Apple sued over iPhone, iPad and Mac camera designs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2021
Patent holdings company KT Imaging is going after Apple for allegedly infringing on intellectual property covering image sensor packages and designs.

iPhone 8 Plus

Lodged with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas on Tuesday, KTI's complaint alleges infringement of five owned patents developed by Kingpak Technology, a Taiwanese IC packaging supplier with a specialization in CMOS image sensors.

At issue are U.S. Patent Nos. 7,196,322, 7,511,261, 7,598,580, 8,004,602 and 8,314,481, each filed for between 2004 and 2008, and detailing image sensor structures and methods of manufacturing said components. The '322, '261 and '602 patents were assigned to KT Imaging in 2018 and recorded in 2019, while the '481 patent changed hands in 2019. The '580 patent was reassigned in 2021.

Plaintiffs claim infringement of image sensor packaging technology that is now common in modern electronic devices that integrate a digital camera. Specifically, claims detail a "substrate having an upper surface, and a lower surface on which second electrodes are formed," with an image sensor mounted to the upper surface and connected to the electrodes. Described image sensor modules also include a lens barrel with accommodations for positioning lens elements in line with the system's photosensitive chip.

Variations of the design are detailed in the '322, '261, and '481 patents, which are respectively leveraged against the fourth-generation iPad, iPhone 6s, and MacBook Air.

The '580 and '602 patents are leveraged against the fourth-generation iPad mini and iPhone 8 Plus, respectively, and cover similar topics, but with direct mention of "a plurality of first conducting pads arranged around the light-sensing area and electrically connected to the light-sensing elements." A variation on the lens holding system is also described.

KTI first filed suit against Kyocera, Lightcomm Technology and Panasonic using a similar clutch of Kingpak IP in 2019, and later initiated actions against Acer, Asus, Foxconn's Dynabook, LG and Samsung in 2020. Apple, Dell, Google and Microsoft were added to the patent holding firm's busy legal schedule today.

KTI seeks damages and court fees in its complaint against Apple.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Sounds broad and obvious.  Seems like they’re saying if you mount optical imaging components to a circuit board the way every other component is mounted, you’re infringing.  But I haven’t done a read of the patents so maybe there’s some non-obvious secret sauce.  I doubt it.  
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    If you call them patent trolls instead of patents holding company I won’t think less of you as a journalist. 
    Xedapplguywilliamlondonjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Sounds broad and obvious.  Seems like they’re saying if you mount optical imaging components to a circuit board the way every other component is mounted, you’re infringing.  But I haven’t done a read of the patents so maybe there’s some non-obvious secret sauce.  I doubt it.  
    I guess that mounting an OCP-71 on a circuit board infringes their patents. Oh wait... I did that back in the 1970's. There is plenty of prior art around mounting components on a circuit board. I don't see what is so special about a lens that makes it unique from every other component. Then again, IANAL and certainly not a patent shyster.

The patent owner should also be suing Nikon, Canon, and every other digital camera maker. I know from taking my D100 (made in 2003) apart (after dropping it) that the sensor array is mounted on a circuit board. It has an anti-aliasing filter over the sensor which is much like a lens.
    MacProwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra