Apple Silicon MacBook Pro and AirPods event is on October 18

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    A coworker of mine ruined my 2017 MBP a few months ago.  I have refused to get another laptop until these new MBP's come out.  I'm so ready for it. I wish it came out a couple months ago when I needed to borrow a friend's (gasp) windows laptop for travel.  

If I could hope for one thing, and that is thee new MBP's have serious improvements after the v1.0 ASi machines.  I don't want compromises due to engineers not being at the office due to COVID.  I'd be seriously disappointed by that.

I'm anxiously waiting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macapfel said:
    I hope Apple doesn’t forget there are a bunch of people desperately waiting for a 27” refresh. 
    Well, Apple said a two year transition to Apple Silicon. When is the two years up? My prediction is that the larger iMac will the last Mac to get Apple Silicon. MacBooks are Apple’s bread and butter when it comes to the macOS platform. The iMacs are red headed stepchildren I think.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    “Unleashed” implies Apple Silicon is being set free in some way. I guess it could be confined to Pro laptops (i.e., the M1 is “unleashed” in the M1X), but you have to wonder if we’re going to see an iMac Pro or something like that, free from the thermal constraints of tablets and laptops (and ultra-thin iMacs)…
    I doubt we'll see an iMac Pro, but otherwise I agree that 'unleashed' seems related to ASi. The M1 kind of felt like an iPad SOC that happened to work pretty well in Macs -- kind of a natural follow-on to the A12Z. Maybe this will be a SOC designed for the Mac from the ground up (and so maybe it won't show up in an iPad)? 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    tht said:
    Big questions on my mind:

1. Will they offer 64 GB RAM, and if so, how? LPDDR5? In-package? 4 memory chips, or 8 in 4 pads stacked 2 high.
    2. What's the deal with the GPU? Will they offer 32 cores? If so, 16 cores in the SoC, 16 cores off-chip but in package? If so, makes for an MCM with 5 to 9 chips.
    3. If this M1X chip is used for the large iMac, how do they get to 128 GB RAM and 64 GPU cores?

This is the first true blue, designed for a Mac SoC. Will be interesting to see what design paths they chose.
    I'd add to that list --

Will they use the same CPU and GPU core designs as the M1/A14, or will they use the core designs in the A15? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    tjp said:
    Just a coincidence that this was scheduled to be the day before Google’s launch of the Pixel 6?
    If this was an iPhone event.. maybe? :#

FileMakerFellercgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is the second event in a row that featured stars in the invite. The first ad was viewed terra firma, this one traveling through space. And the titles, from “California Dreaming” to “Unleashed”, take us from imagining what is possible to actually unveiling it. 

Tell me I’m wearing a tin foil hat, but I strongly believe we are about to get a surprise from Apple that people aren’t expecting. It might be the AR/VR unveiling everyone has been waiting for. It might be the new Apple TV gaming device being whispered about online, or maybe just a new HomePod. But I really think this is going to be more than just a MacBook Pro and AirPods event. 

If I end up being wrong, big deal. The so-called “leakers” are wrong half the time too. But, if I end up being right, the unimaginative Georges of the world can’t accuse me of making shit up after the fact. 
    edited October 2021 patchythepiratethtmuthuk_vanalingamvedelppawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    lkrupp said:
    macapfel said:
    I hope Apple doesn’t forget there are a bunch of people desperately waiting for a 27” refresh. 
    Well, Apple said a two year transition to Apple Silicon. When is the two years up? My prediction is that the larger iMac will the last Mac to get Apple Silicon. MacBooks are Apple’s bread and butter when it comes to the macOS platform. The iMacs are red headed stepchildren I think.
    If you were going by sales, the larger iMac would definitely be ahead of the mini (which has seen recent rumors/design leaks) and the Mac Pro which is almost certainly to be last. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    I’d like a 16” with Midnight finish (that doesn’t wear off on the palmrests) and a new 30+ display with Thunderbolt daisy chaining and power delivery to replace my aging 30” ACDs please, both with nanotexture matte glass. 
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    jcs2305 said:
    tjp said:
    Just a coincidence that this was scheduled to be the day before Google’s launch of the Pixel 6?
    If this was an iPhone event.. maybe? :#

It’s still additional noise that’s to be avoided. These events are almost always on Tuesdays, they bumped it up a day to suck the air out of the room ahead of a Google release taking up any headlines. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Japhey said:
    I strongly believe we are about to get a surprise from Apple that people aren’t expecting. It might be the AR/VR unveiling everyone has been waiting for. 
    AR/VR? Hmm, I've been wrong before, and my prediction today is the biggest longshot I've ever predicted, but here goes.... A few weeks ago ABBA announced new virtual reality ABBAtars of themselves, but they didn't mention any hardware platform that their VR Abbatars would be available on. The timing might be coincidental, but I'm predicting that (a) Apple will release a VR/AR device, and I also predict that (b) the first app Apple will announce for their new AR/VR device will be "ABBAtars," which will allow people to see themselves right in the midst of ABBA's performances. I've never stood in line for any product before, but I'd stand in a long line for that one.

The 12 second promo Apple released seems to be emphasizing 3D video. Another coincidence?

<-- a video explaining the VR ABBA experience
    edited October 2021 patchythepirateFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Desperate for a larger iMac refresh.

What does the Armchair-Predictor reveal?
    I just want an M1 iMac without a white border on the screen, don't care what size it is. Maybe I'm just too particular, but I'm surprised the white border didn't bother more people. It's jarring when the computer is off, or when watching a show (what TVs have white borders?), or when in dark mode, and even when the screen is on you still have that thin black border. Maybe this is just a preference thing, or maybe my feelings actually reflect objective aesthetic truths, and people just don't notice these irregularities enough for it to matter, just like they don't notice the drops of morning dew on a dandelion, or the hue of the sunset, or that the gd light turned green one minute ago.
    9secondkox2williamlondonTRAGFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 64

I just want an M1 iMac without a white border on the screen, don't care what size it is. Maybe I'm just too particular, but I'm surprised the white border didn't bother more people. It's jarring when the computer is off, or when watching a show (what TVs have white borders?), or when in dark mode, and even when the screen is on you still have that thin black border. Maybe this is just a preference thing, or maybe my feelings actually reflect objective aesthetic truths, and people just don't notice these irregularities enough for it to matter, just like they don't notice the drops of morning dew on a dandelion, or the hue of the sunset, or that the gd light turned green one minute ago.
    To each his own, but the trend is no bezels, not black bezels, so it's not that black bezels are inherently desirable.

P.S. Since you have only one eye, it's only half an issue for you anyway.
    tenthousandthingsGG1roundaboutnowTRAGFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 64
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Something  something iMac.  

Something something 30”. 

Something something disappointed.  
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 64

The white border is trash. In the 90s, everything was all over the place so that design was not bad. It was kind of fresh actually. But today, it’s a backward step. Looks like a fisher price toy. Macs have always had class and an ahead of their time look. The current small iMac just looks like a throwaway fad. 

Like you, I want something professional looking and timelessly modern. Like some Mercedes, Porsche, or bmw designs. Not something that looks like it was bought in the wal mart toy aisle. 

Big iMac in silver or gray, with either no bezel or a tiny  black “eyeliner” around the screen. 

Thankfully the iPhone iPad and watch have black borders. 

Would love to see the bigger iMac house the power supply in back in the body where it belongs. 
    edited October 2021 williamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    I strongly believe we are about to get a surprise from Apple that people aren’t expecting. It might be the AR/VR unveiling everyone has been waiting for. 
    AR/VR? Hmm, I've been wrong before, and my prediction today is the biggest longshot I've ever predicted, but here goes.... A few weeks ago ABBA announced new virtual reality ABBAtars of themselves, but they didn't mention any hardware platform that their VR Abbatars would be available on. The timing might be coincidental, but I'm predicting that (a) Apple will release a VR/AR device, and I also predict that (b) the first app Apple will announce for their new AR/VR device will be "ABBAtars," which will allow people to see themselves right in the midst of ABBA's performances. I've never stood in line for any product before, but I'd stand in a long line for that one.

The 12 second promo Apple released seems to be emphasizing 3D video. Another coincidence?

<-- a video explaining the VR ABBA experience
    I was just thinking it could be announced, but not released until later, like the Apple Watch was. But, if you’re right, this ABBA project looks pretty fantastic. Apple frequently uses music to introduce or advance technology, so it makes sense they would do the same with AR/VR. But, if I’m being honest, I think the Apple TV with A14/15 or M1(x) will come first. It just seems like the logical next piece of the AR/VR puzzle Apple is assembling, that when complete, will be far beyond anything available from anyone else. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64
    I’d like a 16” with Midnight finish (that doesn’t wear off on the palmrests) and a new 30+ display with Thunderbolt daisy chaining and power delivery to replace my aging 30” ACDs please, both with nanotexture matte glass. 
    Jeebus anything but “space grey”

and seconded for a new Apple display… I’ve got the LG, it started ghosting, what a bummer of a device… absolutely cannot believe that it hasn’t been possible to buy a decent, sub-$10k display for OVER FIVE YEARS
    9secondkox2cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64
    I think Apple is going to be very conservative with MacBook Pro and iMac Pro colors. They take the “Pro” moniker far too seriously, just look at the iPad Pros.

My money is on Space Grey and “Starlight”. I’m typing this on a starlight iPad Mini, it’s an improvement over the old silver at least… but what I really want is that Jet Black that they purportedly spent years researching for the perfect nano matte finish or whatever, released on just the iPhone 7, and then threw in the incinerator. Lol.
    patchythepiratevedelppawatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    I’d vastly prefer a Mac Mini Pro to a larger iMac. Nothing against the iMac, but I’d rather have a moderately extensible and modular Mini that can drive at least three 4K or higher resolution monitors, at least four TB4 ports, 10 GB Ethernet, support for at least 64 GB memory, and support for at least 8 TB solid state storage inside the chassis. I wouldn’t complain about other ports like SD, HDMI, and even one or two USB ports. 

When you see how little of the volume of the new 24” iMac is actually devoted to the computing element, it’s very apparent that Apple could stuff a ton of computing power into a Mini sized volume. I wouldn’t even worry about maintaining the same exact form factor as the current Mini. 

I’d love to see the Mac Mini be Apple’s version of what Intel does with their NUC, with various models geared towards prosumer to pro to gamer. Intel has gotten way more granular with too many models. Apple could get by with far fewer variations, like prosumer, pro, entertainment, and server. 

That’s the dream. The reality will probably be a tweaked up variation of the 24” iMac with a larger integrated screen, M1x, all packaged in a Space Gray chassis. 
    muthuk_vanalingamvedelppaGG1mobirdh2pcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tht said:
    Big questions on my mind:

1. Will they offer 64 GB RAM, and if so, how? LPDDR5? In-package? 4 memory chips, or 8 in 4 pads stacked 2 high.
    2. What's the deal with the GPU? Will they offer 32 cores? If so, 16 cores in the SoC, 16 cores off-chip but in package? If so, makes for an MCM with 5 to 9 chips.
    3. If this M1X chip is used for the large iMac, how do they get to 128 GB RAM and 64 GPU cores?

This is the first true blue, designed for a Mac SoC. Will be interesting to see what design paths they chose.
    I’ve also been thinking that the graphics cores could be off chip but on the substrate. I think I mentioned that once. Latency might suffer a small amount, but not much. If they offload the GPU, then two benefits. One is that they have far more room on the substrate, which can be any size. Two is that there is now a lot more room on the chip for everything else, such as more, and bigger performance cores, or a 5G modem. Thought the modem would t be this year, of course.
    edited October 2021 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Japhey said:
    Uh, gee — it says all over their website what this is for — a series of concerts in London using their avatars as stand-ins for the band. There's absolutely no mention of AR/VR anywhere to be found: https://abbavoyage.com

No it doesn't, and it's not. There's nothing here suggesting Apple's anywhere close to releasing an AR/VR device. Wrong as usual.

edited October 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra