MagSafe wallet review, listener questions, & more on HomeKit Insider

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2021
On the iPhone 13 launch week episode of a HomeKit Insider, your hosts talk about new software updates for HomePod, Find My capabilities in Apple's MagSafe wallet, and answer listener questions.

HomeKit Insider

This past week Aqara announced availability of its HomeKit-enabled smart roller blind retrofit controller that allows users to control shades with a bead or chain from Apple's smart home platform.

We also talked about the first beta release of iOS 15.1 which has re-enabled lossless audio for HomePod and HomePod mini.

Apple's new MagSafe wallet arrived for us which now can work with Find My. When removed for more than a minute, it's last known location will be tagged in the Find My app.

Listener questions

Several listeners wrote in this week with annecdotes and questions.

Angel asked if we think Apple has become stale in the smart home space with the likes of Google and Amazon producing tons of their own first-party hardware including routers, speakers, displays, and much more.

Ray wondered how he can force his smart home accessories to join the 2.4GHz network rather than his 5GHz network during setup.

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider