Apple silently extends AirPods Pro crackly audio repair program

Posted:
in General Discussion
Without fanfare, Apple has extended the repair program that addresses known AirPods Pro issues involving crackling, static, or problems with Active Noise Cancellation an additional year.

AirPods Pro owners will be eligible to replace defective units affected by known audio issues for up to three years as Apple silently extends its service program for Apple AirPods Pro produced before October 2020.

Reddit user matejamm1 first spotted the alterations to the program in a post on Reddit's r/AirPods subreddit, noting that the change comes into effect just as the first AirPods Pro sold in October 2019 start to turn two years old.

At the bottom of Apple's AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues page, it states that the program "covers affected AirPods Pro for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit."

The program first went live in October 2020 and covered affected units for two years after the first retail sale.

Apple's AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues page notes that the problem affects units manufactured before October 2020. Issues may include crackling and static sounds in loud environments, while exercising, or talking on the phone. Issues with Active Noise Cancellation are also covered.

Subsequent releases of AirPods Pro are not known to exhibit the same problems as those manufactured before October 2020.

Those impacted can take their AirPods Pro unit to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for free service. Coverage includes the replacement of individual earbuds or a complete set, depending on the results of an authorized examination.

The company notes the repair initiative covers no other AirPods models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    OK, it would be kind of helpful if they had some kind of way to tell what year your AirPods Pro were made (by entering serial number, or model number, etc.). I haven't noticed that problem, but I also use ANC just a few percent of the time (I'd use it more if I traveled, though, so would want it to work properly). I guess I'll have to force myself to use it some and try to figure it out before the time is up. (I don't like ANC or 'off' because of the pressure feeling, so run them in Transparency mostly.)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    cgWerks said:
    OK, it would be kind of helpful if they had some kind of way to tell what year your AirPods Pro were made (by entering serial number, or model number, etc.). I haven't noticed that problem, but I also use ANC just a few percent of the time (I'd use it more if I traveled, though, so would want it to work properly). I guess I'll have to force myself to use it some and try to figure it out before the time is up. (I don't like ANC or 'off' because of the pressure feeling, so run them in Transparency mostly.)

Transparency and ANC are where you’d notice the problem. They’re essentially the same function, but with the phase reversed. I had the crackling trouble last year and replaced one and then the other a month later, and then the other one again soon after. No problems since then. 
    cgWerksjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleZulu said:
    Transparency and ANC are where you’d notice the problem. They’re essentially the same function, but with the phase reversed. I had the crackling trouble last year and replaced one and then the other a month later, and then the other one again soon after. No problems since then. 
    Oh, cool. Well, I use Transparency like 95+ percent of the time, so then I'd have noticed it by now. Thanks. Mine were purchased a bit before Christmas last year, so hard to know if they were manufactured before Oct or not. It would be close, I'd guess.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Is it also for the EU? (The The Netherlands)
    Can’t seems to find it on the website 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I had one earbud replaced for this issue 6 or 7 months ago. I can tell the other one needs it now… I guess now is the time! Too bad that it happens but at least they’re taking care of it! Thanks Apple! 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple replaced both of my AirPod Pros this summer.   I brought them in for a charging problem (which turned out to be in the case) but they tested the AirPods and found that they failed their crackle test and replaced them.   They sounded fine to my 71 year old ears but not to Apple's testing machine.

I give Apple a lot of credit for being proactive insuring their products are top notch quality.
    jahblade
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I've been dealing with this issue in my right earbud since late last year (I bought my AirPods Pro in June) but have been procrastinating about making an appointment to get them looked at / serviced. When they passed the one year point, I figured I'd procrastinated too long. This is good news!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    rob55 said:
    I've been dealing with this issue in my right earbud since late last year (I bought my AirPods Pro in June) but have been procrastinating about making an appointment to get them looked at / serviced. When they passed the one year point, I figured I'd procrastinated too long. This is good news!
    You can call Apple support, if you’d rather. In my case, replacements arrived less than 24 hours after the call. 
    jahbladecgWerks
  • Reply 9 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    I had this issue - static or crackling when ANC was activated. Think mine were under the first year warranty so I just brought them in for service (Best Buy handled it).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    AppleZulu said:
    rob55 said:
    You can call Apple support, if you’d rather. In my case, replacements arrived less than 24 hours after the call. 
    I assumed they needed to evaluate them, so that wouldn't be an option. Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    since ios 15, the sound quality of apple music on my airpods pro has been reduced. am i the only one? maybe it’s apple music’s fault and. it airpods’ fault
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Just had both of mine replaced today and it was quick and painless at the Genius Bar.  Ran a couple diagnostics and handed me two new bugs.  So glad Apple is doing this!!