini

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    crowley said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    I got mine Friday. So far I’m happy, very happy. But the bezels are still somewhat large to my liking. 
    Yeh, i wonder why they reduced the bezels but kept them fairly large?
    The top & bottom bezels seem much narrower than before but not narrow.  And, the side bezels seem (from the pictures) to be even wider than before.

Why wouldn't Apple just eliminate bezels like they did on iPhones starting back with the X?  And, without FaceId the don't even need the notch.

Does that very nice front facing camera take up that much room?  But, even if it does, why are the other three bezels so much wider than those on an iPhone?

The typical, immediate answer is (as always) "cost".  But I would think that making the screen fill the form factor should not add significantly to the cost.

Are you going to glue some velcro on your hand and some more on the back of the iPad in order to have a decent touch experience? You still need some space to handle the iPad (a two-hands device).
    It has flat edges, there's plenty of grip there.
    sure there is let me try to grab the iPad Pro 12.9 and mini on the sides for an terrible experience. Never will understand the obsession of bezel-less devices. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Apple_Bar said:
    I got mine Friday. So far I’m happy, very happy. But the bezels are still somewhat large to my liking. 
    The top & bottom bezels seem much narrower than before but not narrow.  And, the side bezels seem (from the pictures) to be even wider than before.

Why wouldn't Apple just eliminate bezels like they did on iPhones starting back with the X?  And, without FaceId the don't even need the notch.

Does that very nice front facing camera take up that much room?  But, even if it does, why are the other three bezels so much wider than those on an iPhone?

The typical, immediate answer is (as always) "cost".  But I would think that making the screen fill the form factor should not add significantly to the cost.

Are you going to glue some velcro on your hand and some more on the back of the iPad in order to have a decent touch experience? You still need some space to handle the iPad (a two-hands device).

Even on a full sized iPad my fingers don't curl around onto the screen.  I hold it by the edges -- just as I do with my phone.
    The phone is hold by the edges with the support of the palm of your hand. It can’t be compared to an iPad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Apple_Bar said:
    Apple_Bar said:

Even on a full sized iPad my fingers don't curl around onto the screen.  I hold it by the edges -- just as I do with my phone.
    The phone is hold by the edges with the support of the palm of your hand. It can’t be compared to an iPad. 

That's how I hold both phones and iPads: in my palm and by the edges -- although full sized iPads tend to require 2 hands.

But, thinking about it, I can see how some people might try to hold the iPad -- especially the Mini -- by pinching the edge of it and thus need the bezel to keep from obscuring part of the screen.   But to quote Steve Jobs, "You're holding it..."  Oh never mind.  It didn't work for him either.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    Gotta agree with the AI reviewer about the apparent clumsiness of the Touch ID. Functionally, the Touch ID is very fast. Pressing the power button to bring up the screen unlocks the iPad in one fell swoop every time. The fact that you don’t have the Touch ID button staring you in the face like on all previous iPad minis only adds to the confusion.

That said, I think this will be a temporary or “learning curve” situation. One thing that greatly reduced the clumsiness for me was to register both of my index fingers, right and left, with Touch ID. If I’m holding the mini in my left hand in portrait orientation I unlock it with my right index finger. If I use the mini in landscape mode I have the USB-C connector on the right and unlock the mini with my left index finger. At some point I expect this will come naturally. At least once it’s baked into muscle memory. 

With Touch ID equipped full sized and super sized iPads I turn on and unlock the iPad using my left and right thumbs with zero thought process involved. Using these larger Touch ID equipped iPads in portrait orientation is actually a bit clumsy with thumbs involved so I usually fall back to using the passcode.

I’d be thrilled with Face ID on the mini, but only if it worked equally well in portrait and landscape and if it did not introduce a notch or anything goofy like that. If Apple had placed the Touch ID sensor in the middle of the top edge the Touch ID situation on the mini (and the Air?) would be much better, in my opinion. 

Overall I’d have to say that once I get acclimated to the mini’s Touch ID implementation and continue to use two registered fingers (or more if I want to) it will be mostly a no-brainer. The main inhibitor to getting acclimated more quickly is that Apple’s folio cover for the iPad mini results in the Touch ID being awkwardly placed when using the iPad in landscape orientation with the cover acting like a wedge. As soon as I can find a good silicone case for the mini I will probably ditch the folio cover and handle the mini like a super jumbo sized phone.
    edited September 2021 GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple_Bar said:
    crowley said:
    Apple_Bar said:

It has flat edges, there's plenty of grip there.
    sure there is let me try to grab the iPad Pro 12.9 and mini on the sides for an terrible experience. Never will understand the obsession of bezel-less devices. 
    I guess we hold it differently, because I don't have any issues with there bezels at all.