New M1 Pro, M1 Max MacBook Pros support more displays than M1 Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2021
The new Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max processors expand the number of external displays you can connect to a MacBook Pro up to four depending on processor versus one external on M1 portable hardware.

Apple announced the new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips at Monday's "Unleashed" event, alongside the new 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro models. In addition to being faster and more capable than their predecessors, the new chips also allow for more external displays.

The M1 processor can run a single external display using Thunderbolt 4 with the embedded DisplayPort 1.4 spec beyond the integrated display on a portable, or a HDMI display on the Mac mini. This means you can have a single 6K monitor like the Pro Display XDR or a single 4K monitor attached at any time through the USB-C ports.

The M1 Pro processor doubles that number, allowing a user to attach up to two 6K resolution monitors at 60Hz.

The M1 Max goes even further, allowing a user to connect up to three 6K resolution displays and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz. Apple points out that this is over 75 million pixels of screen real estate, all without needing to use any specialized adapters.

The tech details also specify that the new MacBook Pro models still feature native DisplayPort output over USB-C and support for an additional display over HDMI. However, those who wish to utilize VGA, DVI, or Thunderbolt 2 displays will need to purchase adapters.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

The tech details also specify that the new MacBook Pro models still feature native DisplayPort output over USB-C and support for an additional display over HDMI. However, those who wish to utilize VGA, DVI, or Thunderbolt 2 displays will need to purchase adapters.

Indeed.  I can't believe they left out VGA, DVI and TB2.  Insane.  I want the SCSI port back too.  Apple is doomed.

williamlondonbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    HDMI 2.0 apparently. Weird, but I expect sharing bandwidth with the SD slot meant not worth it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    HDMI 2.0 apparently. Weird, but I expect sharing bandwidth with the SD slot meant not worth it.
    That's a touch disappointing.  Not that I need 2.1 for anything in particular, but it seems a little remiss of Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Detnator said:

Indeed.  I can't believe they left out VGA, DVI and TB2.  Insane.  I want the SCSI port back too.  Apple is doomed.

I can’t believe there’s no RS232 ports!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    seanj said:
    Detnator said:

I can’t believe there’s no RS232 ports!
    I know, right? I've got a CAD app I wrote some years ago. I really hoped I'd be able to run it this time around. But no... They keep refusing to bring back the punch card reader I need for it.

They're so out of touch with what real pro users need.

;)
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It's going to be really awkward to talk about the M1 Max as opposed to the M1 Macs.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    crowley said:
    It's going to be really awkward to talk about the M1 Max as opposed to the M1 Macs.
    Lol good point. And I suppose also the M1 Max Macs?
    edited October 2021 Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Seems to me Apple has been kicked back to its senses after the Jonny Ive Era of Elegance, in which pure beauty outshone functionality. I would be delight to shed my overheated Intel-based iMac with its equally overheated hubs for a cool-operating Apple notebook with the proper ports to my peripherals, such as POWER, for heaven's sake.. I still wish an ethernet port upon US; or ethernet cable with thunderbolt as its connector.