Apple working with Florida to bring state digital ID support to Wallet

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 13
Florida is working with Apple to introduce support for its upcoming digital driver's licenses to the iPhone's Wallet app.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple


The state is developing a Smart-ID app that will allow Floridians to provide a secure way to provide identification using a smartphone. According to Florida Politics, the app is currently live but not yet available to the public.

Starting in mid-November, the state will issue a smartphone app on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store. Although Wallet support won't be available initially, Apple is said to be working with the state to make the digital IDs available in Wallet.

Back in June, Apple announced that iOS 15 will bring support for digital identification cards and driver's licenses in the Wallet app. The first rollout will be focused on proving identity at TSA checkpoints, but the system could theoretically be used for other situations.

Florida was left off of a list of partner states that Apple is working with to bring digital ID support to Wallet. State officials said they were surprised that they didn't make the list and subsequently exchanged information with Apple in the hopes of being added to the slate of partners.

According to the report, Florida's digital ID will allow users to prove their identity to law enforcement officers in a verifiable and secure manner. In addition, businesses that require age verification will also be able to use digital IDs, although they'll receive less personal information than law enforcement.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Florida Man will think that Smart-ID will steal his soul.
    rob53StrangeDaysmike1williamlondonjeffharrisroyboywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    royboyroyboy Posts: 452member
    Appleish said:
    Florida Man will think that Smart-ID will steal his soul.
    The app will allow the State of Florida to access your soul through MAGA microchip that was installed during the Covid vaccination.   I’m assuming the Obamacare chip is still in place.
    At least a third of Floridians will believe that!  I should know, I live in Florida!

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    What about Illinois?  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,052member
    I like the idea as long as there's a license/reg/proof of insurance app that will open only via passcode (no Face ID) and allow only its contents to be view, as in a kiosk mode.

    Otherwise there will be instances of police scrolling through your phone, seeing what they can find, for whatever reason. There's also nothing to stop a cop, once you hand him or her your phone, from going back to their car and plugging it into CelleBrite or similar hardware.

    Some form of "AirDropping" your "driver's documents" to a certified reader, so you  don't lose control of the phone would be a better idea. And yes, I'm a boomer.


  • Reply 5 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,252member
    macgui said:
    I like the idea as long as there's a license/reg/proof of insurance app that will open only via passcode (no Face ID) and allow only its contents to be view, as in a kiosk mode.

    Otherwise there will be instances of police scrolling through your phone, seeing what they can find, for whatever reason. There's also nothing to stop a cop, once you hand him or her your phone, from going back to their car and plugging it into CelleBrite or similar hardware.

    Some form of "AirDropping" your "driver's documents" to a certified reader, so you  don't lose control of the phone would be a better idea. And yes, I'm a boomer.


    All good points. The way it's implemented on my Pixel it requires specific unlocking when the app (Stack) is opened, and in my case via Face Unlock. As you said it then makes it game on if you hand to phone over to someone else at that point. Yes it's secure and private as long as you maintain control of the phone, but if you don't...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,184member
    So how does this work exactly. Say I get pulled over, do I have to give my phone to the officer? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,252member
    macxpress said:
    So how does this work exactly. Say I get pulled over, do I have to give my phone to the officer? 
    I think the way it will eventually work is via Bluetooth/NFC/tap-to-transfer, transmitting the license data to the officers device rather than handing over the entire phone. 
    edited October 14
Sign In or Register to comment.