Hands on with the new features of Apple Watch Series 7

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    mubaili said:
    Love the bigger display. Really wish Apple would open up the watch face to third party. It is about time.
    No, Samsung, Google or Facebook on the watch face no thanks….
  • Reply 22 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    saarek said:
    I appreciate the fast charging, really, I do. But why can’t they just improve the overall battery life?

Apple finally seemed to get the point on iPhone and really pushed overall battery life on the new iPhones.

Many here will say something like “oh well I get all day battery life and just charge when in the shower so what are you moaning about?!”

I enjoy hiking and sports such as skiing and want to leave my iPhone at home.

On my AW7 it’s the perfect device to load on a trail, throw in the AirPods Pro and just go. But without my iPhone the Apple Watch dies within 6 hours, usually less.

A bigger battery giving me up to 10 hours would be game changing for me and others like me.
    How much more additional weight and size would you be willing to accept for a 10 hour battery life? 
    The current form factor may not suffice.

At least 2 more generations (die shrinks) before (real) greater battery life comes into play, the tech is not here yet…..
  • Reply 23 of 25
    saarek said:
    saarek said:
    I appreciate the fast charging, really, I do. But why can’t they just improve the overall battery life?

Apple finally seemed to get the point on iPhone and really pushed overall battery life on the new iPhones.

Many here will say something like “oh well I get all day battery life and just charge when in the shower so what are you moaning about?!”

On my AW7 it’s the perfect device to load on a trail, throw in the AirPods Pro and just go. But without my iPhone the Apple Watch dies within 6 hours, usually less.

A bigger battery giving me up to 10 hours would be game changing for me and others like me.
    How much more additional weight and size would you be willing to accept for a 10 hour battery life? 
    Well, the iPhone 13 is 3% thicker and gets 25% better battery life. I think I could happily live with that, how about you?
    If that would be the only sacrifice, I would gladly take that change! I’d even be okay with slightly more thickness.
    Although I’m afraid that the iPhone’s additional battery net usage time has a lot to do with the newer chip, and not so much battery dimensions. Having said that I hope Apple is able to bring similar improvements to the watch.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    saarek said:

The series 0 AW didn't make it through the day with normal usage. A 30m walk dried mine by 50%. They've come a long way for sure, but as you point out, when using the functions like streaming music, it seems to not make it through the day. It is marketed as a fitness/ entertainment system, but when you use it for that (any marathoners out there get it to last those hours long races? Or cyclists doing a 6+ hour century with directions running?) it falls way short.
    Not so. With a healthy battery the S0 definitely lasted all day, and that included tracking hour-plus workouts. I did this for years, often with 30% left by bedtime. Once the battery wore down it wasn’t able to, but it definitely could otherwise. I recall reviewers were surprised and commented the same in reviews. 

https://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch

After more than a week of daily use, Apple Watch has more than alleviated any concerns I had about getting through a day on a single charge. I noted the remaining charge when I went to bed each night. It was usually still in the 30s or 40s. Once it was still over 50 percent charged. Once, it was down to 27.
    Glad yours did. Mine definitely didn't after about 6 months after purchase.
    Not just mine -- that was the norm (thus the reviews). If yours didn't yours was defective, the battery should definitely have lasted longer than 6 months. Mine went a couple years, using it to track workouts 3-4 days a week, and I know one guy who just finally retired his S0.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    saarek said:
    saarek said:

Well, the iPhone 13 is 3% thicker and gets 25% better battery life. I think I could happily live with that, how about you?
    If that would be the only sacrifice, I would gladly take that change! I’d even be okay with slightly more thickness.
    Although I’m afraid that the iPhone’s additional battery net usage time has a lot to do with the newer chip, and not so much battery dimensions. Having said that I hope Apple is able to bring similar improvements to the watch.
    You are correct on this. It was not just increase in battery capacity, but newer efficient chip AND also efficient display that caused tremendous battery life increase in iPhone 13 series when compared to iPhone 12 generation. Apple Watch series 7 did not get those kind of updates when compared to Series 6, so additional battery life will need a much larger battery which is not practical on the smaller form factor Watch. Hopefully, Apple will opt for even more efficient SoC and display in the next generation Apple Watch, then @Saarek's concerns on battery life would get addressed. Competition is not pushing Apple on this, using 7-8 year old components for Android watches, so Apple has to push themselves hard on their own (like they are doing it on the tablet SoC/display front).