Apple cancels Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Mr. Corman' after one season

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    The acting was good. The problem is that nobody wants to see just how broken some people are. It’s not funny. I did come away with gratitude that I don’t have those problems and now talk to friends who may exhibit those types of behaviors to try to help them mentally. 

The episode with Hugo Weaving as his father was very good.
    I enjoy plenty of films about broken people. But I think putting it in the comedy genre was a mistake. It’s a drama, def not comedy.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    takeo said:
    I watched it because it was creative and I kept wanting to see what would happen… if Josh would get it together. But he never did. The big cathartic moment of him recording drums didn’t really land. So it was basically 10 episodes of people painfully telling him how much of a mopey sad sack he was (or even just a bad person) and him doing nothing to change that or prove them wrong. What was the point? Just to make us depressed?

The FX show “Dave” is basically exactly the same formula but it (the latest season) was SO much better and more fun (and funny) and the big moment at the end where he finally learns not to be a self absorbed jerk may actually bring you to tears.
    And, I fear that the same is happening to the second season of "See".   I loved the first season.   But the second started out with excessive, needless, explicit violence but is developing into a moribund soap opera where everybody is screwing everybody -- either physically or virtually.  Even the heroes are increasingly looking bad -- people you would not want to deal with or be around.  On the other hand, the bad guys are starting to look more human.  It might be interesting to see where this goes -- but I'm not sure I can hold out long enough to find out.

Feature, not a bug.  

It would be -- except, right now, everybody is looking pretty bad: sneaky, deceitful, untrustworthy, etc. (or worse!).  What was the main good-guy turns out to be a slaver who murdered his father while his son is screwing his aunt and betraying his mother who is planning to betray her sister (the kid's aunt).  Meanwhile kid's mother is married to his father as well as some other guy -- and they debate sleeping arrangements.   

Hopefully, somebody will turn around.  But right now it seems like a soap opera of despicable characters.  I'm not sure how many more episodes I want to watch of it -- while last season I couldn't wait for the next episode.

Oh!  And I almost forgot the kid's sister:   She's sleeping with the (female) chief captain of the army they will soon be at war with and who has betrayed the trust of the general who is undermining the authority of the congress he reports to.
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 23 of 24

Does anyone know what those recurring shimmery visions of a homeless dude were supposed to represent?
    One of many questions left unanswered... for good now!
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Writer-director is nothing new, and countless great amd award-winning works have been produced this way. Every film is still a collaboration, with many departments and skilled teams contributing.
    I'm going to ignore the patronizing answer and get to the point—already made on one of the first posts: writing, directing, producing, and acting—as the protagonist, no less! Don't know why you left half the credits to Mr. Gordon-Levitt out of your answer. No doubt he is talented, but this fells too much like a vanity project.

I've watched everything that come out on Apple TV+, even a lot of stuff that is not my cup of tea. Every now and again I feel let down by some episode, even from Ted Lasso (Coach Beard episode was awful to watch). Little Voice was far more enjoyable than Mr. Corman. I didn't particularly like it, because it just wasn't the kind of content I usually consume, but it was well made, and managed to tell a story in its one (and only) season.

In hindsight, it feels like JGL got cart blanche from Apple over his name and career alone. It could've gone either way, but it blowed in his face—and that may have further consequences in future projects. Hopefully, this will be an outlier.