Apple Store down ahead of 'Unleashed' new MacBook Pro event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Apple has taken its online Apple Store offline for updates, preparing the digital storefront for the launch of new products that is expected to include a refresh of the MacBook Pro line.

A tradition of Apple events, the online version of the Apple Store goes down hours ahead of the company's presentation, giving developers time to update the pages for its new launches. On Monday, shortly after 7 a.m. eastern, the store switched to displaying the usual "Be right back" animated logo graphic.

While Apple doesn't say when the store will come back, it usually resurfaces shortly after the related launch event concludes. As Apple will be holding its "Unleashed" event at 1 p.m. eastern, it's probable that the store will reactivate for purchases sometime around or after 2 p.m. eastern, depending on how long the presentation lasts.

Apple's expected launches for the "Unleashed" event include updates to the MacBook Pro range, including a new 16-inch MacBook Pro and 14-inch MacBook Pro. They are rumored to include new "M1X" chips with eight CPU cores and either 16 or 32 GPU cores, as well as a mini LED display that may include a notch, and the removal of the Touch Bar.

Rumors also point to Apple launching new AirPods during the event. It is thought that the AirPods 3 will have a smaller design with shorter stems, closer in appearance to the AirPods Pro, but without including premium features like Active Noise Cancellation.

AppleInsider will be covering the event and its launched products during and after Apple's presentation later on Monday.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Welp, that answers the question of if they are at least taking pre-orders today.

Woot!  My credit card is sweating! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Can't wait for the weeping and wailing over them requiring a subscription to voice control Apple Music.  Didn't see that one coming and it's not a good trend :tongue: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Can't wait to see what @darkvader and a couple of others have to say about how terrible and outdated the M1 Pro and M1 Max are. ;)
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It’s back up now and it looks like they updated their Mega Menu options at the top of the site!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Is it just me or did this presentation look like an unreleased episode of "Westworld"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Detnator said:
    Can't wait to see what @darkvader and a couple of others have to say about how terrible and outdated the M1 Pro and M1 Max are. ;)

I never said the M1 was outdated.  I said it was a stupid thing to do.  I also said that its real world performance is nowhere close to the hype, and I absolutely stand by that.  I've used several more computers with the M1 since I said that, and it's still true.  It seems that Windoze 11 ARM will run on Parallels, and that ARM Windoze has Intel emulation, so that may not be as much of an issue as I'd expected, but of course there will be a speed penalty.

I have yet to touch a max/pro MBP, and neither have you.  So I have no real world performance comparison to comment on yet, and neither do you.

I can say that the camera notch is absolutely idiotic, and will be a major distraction for a lot of people when they use these computers.

• Reply 7 of 7
    darkvader said:
    Detnator said:

I never said the M1 was outdated.  I said it was a stupid thing to do.  I also said that its real world performance is nowhere close to the hype, and I absolutely stand by that.  I've used several more computers with the M1 since I said that, and it's still true.  It seems that Windoze 11 ARM will run on Parallels, and that ARM Windoze has Intel emulation, so that may not be as much of an issue as I'd expected, but of course there will be a speed penalty.

I have yet to touch a max/pro MBP, and neither have you.  So I have no real world performance comparison to comment on yet, and neither do you.

I can say that the camera notch is absolutely idiotic, and will be a major distraction for a lot of people when they use these computers.

Oh... my bad.  Not "outdated".  Instead... "It was obsolete, deficient, underpowered, and overpriced...  [with] underpowered integrated graphics...  Apple shouldn't have used that junk in ... computers..." 

It was obsolete, deficient, underpowered, and overpriced when it was released. I mean, seriously, a processor released in 2020 that couldn't address more than 16GB RAM?  A processor released in 2020 that could only handle two Thunderbolt/USB ports?  A processor that can't even handle a dedicated GPU so you get nothing but its underpowered integrated graphics?  It's fine for a toy like the iPad, but it doesn't belong in a computer.

Apple shouldn't have used that junk in last year's computers.  It definitely doesn't belong in computers that haven't even been released yet.

I and a number of others replied to that message arguing the same point: that you're talking as if it's junk because it can't compete with the Mac Pro.  (Which is pretty funny really because Apple Insider's Andrew temporarily replaced his $6000 Mac Pro with a $1200 M1 MBA and it did all his video editing etc. with virtually the same performance as the Mac Pro.)  Still, the M1 is a first generation chip for the base entry level Macs, and with the M1 in them, those Macs smoke the previous entry level Macs and every PC in the same class, while keeping up with all but the fastest Macs and PCs. You make a lot of claims but never seem to reply when facts are being discussed.

Your issue with "integrated graphics" is equally misguided. Just because Intel can't get integrated graphics right doesn't mean it's the "integrated" part that's the problem. Apple's now managed to prove that integrated vs discreet is meaningless. In fact part of why Apple's chips' graphics are fast is BECAUSE they're integrated. Saying graphics is weak because it's integrated is as idiotic as saying a Porsche isn't a "real" car because it's engine's in the "wrong" end.

Real world?  Ok... As I've said in more than one reply to your excessively negative posts about the M1's, including the above quoted one -- none of which you've replied to --  I have a maxed out (at original release) Intel 2.4GHz i9 16" MBP (64GB RAM, 8GB 5500M),  alongside a maxed out 13" M1 MBP (16GB RAM), both right here.  They're basically clones of each other (what they're running) and the M1 does most tasks faster -- except it can't fry an egg like the Intel one can.  There's absolutely no question in my real world use (along with nearly everyone else's) that the M1 lives up to all of the sensible "hype".  If it doesn't do it for you, then YOU're doing something wrong. Again you make a lot of claims but never seem to reply to, or with, facts.

So I don't need to touch a Max/Pro MBP to have a lot of confidence it will live up to what Apple says it can do.  So far, every report from the few who have "touched" them say they do.  And spec-wise these chips between double and quadruple nearly everything in the M1 except clock speed.

But ok... let's wait until a lot more people have "touched" them... and see.  I can't wait to hear how obsolete, deficient, underpowered and overpriced they are then.

PS. For the record, the hype isn't all about how much faster they are.  That's almost just the bonus.  The hype is that they're faster, while using a fraction of the power/energy and generating a fraction of the heat. That's what allows these chips to go into the low end machines, machines that have never seen this kind of performance till now. Meanwhile the M1 Max is wiping the floor with Server grade Xeons and desktop graphics cards, from inside a 3.5lb laptop with 17 hours of battery.
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingam