Netgear has a new $1,500 Wi-Fi 6e mesh router

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    I was foolishly holding out for WiFi 6e but then I had to buy a WiFi 6 router for another purpose. It is now my primary router. WiFi 6 is pretty great compared to WiFi 5/ax. It has much better range and bandwidth. It works with the latest phones and computers and is fully backwards compatible (unless your device is very old and does not support the improved security modes). The router was quite affordable at around $150. I still look forward to WiFi 6e but these first batch of routers are stupid expensive and will likely have to be thrown away when they become widely available at much better prices next year.
    WiFi 5 = 801.11ac
    WiFi 6 = 802.11ax

WiFi 6/802.11ax is fully compatible with all older versions of WiFi (including security models), if configured correctly.  If a manufacturer doesn't support an old security model that is not because of the WiFi 5/6 standard - it's because the manufacturer didn't want to support.

Range of WiFi 5 & WiFi 6 is a function of the output power & the sensitivity of the hardware radio/antennas.  Range has nothing to do with the the WiFi 5/6 standards.

You look forward to WiFi 6e why?  Do you own hardware that supports it (I doubt it - very little does)?

Do you have any idea what you are even talking about?

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    elijahg said:
    Not sure why anyone would pay such an absurd amount for this from what is a pretty poorly regarded networking company - when you could get a prosumer solution from a professional networking company like Cisco (Meraki) or Ubiquiti (Unifi) for 1/4 the price; companies with actual networking expertise who write their own network stack with excellent UIs, reliability, security and updates for 5 years+. Or you could get an overpriced Netgear box with a generic version of Linux underneath and a crap GUI that doesn't work properly ontop with 6 months of software support for $1500.
    This.  I bought into ubiquiti and I am very pleased with their devices.  I can’t recommend them enough for the right crowd anyway… it’s not exactly plug and play. To me, it was, ymmv.

However, I have recommended other systems for my less technically savvy family members since I’m not always close to support them.  If this be aimed at less technical users, I fear this will be reserved for the upper-middle/upper class because of the price. I can’t imagine there will be a lot of sales of this.  I can think of a few reasons why people would buy this, but they’re not exactly wise or prudent reasons.
    elijahgwatto_cobra